Seriously...what could a person do with an old US Coast Guard icebreaker?

[QUOTE=Steamer;112653]I sometimes get a little twinge and wonder about not taking that job. I kind of look at it like sailing on the OP, one of those things you just have to do because there isn’t anything else like it in the world and no matter how miserable it might have been I wouldn’t trade the experience for anything … not that I care to repeat it anytime soon.[/QUOTE]

I am also an OP survivor from many years ago…something to do one time to say you did it and to be able to tell the seastories afterward. Of the two, PEMBINA won the prize for better stories…she was a real working cargo ship and OP was, well something else!

[QUOTE=c.captain;112609]for a long time Marcon had a 180 bouytender for sale which was in Lake Huron I believe and had been in fresh water its whole life. Price was only $200k.[/QUOTE]

Here’s what a guy i the bay area did withn his ex-buoy tender (ex-USCGC White Holly) when we wouldn’t let him use it for RFPNW training:

http://www.pbase.com/schardt/chaos902

[QUOTE=Steamer;112622]The CG has an interesting history of donating the things.

I remember seeing one docked at Colon around 2000 waiting for a convoy. Story is it had been donated to a non-profit in California.[/QUOTE]

Here’s one of the uses the second private owner of the White Holly mentioned in the artcle put it to after we wouldn’t approve his attempt to use it as “training ship” for STCW assessments and training, incklusding live fire exercises (they wanted us to allow them to set real fires on their vessel):

http://www.pbase.com/schardt/chaos902

I have herd several of those evil rich people you loath so much have bought surplus icebreakers and converted them into expedition yachts. I saw an article in a yachting magazine about the refit of an old ex-Canadian CG icebreaker. It turned out to be very nice and very functional. It wassnt your normal shiny spit and polish yacht. They had a 30 foot sportfisher boat on the deck and several smaller boats. They used it for trips to Antarctica and everywhere in between.

You could break ice with it. Or go ice fishing.

For the yachting baron who wants to make his own giant ice cubes!

You can also convert them to expedition cruise ships:

www.shipspotting.com/gallery/search.php?search_imo=6905745
www.shipspotting.com/gallery/search.php?search_imo=5308938

Of course, most real icebreakers that have been decommissioned have been scrapped. Or sunk.

[QUOTE=Tups;188393]You can also convert them to expedition cruise ships:

www.shipspotting.com/gallery/search.php?search_imo=6905745
www.shipspotting.com/gallery/search.php?search_imo=5308938

Of course, most real icebreakers that have been decommissioned have been scrapped. Or sunk.[/QUOTE]

Karlsen Shipping Co. Ltd. went bust and the Polar Star was put up for sale: https://www.pwc.com/ca/en/car/karlsen/assets/ksc-003_062811.pdf
Does anyone know what happened to her??

[QUOTE=ombugge;188395]Does anyone know what happened to her??[/QUOTE]

Still rotting in the Canary Islands, waiting for someone to tow her to Aliaga:

Interesting that they left the bow propulsion motors in place after removing the propellers and bossings. I guess they were too difficult to remove.

[QUOTE=Tups;188398]Still rotting in the Canary Islands, waiting for someone to tow her to Aliaga:

Interesting that they left the bow propulsion motors in place after removing the propellers and bossings. I guess they were too difficult to remove.[/QUOTE]

This appears to be a 2011 report. Any newer updates?

[QUOTE=ombugge;188414]This appears to be a 2011 report. Any newer updates?[/QUOTE]

The latest photographs in ShipSpotting.com are from April 2016 with the following caption: 07/04/2016, AstiCan shipyard, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. Still here, after several years now, & detained alongside, after the Canadian owners went bankrupt. No recent news heard of her future fate.

Also, if the ship’s condition was described as poor in 2011, it hasn’t likely become better over the years.

[QUOTE=Tups;188433]The latest photographs in ShipSpotting.com are from April 2016 with the following caption: 07/04/2016, AstiCan shipyard, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. Still here, after several years now, & detained alongside, after the Canadian owners went bankrupt. No recent news heard of her future fate.

Also, if the ship’s condition was described as poor in 2011, it hasn’t likely become better over the years.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I didn’t click on the picture to get the full fact.
Yes, it look very much like this one will end her days in Aligia, just as soon as everybody agrees to cut their losses.