Submitting a package to NMC

Is it ok to submit a package to NMC for initial approval EVEN IF you are aware of some missing schooling? I have most everything ready to go, but during this time of year, class convening dates are a bit sparse. Is it better to let NMC tell you everything you still need, or submit, hoping you got it right?

In the past, an hopefully still, once your application was receive it would remain active for I think a year. You had that time to get everything caught up. Then once you got approval to test you had a year to finish testing.
Is that still the case, gang:?

NMC sent me an email this week saying that I had 90 days to get it done. I’m gonna be really busy. The good part is I found a source for my old sea service records…I think. I hope.

"Please provide the following information :ADVANCED FIRE FIGHTING CERTIFICATE FIRE FIGHTING/FIRE PREVENTION CERTIFICAT PERSONAL SURVIVAL TECHNIQUES CERTIFICATE FIRST AID CERTIFICATE (STCW BST)SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITIES (STCW BST) RADAR CERTIFICATE PROFICIENCY IN THE USE OF SURVIVAL CRAFT BRIDGE RESOURCE MANAGEMENT 360 days svc while holding after 4/12/82. All of this information needs to be provided to our Houston REC.

<strong>All of the above deficiencies must be completed within 90 days from the date of this letter. If you have not provided the information/documentation within this 90 day period, you will be required to submit a new application.</strong>

Thank you for contacting the Mariner Information Call Center."

Diana Conklin

Security Assistance Corporation, Program Manager

NMC Mariner Information Help Desk

100 Forbes Drive

Martinsburg, West Virginia 25404

1-888-427-5662

IASKNMC@uscg.mil

WOW! Look out LTC, here I come!
Nemo

Oh yeah, I forgot about that 90 day thingy. That must suck for our friends working MSC. After 90 days they’re just getting warmed up.

My Unlimited Radar certificate is good for a year. My certificate of completion for the 100 Ton Near Coastal was good for a year.
Why is my application only good for 90 days?
Mr. Cavo? I know you don’t make policy and I don’t expect you to answer. I think probably you think it’s crazy too. Gotta love the guvmint.
Nemo

Your Radar cert is now good for five years, they no longer add the endorsement to your license. You only need to carry a current certificate with you.

The 90-day rule is to discourage sending in imcomplete applications, they only slow down the process. The turn around for a complete application is now low enough that you don’t need to send in an incomplete application just to get a place in line.
The 90 days is from submitting the application to being approved to test. Once you get approved to test, you have a year from the date you sent in the application to pass the exams.
Radar certificates were always good for five years, although just today I came across a cschool’s radar certificate that had printed on it that it was only good for one year. That school had some bad information and we are going to ask them to re-issue all certificates for the past five years that had that erroneous statement on them.
J<span>ames D. Cavo

</span>
<span>Chief, Mariner Training & Assessment Division

</span>
<span>USCG National Maritime Center

</span>
[<span><font color="#3354aa]James.D.Cavo</font></span><font color="#3354aa]@uscg.mil</font>](mailto:James.D.Cavo@uscg.mil)

A year from the date you send in the application to test?? NMC has had my application for well over two months now, and when I called they said they were still 8 weeks behind…I think I liked the old way of evaluations better. Make an appointment, actually talk to a person face to face, and be given some kind of information on the spot. I hope they streamline the process.
I have been hitting the books pretty hard, but waiting to hear what NMC says, before committing totally to becoming a bookworm! LOL
What is the average wait to hear from NMC??? does anyone know? They dont.

Whatever you do, keep your file away from the Long Beach, CA office.

Your files all live at NMC these days…

Relating to Retired Rats post about submitting an incomplete application package, the helpful folks at the Boston REC told me that I should bring my application package to them for review first— their role now is to vet and then submit complete applications to NMC. I was told NOT to submit my package directly to NMC, and that was confirmed by staff at NMC over the telephone.

A friend of was approved, then sit for his 2nd mate mate and passed . He has been waiting 2 months , he called today now they are telling him there is a problem with his physical . He has to show his license to get his raise in pay . Perhaps if the NMC had to pay mariners from for time they were kept from getting thier license the process might be a bit quicker.

People, get ready for more problems with physicals. With the new medical standards, your own physician can no longer determine your fitness for duty. He or she merely gathers your history and current information and passes it along to a faceless person at NMC who will decide your fate. Me, I have my fingers crossed. I only want two more renewals…

I just finished renewing my Master’s license/STCW/MMD. Submitted the package in August and had a few things missing. Sorted that out in September with Toledo REC and then it went on to Martinsburg. After they had it a month I sent one e-mail requesting status with a note explaining I only had the month of November off to jump through any hoops they might have and they advised it was up for the dreaded medical review due to my physical. They also gave me a contact e-mail of someone with the medical review department. I fired off a quick e-mail to them to further explain my condition (hearing loss) and within a week my online status showed “issued”. The license and all arrived a few days later with a letter that I must carry now (yet another piece of paper) stating that I agree to inform the USCG if my hearing gets worse. All told about 3.5 months from start to finish with both missing paperwork and a medical review.
On another note I had also applied for the SSO endorsement to my STCW and that didn’t get added nor was there any mention of it being denied. I’ll have to revisit that issue later.