Puerto Rico - Statehood and attack on the Jones Act

A foreign national might have read the constitution unlike most citizens of the USA. Civics is not a required course any more. Keep 'em dumb and you can control them. There is a bill of rights, amendments etc beyond the constitution. Most people think the constitution originally included the right to “keep and bear arms”. Actually it is an amendment to the constitution and includes the words “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State” the founders did not want a standing military. There was originally also a statement of slavery being a right of the states to decide. Civics is fun, wish they still taught it.

[QUOTE=c.captain;173042]since when does a foreign national get to comment here on the US Constitution or presidential politics? step back there SIR![/QUOTE]

I claim the 1st Amendment.

[QUOTE=tengineer1;173050]A foreign national might have read the constitution unlike most citizens of the USA. Civics is not a required course any more. Keep 'em dumb and you can control them. There is a bill of rights, amendments etc beyond the constitution. Most people think the constitution originally included the right to “keep and bear arms”. Actually it is an amendment to the constitution and includes the words “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State” the founders did not want a standing military. There was originally also a statement of slavery being a right of the states to decide. Civics is fun, wish they still taught it.[/QUOTE]

At the time that amendment was made “arms” meant mussel loaded pistols and rifles, not fully automatic assault weapons.

Besides, “We the people” that was allowed to bear them meant; “European descended protestant male land owners”, not every Tom, Dick and Annie.
Not every grumpy old mariner either. (Sorry, couldn’t resist)

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;173008]I think I’ve figured out the problem. You don’t understand how the US legal system works. It’s not one law trumps another. Laws are interwoven. We, as do many former English colonies and commonwealth nations are ruled by a common law system. Other parts of Europe, and many of their former colonies are ruled by a civil law system. To interpret law you have to take all of it into consideration, and previous rulings, to see what applies where and for what reason, it’s not all spelled out in a single chapter of CFR. So go and read the entirety of both the OCS Act and the Jones Act to find you answers.[/QUOTE]

You mean you (your Lawyer) pick a little from here and a little from there to suit your case and the other side do the same?
I presume whoever got the cleverest and most expensive Lawyer(s) win the case, unless the Judge is biased, or can be gently swayed one way or the other by a little “consideration”?

[QUOTE=ombugge;173053] mussel loaded [/QUOTE]

That must have been one heck of a weapon. Not sure PETA would allow it now a days though.

Yum. When I’m home I like to go to the pizzeria and get loaded with mussels too. Make mine Fra diavolo if you please and don’t forget the fresh warm Italian bread to dunk in the sauce.

Seriously though do you read what you are posting? I can not seem to discern any meaning in most of your posts. Are you on some kind of mission to get to a magic number of posts so you will gain some kind of credibility? When you hit 500 will a choir of angels appear above you as you sit at Newton Circus eating pepper crab? Will your nemesis suddenly see the light of your wisdom shining through? Man just think more and write less.

This was posted above every time clock at Edison’s labs:
“There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking” (Sir Joshua Reynolds)

There you go, think about that before you dash off more of your stream of consciousness ramblings.

Have a nice day.

[QUOTE=KPChief;173066]That must have been one heck of a weapon. Not sure PETA would allow it now a days though.

Yum. When I’m home I like to go to the pizzeria and get loaded with mussels too. Make mine Fra diavolo if you please and don’t forget the fresh warm Italian bread to dunk in the sauce.

Seriously though do you read what you are posting? I can not seem to discern any meaning in most of your posts. Are you on some kind of mission to get to a magic number of posts so you will gain some kind of credibility? When you hit 500 will a choir of angels appear above you as you sit at Newton Circus eating pepper crab? Will your nemesis suddenly see the light of your wisdom shining through? Man just think more and write less.

This was posted above every time clock at Edison’s labs:
“There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking” (Sir Joshua Reynolds)

There you go, think about that before you dash off more of your stream of consciousness ramblings.

Have a nice day.[/QUOTE]

Damned spell checker.

[QUOTE=c.captain;173042]since when does a foreign national get to comment here on the US Constitution or presidential politics? step back there SIR![/QUOTE]

Are you a forum moderator? No? Than take your stick and retreat to your cave.

[QUOTE=Kraken;173068]Are you a forum moderator? No? Than take your stick and retreat to your cave.[/QUOTE]

NUTS TO YOU! I speak for my fellow Americans here which are the majority of this forum. We don’t take kindly to those who are from other nations to make derogatory commentary about ours regardless of how fucked up it might be.

[QUOTE=c.captain;173069]NUTS TO YOU! I speak for my fellow Americans here which are the majority of this forum. We don’t take kindly to those who are from other nations to make derogatory commentary about ours regardless of how fucked up it might be.[/QUOTE]

This is an international forum, even if you single-handedly has chased away almost all who are trying to participate. And do you speak on behalf of all Americans? I refuse to believe that an entire country is populated by bigots like you. It was at least not the experience I gained on holiday in USA.

[QUOTE=ombugge;173067]Damned spell checker.[/QUOTE]

It’s not about the spelling. That was meant in jest. You seem to have some body of relevant knowledge but not sure what points you are making. You seem to be engaging in a cross-cultural wrestling match but to what end? Put some facts, perceptions and logic to work to make a point or ask a rhetorical question. But you know what they say about free advice. Anyway good luck.

Maybe go herehttps://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/ download the poster and check yourself against some common mistakes.

[QUOTE=Kraken;173070]This is an international forum, even if you single-handedly has chased away almost all who are trying to participate. And do you speak on behalf of all Americans? I refuse to believe that an entire country is populated by bigots like you. It was at least not the experience I gained on holiday in USA.[/QUOTE]

not chasing anyone away but just stating you are not in the majority. you may not believe that such a majority holds sway in these discussions, but think if the tables were turned and a handful of non Norwegians were making disparaging comments about Norway in a forum comprised mostly of your countrymen? I don’t think you would be too kindly disposed towards them either?

[QUOTE=c.captain;173072]not chasing anyone away but just stating you are not in the majority. you may not believe that such a majority holds sway in these discussions, but think if the tables were turned and a handful of non Norwegians were making disparaging comments about Norway in a forum comprised mostly of your countrymen? I don’t think you would be too kindly disposed towards them either?[/QUOTE]

In a discussion you come with counterarguments, this is not the Wild West where you can tar and feather someone because one disagrees. And if you hold the majority and still feel like you are under attack then you have an inferiority complex.

[QUOTE=Kraken;173073]In a discussion you come with counterarguments, this is not the Wild West where you can tar and feather someone because one disagrees. And if you hold the majority and still feel like you are under attack then you have an inferiority complex.[/QUOTE]

whatever you say…I’ll let others here answer you and ombugge. I just know I don’t care to hear your comments tearing down the USA. It is still my country and not yours!

[QUOTE=c.captain;173074]whatever you say…I’ll let others here answer you and ombugge. I just know I don’t care to hear your comments tearing down the USA. It is still my country and not yours![/QUOTE]

I have not claimed the USA for Norway, although our Viking ancestors where there first, but I do claim the right to have an opinion.
It is not as if you guys are shy about criticizing any and all other countries. Learn to debate, not take things personally.

[QUOTE=ombugge;173053]At the time that amendment was made “arms” meant mussel loaded pistols and rifles, not fully automatic assault weapons.

Besides, “We the people” that was allowed to bear them meant; “European descended protestant male land owners”, not every Tom, Dick and Annie.
Not every grumpy old mariner either. (Sorry, couldn’t resist)[/QUOTE]

Yes, and freedom of speech meant actual speech not the internet and freedom of the press meant a printing press. The constitution applies to modern technological advancement. (" Arms " meant any weapons the military possesses.)

Gun control was originally started as a racist measure to prevent black people from having guns when the KKK was persecuting them.

Yes this is why gun control is so strong in the south.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;173078]Fun control was originally started as a racist measure to prevent black people from having guns when the KKK was persecuting them.[/QUOTE]

Damn, I never knew that “Fun” Control was a Racist Measure.

As the Original Poster, I should not be surprised with how much this thread has gone off on the rails but I would really like to hear if anyone has anything to offer on the Puerto Rico situation and what changes some of you might see in the future. This is also, open to our Foreign Members as sometimes a different outlook is a good thing.

Now back to your Original Programing. :cool:

[QUOTE=Tugs;173086]Damn, I never knew that “Fun” Control was a Racist Measure.

As the Original Poster, I should not be surprised with how much this thread has gone off on the rails but I would really like to hear if anyone has anything to offer on the Puerto Rico situation and what changes some of you might see in the future. This is also, open to our Foreign Members as sometimes a different outlook is a good thing.

Now back to your Original Programing. :cool:[/QUOTE]

I would think many Americans regret the war against Spain in 1898. It made you a lot of trouble over the years. But have you learned?

Puerto Rico will probably be an expenditure for you in perpetuity.

I think we learned. We’re not planning war with Spain any more, and the countries we capture we never formally make them territories despite occupying them for years.

Actually the Vikings landed in modern day Canada not the USA, but they did not discover America, the indigenous population did.