S. 3535, Repeal the Jones Act Bill

Hello,

Are there any updates on S. 3525, McCain’s bill to repeal the Jones Act?

I truly hope it has been shot down in committee.

Also, has any attempted repeal of the Jones Act ever come close in the Congress?

Thanks in advance!

[B]BTW I meant to put S. 3525 in the Thread Title.[/B]

Here’s a link to the bill’s status:

From this site:

[B] "Latest Major Action: [/B]6/24/2010 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on Finance. "

So it has apparently been sitting in committee for the past five months.

the link does not work
can you post another one

Hmmm… sorry I didn’t check that out after posting.

Try this link:

Then go to the center of the page and enter S.3525 in the search box. Then click “Bill Number” just above the box.

That should work.

Don’t remember how close it came to succeeding, but in the '90s there was a huge fight with ADM and ConAgra. They centered on the high cost of US ships transporting less than 1% of US grains in relief aid. Wasn’t long after that they allowed Alaska crude to start shipping to other than the west coast. There were serious doubts about the survival of the US fleet until Maritime Security Program “saved” the day.

[QUOTE=RkyMtn Paul;44287]Don’t remember how close it came to succeeding, but in the '90s there was a huge fight with ADM and ConAgra. They centered on the high cost of US ships transporting less than 1% of US grains in relief aid. Wasn’t long after that they allowed Alaska crude to start shipping to other than the west coast. There were serious doubts about the survival of the US fleet until Maritime Security Program “saved” the day.[/QUOTE]

Would you say that the US flagged merchant fleet is safer today? Are the survival of the Jones Act and the survival of the US Merchant Marine more likely than before?

[QUOTE=SaltySailor;44249]Hello,

Are there any updates on S. 3525, McCain’s bill to repeal the Jones Act?

I truly hope it has been shot down in committee.

Also, has any attempted repeal of the Jones Act ever come close in the Congress?

Thanks in advance!

[B]BTW I meant to put S. 3525 in the Thread Title.[/B][/QUOTE]

Checked today with people in the know and it is going nowhere fast