Sailing Endorsement

A real sailor doesn’t need wind! Wind is just a crutch. A real salty sailor can move his sailing ship by sheer will power alone.

1 Like

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;183965]A real sailor doesn’t need wind! Wind is just a crutch. A real salty sailor can move his sailing ship by sheer will power alone.[/QUOTE]

In any case, a typical private sailboat “captain” doesn’t have to worry about traffic because the one and only rule of the road he is aware of is that sailboats have the right of way, period.

[QUOTE=Lee Shore;183966]In any case, a typical private sailboat “captain” doesn’t have to worry about traffic because the one and only rule of the road he is aware of is that sailboats have the right of way, period.[/QUOTE]

“Captain”?? You mean a WAFI??

[QUOTE=ombugge;183974]“Captain”?? You mean a WAFI??[/QUOTE]

Hence the quotation marks.

I’m reviving this thread more out of curiosity than anything, about to sit for my CM/Master Unlimited exam and was wondering about tacking on an Aux. Sail endorsement down the road. All I can really find on NMC is the checklist for issuance and a few scattered references via google to the sea time requirements.

Now if I’m understanding what I read right, the sea time for aux sail is “lifetime” with no date limitation, is that right? Also, how does that work for tonnage limitations? I’m assuming (if I pass the exam and all) that the license would be CM Unlimited and then Aux Sail 100 Tons? Or how in the heck does that work? I’ve sailed with a guy that had 2nd mate Unlimited (steam, motor, and Aux Sail) and granted, he had tall ship time… but was that Aux sail unlimited because of the 2nd Mate license? Or was it because he had the time on the sailing ships?

He would have been required to have time on an unlimited tonnage sailing ship, though I’ve heard of some slipping through the cracks. You would have a second license for “self propelled vessels including auxiliary sail” of whatever appropriate tonnage unless you have the sail tonnage required to add it to your highest license.

1 Like

That’s kinda what I figured. Just wasn’t sure if I was reading the directives right or not. …and the guy had the actual time on big square riggers so that makes sense.

However, there doesn’t seem to be a criteria for unlimited on the checklist as it only seems to go up to 1600 tons, and I’m not sure there are any sailing ships over 1600 tons anyway. :hmmm: So maybe I misread his MMC?

It is possible to get an unlimited sail license but the Eagle is the only US vessel big enough that I’m aware of. There are a number of foreign square riggers that are unlikely though.

1 Like

Knew I should have gone to the USCGA when I had the chance all those years ago… :facepalm: :smiley: