Schedule for a deckhand for young brothers

Hi I am writing a report for my high school English class about a deckhands work schedule.

What is your schedule like? I know you work 6 months on, 6 months off but how far in advance do you know when you’ll be able to go “home” for a bit? Or would it be more common to only know you’re able to go home a week ahead of time?

My uncle works for young brothers but right now he’s on the boat so I can’t ask him this. Please help!

I work on a tug and my schedule is 4 weeks on 4 weeks off. I typically pencil in my days on a calendar at home for the whole year. Crew change may end up being a few days off but we adjust the next crew change and try and stay on schedule.

The deckhands at my company typically work 6 weeks on 6 weeks off. Some of the schedule is based on being in a port with an airport. In the winter delays can happen due to bad weather. Some of our guys came from the gulf of mexico and said they worked 4 weeks on 2 weeks off. Hope this helps. Good luck with your report. Let us know how you did.

1 Like

Those schedules suck, I started at 3 on 3 off and now it’s 2 and 2.

With regards to the Original Posters question any work schedule would likely revolve around the sailing schedules they maintain. According to their website Young Brothers has weekly round trip sailings to 6 ports in the neighboring islands as well as charter carriage. Conjecture on my part but it is very likely the work schedules would be in multiples of 7 (days). If any of the boats did strictly harbor work rotations could be very short.

I worked 2 and 2 and didn’t care for it. Too much travel time for me and it was only a three hour drive.

Young Brothers , if I recall correctly was once a real old Hawaii company owned by Dillingham (owned by the Bishop Trust). You cannot get more Hawaii than that.

However, Young Btothers is now owned by Foss , which is owned by Saltchuk (which also owns TOTE and a bunch of other companies).

Young Brothers, like most tug companies operating in Hawaii, cannot find enough properly licensed local crew. Wages are not high enough to support a family living in high cost Hawaii. They have to hire guys from the Mainland.

I’m a few years out of date on Hawaii, but as I recall hearing, I stress, hearing, Young Brothers does not pay travel, the wages are relatively low compared to the Pacific Northwest, so it is not practical for crew to pay for much of their own travel out of pocket. So the crews tend to work for several months straight at a time.

I once knew guys that worked on Hawaii tugs. for about six months at a time and lived in Thailand on their time off. Don’t know if anyone is still doing that.

Thank you for all your help! I appreciate it. I ended up getting an A on my paper and I will be writing another one on employment on Sause Bros.

2 Likes