Puerto Rico - Statehood and attack on the Jones Act

[QUOTE=ombugge;173067]Damned spell checker.[/QUOTE]

It’s not about the spelling. That was meant in jest. You seem to have some body of relevant knowledge but not sure what points you are making. You seem to be engaging in a cross-cultural wrestling match but to what end? Put some facts, perceptions and logic to work to make a point or ask a rhetorical question. But you know what they say about free advice. Anyway good luck.

Maybe go herehttps://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/ download the poster and check yourself against some common mistakes.

[QUOTE=Kraken;173070]This is an international forum, even if you single-handedly has chased away almost all who are trying to participate. And do you speak on behalf of all Americans? I refuse to believe that an entire country is populated by bigots like you. It was at least not the experience I gained on holiday in USA.[/QUOTE]

not chasing anyone away but just stating you are not in the majority. you may not believe that such a majority holds sway in these discussions, but think if the tables were turned and a handful of non Norwegians were making disparaging comments about Norway in a forum comprised mostly of your countrymen? I don’t think you would be too kindly disposed towards them either?

[QUOTE=c.captain;173072]not chasing anyone away but just stating you are not in the majority. you may not believe that such a majority holds sway in these discussions, but think if the tables were turned and a handful of non Norwegians were making disparaging comments about Norway in a forum comprised mostly of your countrymen? I don’t think you would be too kindly disposed towards them either?[/QUOTE]

In a discussion you come with counterarguments, this is not the Wild West where you can tar and feather someone because one disagrees. And if you hold the majority and still feel like you are under attack then you have an inferiority complex.

[QUOTE=Kraken;173073]In a discussion you come with counterarguments, this is not the Wild West where you can tar and feather someone because one disagrees. And if you hold the majority and still feel like you are under attack then you have an inferiority complex.[/QUOTE]

whatever you say…I’ll let others here answer you and ombugge. I just know I don’t care to hear your comments tearing down the USA. It is still my country and not yours!

[QUOTE=c.captain;173074]whatever you say…I’ll let others here answer you and ombugge. I just know I don’t care to hear your comments tearing down the USA. It is still my country and not yours![/QUOTE]

I have not claimed the USA for Norway, although our Viking ancestors where there first, but I do claim the right to have an opinion.
It is not as if you guys are shy about criticizing any and all other countries. Learn to debate, not take things personally.

[QUOTE=ombugge;173053]At the time that amendment was made “arms” meant mussel loaded pistols and rifles, not fully automatic assault weapons.

Besides, “We the people” that was allowed to bear them meant; “European descended protestant male land owners”, not every Tom, Dick and Annie.
Not every grumpy old mariner either. (Sorry, couldn’t resist)[/QUOTE]

Yes, and freedom of speech meant actual speech not the internet and freedom of the press meant a printing press. The constitution applies to modern technological advancement. (" Arms " meant any weapons the military possesses.)

Gun control was originally started as a racist measure to prevent black people from having guns when the KKK was persecuting them.

Yes this is why gun control is so strong in the south.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;173078]Fun control was originally started as a racist measure to prevent black people from having guns when the KKK was persecuting them.[/QUOTE]

Damn, I never knew that “Fun” Control was a Racist Measure.

As the Original Poster, I should not be surprised with how much this thread has gone off on the rails but I would really like to hear if anyone has anything to offer on the Puerto Rico situation and what changes some of you might see in the future. This is also, open to our Foreign Members as sometimes a different outlook is a good thing.

Now back to your Original Programing. :cool:

[QUOTE=Tugs;173086]Damn, I never knew that “Fun” Control was a Racist Measure.

As the Original Poster, I should not be surprised with how much this thread has gone off on the rails but I would really like to hear if anyone has anything to offer on the Puerto Rico situation and what changes some of you might see in the future. This is also, open to our Foreign Members as sometimes a different outlook is a good thing.

Now back to your Original Programing. :cool:[/QUOTE]

I would think many Americans regret the war against Spain in 1898. It made you a lot of trouble over the years. But have you learned?

Puerto Rico will probably be an expenditure for you in perpetuity.

I think we learned. We’re not planning war with Spain any more, and the countries we capture we never formally make them territories despite occupying them for years.

[QUOTE=lm1883;173101]Actually the Vikings landed in modern day Canada not the USA, but they did not discover America, the indigenous population did.[/QUOTE]

Canada is part of North America, then you got your South America and Central America. I figure the Vikings stopped exploring south of present Canada when it got too damn hot and the black flies drove them away. Perfectly understandable.

[QUOTE=tengineer1;173144]Canada is part of North America, then you got your South America and Central America. I figure the Vikings stopped exploring south of present Canada when it got too damn hot and the black flies drove them away. Perfectly understandable.[/QUOTE]

I believe they got as far as around today’s New York area, which they call “Vinland” (Wine country). Unless the French had been there first, I assume that refer to where grapes were growing. (They knew all about wine, they had conquered Normandy and Sicily, remember)

[QUOTE=lm1883;173101]Actually the Vikings landed in modern day Canada not the USA, but they did not discover America, the indigenous population did.[/QUOTE]

There were no Canada and no USA at the time, only that great land to the west were they could get timber for their settlement in Greenland and on Island.

Damn, you caught me out. Although I did not say they “discovered” America, I made the mistake to say that they were there first.
This has always been my argument when the question of who “discovered” America has come up, that there were people there before.
The vikings call them “skraeling”, which is not easily translatable. Here is an explanation for those who are interested: http://archaeology.about.com/od/skthroughsp/qt/skraelings.htm

Half this thread belongs in the Scuttlebutt forum by now. How 'bout that El Faro and the Jones Act? Any Puerto Ricans here to relate what the local coverage of the issue looks like?

[QUOTE=Kraken;173088]I would think many Americans regret the war against Spain in 1898. It made you a lot of trouble over the years. But have you learned?

Puerto Rico will probably be an expenditure for you in perpetuity.[/QUOTE]

Most Americans alive today have never head about the Spanish American War in 1898. Of those that have heard about that war, few know more about it than that it was started by the sinking of the Battleship Maine in Havana Harbor, and that Teddy Roosevelt led the charge of the Rough Riders up San Juan Hill on the way to victory. Not more than 1 percent of the US population would understand the point you are making.

Puerto Rico’s problems are a product of: American liberal white guilt, excessive welfare programs which discourage gainful employment and encourage laying about, and having more children than they can support. There is massive corruption that supports a large bureaucratic elite administering innumerable US do-good spending programs.

It would be fair to say that Puerto Rico is not much different than the ghettos in many American cities. You are right, we will be paying for both in perpetuity. However, the war in 1898 has little to with it.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;173167]It would be fair to say that Puerto Rico is not much different than the ghettos in many American cities. You are right, we will be paying for both in perpetuity. However, the war in 1898 has little to with it.[/QUOTE]

The War was a consequence of the Monroe Doctrine and gave US areas the country was not ready to handle. Puerto Rico is a colony, only problem is that USA does not know how to handle a colony. If you are not making money on a colony what’s the point of having it? I will say that the best action for US is to give Puerto Rico Independence.

[QUOTE=Kraken;173171]The War was a consequence of the Monroe Doctrine and gave US areas the country was not ready to handle. Puerto Rico is a colony, only problem is that USA does not know how to handle a colony. If you are not making money on a colony what’s the point of having it? I will say that the best action for US is to give Puerto Rico Independence.[/QUOTE]

Over the past 40 years, Puerto Rico has had several referendums to decide whether they should: seek statehood, become independent, or remain a territory. They have voted every time to remain a territory. They want to retain the option to seek independence someday in the future, but for now they want to remain American citizens, and continue to receive the benefits of American government programs.

Right now, Congress is considering whether to change the law so that Puerto Rico can file for bankruptcy and cram down its debt. I expect that will eventually happen.

Nice to see that it is possible to trade posts and opinions, even with foreigners, without resorting to insults and question the right of a foreigner to have and opinion about, or even know anything about America and things American. VERY CIVILIZED!!
I hope it can be kept up throughout the forum.

[QUOTE=ombugge;173192]VERY CIVILIZED!!
I hope it can be kept up throughout the forum.[/QUOTE]

NYAH! Says you and WHAT army? Singapore’s? Norway’s? BAH!

[QUOTE=c.captain;173193]NYAH! Says you and WHAT army? Singapore’s? Norway’s? BAH![/QUOTE]

The Army of the civilized world, that’s who.

[U]Please note:[/U] I did NOT include YOU there SIR. I know you are enjoying your notoriety as the big bad wolf on this forum and enjoy scaring the living dog shit out of everyone. You have done that for years, apparently.

Seriously, well written banter is NOT what I meant, but ill-informed negative comments belittling and insulting people, without the slightest knowledge of who or what they are.

That is, unfortunately, the stuff and apparent purpose of much of the internet forums, but professional Mariners should be able to hold themselves above that.