Quickest/Cheapest Deck Officer and STCW Courses

Navy guy working to get mny deck license. (See submariner thread). Given that I have a great deal of deep draft ocean experience but do not have courses that count for license or stcw:

What’s the Fastest and least expensive way to get them done? I know about MSC training ctrs which I can go to but it looks like they only have safety, firefighting and survival.

What I really need is radar, gmdss, bridge mgmt, etc… I have the knowledge but not the schools!

Are there any alternate hours courses (nights, wknds, distance, multiweek crash course, etc…) options? MD/VA area preferred but would travel if it is an efficient course(s).

Thanks in advance!

Thanks!

Or another idea: tailored courses for 1 or 2 guys who need to rapidly get them done. Will MITAGS or Marine Safety or some other school do special convenings?

Call MITAGS and ask for the registrar. She’ll have some answers for you.

Just revisted the MITAGS site and found the special convenings info (after prodding from Capt_Anon). I have a buddy in the same situation as me, so maybe we can work<div>something out with MITAGS.</div><br><div>I’ll wait and see what deficiencies USCG notes in my application and then see about structuring my course work.</div><br><div>Thanks!</div>

If you find some cheap fast training option post the info cuz you’ll probably more than one friend that wants to go along.

Subguy, try this <span class=a><font color=#008000><A href="http://www.mamatrains.com/]www.mamatrains.com/</A><br><br>Mid Atlantic is a new training center for unlimited licenses (used to be Tidewater Marine I think?) I recently took about 7 of my C/M classes there in Feb/March, good people, good training. They do have an active AB-to-Mate type of program, infact theres a former Sub guy there right now taking classes for his 3rd mate, (just be careful throwing that out there…you might not want to be “TO” closely associated)<br><br>There right off of N.Hampton, near Little Creek Amphib base, if youre there in Oct (headed back to finish my C/M classes) I’ll take ya striper fishing!!<br><br>Good Luck</font></span>

Call<span class="-a " tag=“a] </span><span class=”-a " tag="a]Maritime Professional Training(</span> [www.mptusa.com/schedule/index.html](http://Maritime Professional Training)) Ft. Lauderdale at<span style=“border-collapse: collapse; line-height: normal; ]<span class=”-a " tag="a] +1-954-525-1014, and ask for Amy. </span></span><div><div><span style="border-collapse: collapse; font-family: tahoma; line-height: normal;]<br></span></div><div><span style="border-collapse: collapse; font-family: tahoma; line-height: normal; ]Julie should answer the phone, and she can give you the quick and dirty, but Amy is the gal you need to talk to. If you’re paired up with another officer, she might be able to run the two of you through the required classes independently of a regular class, and of course, you can TDY to the Naval Station there for something?? maybe? Besides, there may be a few other things that may need to be checked out in FLL while you’re there. An added benefit would be that Amy did sit on the MERPAC (<span style="border-collapse: separate; font-family: Times; font-size: 12px; ]Merchant Marine Personnel Advisory Committee) <span style="border-collapse: collapse; font-family: tahoma; font-size: 13px; ]for a number of years, and can guide you through the tangle of requirements, and help you “ask” for the “right things” at NMC. </span></span></span></div><div><span style="border-collapse: collapse; font-family: tahoma; line-height: normal;]<br></span></div><div><span style="border-collapse: collapse; font-family: tahoma; line-height: normal; ]<span style="border-collapse: separate; font-family: Times; font-size: 12px; ]<span style="border-collapse: collapse; font-family: tahoma; font-size: 13px; ]As an alternative, RTM/STAR Center is in Dania,FL and can most likely be an alternative if MPT can’t get every thing you need in one shot.</span></span></span></div><div><span style="border-collapse: collapse; font-family: tahoma; line-height: normal;]<br></span></div><div><span style="border-collapse: collapse; font-family: tahoma; line-height: normal;]I would say that it would be well worth your trip if it is an option.</span></div></div>

Great ideas. My buddy and I looking into the options now.

Great ideas. My buddy and I looking into the options now.

Debbie Walton is the MITAGS registrar, her direct line is 443.989.3224.

Generally, the “big” schools offer fixed course schedules. Some of the others that may tailor schedules to individual students are named above.<br><br>I am not sure Amy at MPT has ever been on MERPAC, at least in the 11 years I’ve worked for the USCG. I believe her mother may have been before I was involved with them. Nonetheless, they have been active (you don’t have to be “on” MERPAC to participate) MPT is generally knowledgeable of STCW and license requirements.<br><br>James D. Cavo<br>Chief, Mariner Training & Assessment Division<br>USCG National Maritime Center<br>[<font color="#3354aa]James.D.Cavo@uscg.mil</font>](mailto:James.D.Cavo@uscg.mil)

New Member here. I just got through 3 months of course with Mid-Atlantic Maritime. For doing the entire course, they were the cheapest ones around, and I looked at all of them. Pacific Maritime Institute in Seattle was comparatively priced, and Star Center in Toledo was $1000 cheaper, but it’s a union school,and I’m unsure if non-union members are allowed to go. MAMA is the cheapest I see, and it’s in your area. <br>Give me an email if you have any questions <br>eric@ericthibodeau.com