Question for Chief Cavo or anyone else who may Know

Can a STCW 95 be issued with just the BST diploma from an approved school?

No, an STCW certificate is not issued for BST alone.

No. You need something else such as RFPNW/RFPEW. Proficiency in Survival Craft, Medical PIC, etc.

Can it be issued in conjunction with an AB Ticket? I’m fixing to make a trip to Houston to apply for a MMD and Radar endorsement. If I have the documentation for BST completiion can I then apply for STCW-95 at the same time?

Thanks,

Nemo

[quote=Capt. Nemo;10882]Can it be issued in conjunction with an AB Ticket? I’m fixing to make a trip to Houston to apply for a MMD and Radar endorsement. If I have the documentation for BST completiion can I then apply for STCW-95 at the same time?

Thanks,

Nemo[/quote]

Capt Nemo you may want to let Capt Jim Cavo know that you already hold a 100 ton Masters and the MMD/AB is a renewal. It might make a difference.
Best to you.
10talents

AB is a rating on your MMD, it will not show on your STCW. To be issued STCW cert. you have to have BST plus Survival Craft, BRM, etc.

Is it not correct that to receive an AB unlimited endorsement you have to obtain RFPNW first as well as PSC & BST?

[QUOTE=10talents;10887]Is it not correct that to receive an AB unlimited endorsement you have to obtain RFPNW first as well as PSC & BST?[/QUOTE]

No you can have an AB ticket without the RFPNW, you just can not work as an AB on certain size vessels in certain waters

AB is not an STCW qualification. If that is all you have, and not Rating Forming Part of a Navigational Watch, you would not get an STCW certificate. Current Basic Safety Training is required for RFPNW.

No. You’re intermixing MMD endorsements with STCW qualifications. You need Lifeboatman to get AB-Unlimited, but not Proficiency in Survival Craft. To anyone working offshore who neds STCW, they are basically the same (if you get PSC you also get Lifeboatman but not always the reverse) but it’s possible to be an AB and Lifeboatman without any STCW (e.g. Great Lakes mariners).

Thanks for clarifying this for me. :slight_smile: You are better than a good compass. :cool: