Shell could abandon Arctic after this season

[QUOTE=Tups;188011]When I lived in Svalbard, they talked about the past drilling campaigns on the archipelago. As far as I know, they never found economically viable deposits. Bringing a nuclear-powered icebreaker to Svea would have been… interesting.

By the way, no-one questioned your knowledge about Arctic oil drilling. Singapore has produced more icebreaking offshore vessels than all the American shipyards combined.*

(* that would be two against one, but as they say, you can’t be just a little bit pregnant…)[/QUOTE]

Then maybe this brings back memories?: https://www.trollheimsporten.no/soendagsbrev-fra-svalbard.4792486-159129.html

BTW; No Russian ice breaker was used, but contact was established and cost estimate was made just in case we should need to bring in additional supplies in the middle of winter. (Emergency procedure in case of blow-out etc.)

To transport the rig and supplies to Svea a Jebsen ship that was ice strengthen and due to carry the last load of coal from Longyearbyen that year was used at less than 25% of the cost of bringing in ice strengthened AHTSs from Canada, as originally proposed.
Return voyage was not until the ice had broken in the fjord the next summer.

Land transport from there was by sledge and snowmobile, which was only allowed after 1.Jan. to protect the fauna and flora from any damages.

No, nothing was found and not a single arctic plant, or aquatic insect was destroyed in the process.

PS> I was never on Svalbard. By the time they actually did the job I was safely back in Singapore.

You mean this ice breaking standby/field support vessel?:

I did a Suitability & Condition Survey of this one in Singapore before delivery from Keppel Singmarine last year:

She has just entered service in the Caspian a few weeks ago, together with the two ice classed AHTS built in China.

Keppel Singmarine has actually built many ice class and ice breaking vessels, not only two: http://www.keppelom.com/en/content.aspx?sid=2581

[QUOTE=ombugge;188019]You mean this ice breaking standby/field support vessel?:[/QUOTE]

Those are Arc4/Arc5 ice class vessels. I’m talking about Varandey and Toboy which are real icebreakers.

[QUOTE=Tups;188021]Those are Arc4/Arc5 ice class vessels. I’m talking about Varandey and Toboy which are real icebreakers.[/QUOTE]

OK you are right. Actually the standby vessel is Arc 5 while the two AHTS are Arc 3, as far as I can remember.

Any idea why it took so long to get these vessels to work?? (Or was it slow reporting)

[QUOTE=ombugge;188025]Any idea why it took so long to get these vessels to work?? (Or was it slow reporting)[/QUOTE]

I know it’s been a long project, but I don’t know the reason for the delays.

Another piece of news related to Shell’s Arctic adventure:

Direct link to the report:

http://turvallisuustutkinta.fi/material/attachments/otkes/tutkintaselostukset/fi/vesiliikenneonnettomuuksientutkinta/2015/8exnQOEJ5/Fennica_ROI_Signed_Redacted.pdf

from the news page:

Coast Guard CommandantAdm. Paul Zukunftand Arctic Caucus co-chairmanSen. Angus King, discuss the need for additional heavy icebreakers to protect U.S. economic and security interests and to enforce our own sovereignty.

The yanks are coming to finish what they started in the cold war. How do I get this bitter taste out of my mouth?

See the Aiviq is back in Fourchon. Was wondering where they had gone after Terminal 5 was empty.

Yup Aiviq, Dino chouest, nanuq, & ross chouest have all gone home to the GOM the party is over.

The party isn’t over I found some more work while I was up there. I also have some people kicking the tires on the Aiviq. All and all the Alaska venture could have been worse.

[QUOTE=rshrew;190120]Yup Aiviq, Dino chouest, nanuq, & ross chouest have all gone home to the GOM the party is over.[/QUOTE]

Good riddance !

Blow us!!!

Somebody is working to revive Arctic drilling and exploitation.
No, not the Congress members,(they are busy with more important issues) but the people that have a direct interest in such a revival:

Looks like Aiviq’s been out this year, retrieving anchors and breaking some ice:

The most exiting well in the Barents Sea, or anywhere in the Norwegian Arctic will be drilled next year: http://sysla.no/2016/11/16/oljeenergi/den-mest-spennende-bronnen-som-er-boret-i-norge-pa-tiar_175190/
If the prospect is anywhere near correct, this could be the first “Elephant” to be found in ice free Arctic waters.

#MAGA

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;192541]http://www.star-telegram.com/news/business/article114931993.html
#MAGA[/QUOTE]

Not good news for the oil price and Offshore workers.
More cheap oil on the market = low prices = less deep water and Arctic exploration = less work for Mariners.

When did West Texas become Arctic anyway??

Well we can all go work in some capacity in the land drilling sector since you’re so hellbent on building drone ships to put us all out of work

[QUOTE=Tups;192530]Looks like Aiviq’s been out this year, retrieving anchors and breaking some ice:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/11/05/technology/arctic-drone-ship-navigate[/QUOTE]

well, it will be the last thing that any offshore or drilling related vessel will have done up there. At least for quite a while:

Obama rescinds Arctic offshore drilling proposal

The end.

[QUOTE=Drill Bill;192633]well, it will be the last thing that any offshore or drilling related vessel will have done up there. At least for quite a while:

Obama rescinds Arctic offshore drilling proposal

The end.[/QUOTE]

pretty much all meaningless now. the fracking revolution has rendered offshore Arctic energy simply too expensive to recover for the foreseeable future and even though there might still be massive plays in the Chukchi Sea, no major will have any interest in spending the massive quantities of cash to explore for them as long as the world is finding more than enough oil and gas from far lower cost provinces.

even the GoM with its huge already developed infrastructure will have a hard time competing with “cheap oil” even when the price of crude recovers to over $80/bbl. I expect lackluster effort there for at least a decade to come now. We have past the two year mark on yet another oil bust just like in the 80’s. I am shocked that after two years no major company has fallen on its face. Certainly in 2017 somebody will go starting with Tidewater. There will also be at least one driller to go belly up. It simply must happen.