Sea Service for Oceans Unlimited Upgrade

Can one upgrade from 3rd Mate Unlimited Oceans to 2nd Mate Unlimited Oceans if they tested under the new system (after 2002) with sea time as follows : 180 days as mate on vessel over 1600 GT on [B]NEAR COASTAL[/B] and 360 days as AB on a vessel over 200 GT (while holding 3rd mate) on [B]INLAND[/B]? Does [B]ALL[/B] the sea service have to be on Near Coastal Waters or Oceans to upgrade 2nd Mate Unlimited Oceans?

I’m not sure about the inland/coastal.oceans thing but I am pretty sure you need 360 days as 3rd mate. Don’t know if the AB time will count towards your 2nd. Check CFR 46 Chapter 10

46CFR10.406 says that the vessels you serve on are to be “[I][B]ocean[/B][/I] steam or motor vessels”

The only thing that I can make out of that is that the vessels you serve cannot be vessels restricted to “inland waters only” although my reading of this is that it doesn’t matter what waters your service was on.

I would even think a vessel with a small passenger vessel (ie. <100grt)with a 20mile COI would qualify. One would think that the grand evaluation wizards in the NMC (PDQ’s or whatever they are called) would know for sure, but for them to know anything for sure is highly dubious at best!

good luck!

Hi,
This is the E-CFR reference:
[B]§ 10.406 Service requirements for second mate of ocean or near coastal steam or motor vessels of any gross tons.[/B]

top The minimum service required to qualify an applicant for license as second mate of ocean or near coastal steam or motor vessels of any gross tons is:
(a) One year of service as officer in charge of a navigational watch on ocean steam or motor vessels while holding a license as third mate; or,
(b) While holding a license as third mate of ocean steam or motor vessels of any gross tons, 12 months of service on deck as follows:
(1) A minimum of six months service as officer in charge of a deck watch on ocean steam or motor vessels; in combination with,
(2) Service on ocean steam or motor vessels as boatswain, able seaman, or quartermaster while holding a certificate as able seaman, which may be accepted on a two-for-one basis to a maximum allowable substitution of six months (12 months of experience equals 6 months of creditable service); or,
© A licensed master of Great Lakes and inland steam or motor vessels of any gross tons or master of inland steam or motor vessels of any gross tons, may obtain a license as second mate of ocean or near coastal steam or motor vessels of any gross tons by completing the prescribed examination in subpart I of this part.
[CGD 81–059, 52 FR 38623, Oct. 16, 1987, as amended at 54 FR 138, Jan. 4, 1989]

MTSKIER