Steel Toe Required, What Are The Best Work-Boots?

Update: After much deliberation over price, comfort, durability, etc. etc. I finally decided on the waterproof composite toe Chippewa’s. Hands down the MOST comfortable boot I’ve EVER slipped my foot into. The composite toe makes them extremely light, yet rugged & durable. $129.99 +tax at Baskins Western Wear in Lake Charles, La.

[ATTACH]2143[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2144[/ATTACH]

And I just bought these [U][B]composite toe ARIATS[/B][/U]!! And they’re water proof. They’re the best boots I’ve ever owned.

[QUOTE=Capnklump;76945]Update: After much deliberation over price, comfort, durability, etc. etc. I finally decided on the waterproof composite toe Chippewa’s. Hands down the MOST comfortable boot I’ve EVER slipped my foot into. The composite toe makes them extremely light, yet rugged & durable. $129.99 +tax at Baskins Western Wear in Lake Charles, La.

[ATTACH]2143[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2144[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

Good to know. The Wolverines I got (waterproof) are damm hot. They are comfortable though. Are these hot as well? I’m guessing it’s because they are waterproof.

I am a KEEN man. They are excellent in every aspect. They have industrial steel toed models.

Not sure about them being hot yet. I’ve only had them a couple of hours.

Do not try Rocky boots. Most comfortable thing I wore, but three 28 day hitches later and I couldn’t wait to take them off. Supposed to be waterproof, the sight of water made them leak. I contacted Rocky boots and heard nothing from them. Just bought a pair of Doc Martens slip on to try. Feel good so far. Timberland pro felt great and lasted me a looong time. Only thing I didn’t like was they were insulated and hot.

been wearing doc martens GUNBY brand they are a shoe type boot and last a good deal, bit expenisve up front but better than 4-5 pairs of wally world brand,oil rest., i think electrical, steel toe, and slip resitant.

I was a die hard Red Wing wearer for over ten years. I work in the E/R onboard OSV’s and AHTS’s. We walk on anything from diamond plate to grating to wood to non-skid. I also hit my toes on everything while walking thru watertight doors, crawling in bilges, you name it. If I ever had a problem with my boots, I could just take them into a a Red Wing store and they would either repair or replace the boots. Well the last two pairs that I bought did not impress me and the service that I got at two different stores was terrible. I had worn the lace-up and Pecos and loved them. The last two pairs that I bought were each priced at around $250 each. Neither pair lasted over a year before the soles were worn down to zero tread on the first pair and the toes were torn down to the steel toe on the second pair. Upon taking each of these pairs of boots to Red Wing for service I was told that they would not be serviced under warrantee. I found out that Red Wing has revised their warrantee to not cover repairs anymore. And at $250 a pair, that’s ridiculous. I have since switched over to Ariat which has proven itself for a much lower price. The latest brand of boots that I am wearing are the Thorogood 804-4441. These are waterproof, cordura skinned, rubber capped toe, electrical hazard, composite toe pull on boots. Let me tell you these things are AWESOME! They are extremely light weight and comfortable with soles that have held up to anything that I walk on and remind you, I work in the Engineroom. Goodyear (the tire company) makes the soles for these boots. I’ve never seen anything come even close to the rubber on these things, not even Vibram is this good. Thorogood is actually a company that has made bunker boots for firefighters for longer than I’ve been alive. They got into the work boot market ten or so years ago and they are knocking it out of the park with their products. Just some food for thought. Here’s the link below for the boots that I have, check 'em out.

http://www.weinbrennerusa.com/dspNavCategory.cfm?rootID=1&catID=115&prodid=611

I wear Red Wings… expensive and a bitch and a half to break in but they have been my reliable little buddies.

I abandoned wedge soles as a green 3rd when I slipped on a ladder and knocked myself in the face. I’d at least avoid them…

2 Likes

Over the last few years i’ve been buying from their irish setter line. May just be me but it seems they break in way quicker compared to the pecos I used to exclusively wear.

2 Likes

I hated the Pecos series. They were provided to us by the company, but i hated them enough to just wear my own boots. Then the company switched to a different model #4448. Loved them. Super comfortable for me and i ended up buying them on my own dime later.

I wear the 6 inch #606 model. Things have taken a beating and show no signs of quitting.

1 Like

If you have wide feet, give Timberland Pro " Boon Dock " Anti fatigue soul and heel, with a composite toe a try .
They have outlasted my redwings and are a bit lower on price tag. Very comfortable and light weight.
Wear right out of the box like a broke in pair of redwings.
Last I checked the regular toe is only available in a dark brown.
( Black is supposed to come back into production soon )
The newer ones are available in black and dark brown but all have that new style toe guard. Still they are not too bad, They just look like a bit different than a traditional " boon dock "with a polished toe.