SF State MBA vs CMA MBA

Just want to rant for a moment.
I spent 5 years enlisted in the Coast Guard. I have a 100 ton and all the certs I’ve ever needed. I have four AA degrees, an undergrad in management, and a Masters in Business. I’ve worked as a commercial diver, a Dockmaster, and a charter captain, for a total of 15 years on the water paying taxes. After my second child was born, and Bush Jr sign the post 911 Gi Bill into action, I decided to go to school. CMA was my first choice, though I couldn’t stand the thought of going to sea and leaving the kiddos behind at such a young age. So I continued to work on the water and I put myself through 7 years of school… Now, and I graduated over a year ago, I am stuck competing with CMA guys at every interview I go to. My MBA is garbage in the maritime industry. The CMA guys I know, who have no experience on the water other than with what they did at school, are out there raking in 6 figures a year. Well fuck.

It feels good to get that out.

Where is your MBA from? How do you have so many degrees and still work?

Lots of people have MBA’s these days. The 2000’s were the years of “everybody get’s an MBA”. Pieces of paper aren’t always as important as the saleswoman (admissions people) make them out to be…just how it is.

Pedigree matters in the real world. Academy grads carry a certain respect due to history of their schools. 1 degree, fulltime = approx 4-5 years to obtain at an academy (plus summers).

An MBA still means a lot in an office, even at a shipping company. They just don’t mean much as far as officers onboard go. Are you now trying to sail? If so, your real problem is that shipping really sucks right now and there are almost no jobs to be had. Have you joined a union yet? How are you trying to find work?

[QUOTE=Bradley_DSCompany;182949] My MBA is garbage in the maritime industry. The CMA guys I know, who have no experience on the water other than with what they did at school, are out there raking in 6 figures a year. Well fuck.[/QUOTE]

I think the reason is that the business programs at the various academies are industry focused. I think some of the course in the masters programs at CMA include courses in Port and Terminal Management and Transportation Law. Like others have mentioned, academies have a rich history and a strong support of fellow alumni. Hiring managers love to bring on the new faces that have just joined the alumni ranks because they remember what life was like at the academy.

Cheers!

Six figure salaries in the maritime world are almost all sailing jobs or upper management ashore which can take years to reach.

[QUOTE=Tkoval;183083]Six figure salaries in the maritime world are almost all sailing jobs or upper management ashore which can take years to reach.[/QUOTE]

Although not upper management, it took me about 12 years ashore to hit six figures. . .

[QUOTE=Tkoval;183083]Six figure salaries in the maritime world are almost all sailing jobs or upper management ashore which can take years to reach.[/QUOTE]

And if you are making that salaried, expect to be working at least 60hr a week, emails on weekends and night, phone always ringing…etc etc. Well, that is unless you work for uncle Sam in a cushy .gov job. My peers that went the GS route are making more and have a better lifestyle than those that went private sector (on average). Funny how the .gov people still compalin they are underpaid/overworked HAHAHAHA.

[QUOTE=johnny.dollar;183096]And if you are making that salaried, expect to be working at least 60hr a week, emails on weekends and night, phone always ringing…etc etc. [/QUOTE]

So funny! I remember I attended a hiring event and a representative from one of the big terminal management companies told me that the starting salary for a newly hired office type fresh out of the academy was something in the ballpark of $50K…salaried…60-70 hours a week. NO OT…WTH?!

We the People and our Civil Servants…

[video=metacafe;an-cidm2ttYYhY2t/blazing_saddles_1974_reunion_at_the_railroad/]http://www.metacafe.com/watch/an-cidm2ttYYhY2t/blazing_saddles_1974_reunion_at_the_railroad/[/video]

If you get a job as a Cop, you make $80K a year with a 90% pension after 30 years.
If you rise to a Captain, it’s $140K with a $126K pension after 30 years.

Yes, my neighbor is 55 years old making a 125K pension.

MBA is from SF State. I always worked full time while I was in school, took mostly night classes and a few online classes.
I get that the value of an MBA, and most degrees, don’t hold the weight they used too. And, of course, hiring agents want to support from specific schools. I suppose my rant was in anger, or at least frustration. I hate to leave maritime work, though I have to pay back these loans.

Thanks for the response. I’ve been looking at all the shipping terminals, and some of the ship yards, in the Northern California. I promised my kids I would not go to see, so that eliminates a lot of possibilities. I’ve spoken with a few unions, and am considering all of my options.
Well, I am currently working, and I have a great job with a great title. It just doesn’t pay. Also, I want to continue building a strong resume with a maritime (or at least marine) history. I am mostly searching through Indeed, GCaptain, USAJobs, and even craigslist when I find time. I’ve landed a few interviews (again I’m searching for a position that matches my salary requirements) and I really feel that not having a degree from a maritime academy is my biggest enemy. During an interview with BAE I was actually told, “we were just curious to meet you, we normally get CMA guys in here.”

• Updated - - -

You’re right. I learned this too late. The maritime industry is a very tight circle, and my experience just doesn’t break into that.
Thanks for the response.

• Updated - - -

Six figures is the mode salary in San Francisco. And you’re right, in the maritime industry it can take years to reach. I think I fucked it up when I focused on general school, instead of looking for a specific cert. And I feel like I’ve served my time. I have 5 years on see going vessels, and another two on inland ferries, followed by 5 years in the marina business. I don’t know…
Thanks

• Updated - - -

I think you’re right. I’m looking at a few DHS/Coast Guard GS positions. GS-12 starts at the lower end of what I’m looking for. And it look like I have the experience and degrees required. Thanks for the input!

• Updated - - -

Fresh out of the academy implies no experience. I am competing with guys with experience, who went back to school to work on grad and post grad degrees. I just went to the wrong school. I didn’t think it would matter so much.

[QUOTE=Bradley_DSCompany;183239]

I think you’re right. I’m looking at a few DHS/Coast Guard GS positions. GS-12 starts at the lower end of what I’m looking for. And it look like I have the experience and degrees required. Thanks for the input!

• Updated - - -

Fresh out of the academy implies no experience. I am competing with guys with experience, who went back to school to work on grad and post grad degrees. I just went to the wrong school. I didn’t think it would matter so much.[/QUOTE]

Don’t get bummed, get even. The modern world of HR departments and our shitty ass on-going recession have made jobs shit for 90% of Americans (but of course, “jobs numbers” don’t reflect this). You are just experiencing this.

This is just input from a stranger on the internet, but if I were you, I wouldn’t fight the system. Well first, I wouldn’t leave anywhere near San Fran, but that’s different discussion lol.

You are trying to get into cliques that fill from a fraternity. In the good times, you may get in because they need more bodies than the frat can provide…it’s not the good times.

Instead, you should try to join the group that sucks from your Frat…US .gov jobs as GS or law enforcement. To be the corollary to your story, I have a friend that for years tried to get on as a federal agent (FBI, DEA, Customs, ETC) and he has degree and good work experience. He kept getting passed over for people with military service and “points”.

I know others that were white collar engineers and the like, with amazing valid experience and work ethic, and they could never get GS jobs because (often incompetent) candidates would beat them with points, etc. The .gov is a tight night union racket…unless one joins right out of college (less pay to start, but I assure you they promote fast with automatic pay increases!) or did some time in the .mil, the outsider with 5-10 years experience is a nothing–I’ve literally been told my experience completing the .gov project (which .gov can’t do for themselves because they are too stupid) was not valid because I don’t know the .gov “system”.

Anyway, my point is don’t fight the system. Play on a team that makes it easier. Just start doing mass applications to ALL .gov jobs, even if you don’t like it. Because the other thing people don’t know is this: once you get in the system, you have access to do lateral transfers to jobs only open to .gov workers. You join the secret club!

PS: even if you go .gov and take lower pay, I assure you the opportunity for moving up will come much faster than if you are private sector. PLUS, you get automatic yearly pay increases, just like the .mil, even if you don’t promote. Yearly “steps” do not happen in the real world.

[QUOTE=johnny.dollar;183096]And if you are making that salaried, expect to be working at least 60hr a week, emails on weekends and night, phone always ringing…etc etc. Well, that is unless you work for uncle Sam in a cushy .gov job. My peers that went the GS route are making more and have a better lifestyle than those that went private sector (on average). Funny how the .gov people still compalin they are underpaid/overworked HAHAHAHA.[/QUOTE]

It’s the shit rolls downhill theory. Still stands true today.