PTF Nasty /Tjeld Class

I served my National service in the Norwegian Navy in 1965-66 as Coxswain on the MTBs KNM Tjeld (P343) and later KNM Gribb (PT388)
The US Navy bought some of these type of boats for use in Vietnam, first for clandestine operation by CIA, before the official US entry into the war in 1964. Officially operated by the South Vietnamese Navy, but with Norwegian ex Naval Officers and US Marines as “advisers” on board.
Two of these boats were involved in the Gulf of Tonkin incident that was the “excuse” to get officially into the war in the first place.

Of the US boat 14 were built in Norway and 6 in US. All were either sunk, or stricken of the register by 1981, but there are apparently a few still in existance somewhere: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Nasty-class_patrol_boat

I saw some of them in Vietnam in 1967-68, but without the torpedo tubes, but with heavy machine guns mounted “all over the place”.
The ones that operated in the Mekong had sand bags to protect the superstructure.

I found a website by some American veterans and/or Naval enthusiasts who try to keep track of what became of these boats, mainly the US ones, but also a bit about the Norwegian boats: http://www.ptfnasty.com/

Are there anybody here on the forum that know anything about the status of the PTFs, or has any background stories about these boats??

2 Likes

ccaptain may pop in, this kind of thing is right up his alley.

[QUOTE=catherder;184836]ccaptain may pop in, this kind of thing is right up his alley.[/QUOTE]

I don’t know what I can add…that website pretty much gives all the pertinent details on the few surviving boats out there however it is woefully out of date

[QUOTE=c.captain;184842]I don’t know what I can add…that website pretty much gives all the pertinent details on the few surviving boats out there however it is woefully out of date[/QUOTE]

Are there none of these boats up for sale anywhere? A shame, but pretty much inevitable for such a small and unique fleet, I guess.

I remember seeing one for sale in Boats and Harbors yellow magazine about 20 years ago. The unlimited resources dream would be to have a fully restored PT boat nestled alongside the big expensive yachts at a fancy yacht club docks.

[QUOTE=salt’n steel;184845]I remember seeing one for sale in Boats and Harbors yellow magazine about 20 years ago. The unlimited resources dream would be to have a fully restored PT boat nestled alongside the big expensive yachts at a fancy yacht club docks.[/QUOTE]

I too remember that fleet of NASTY PTF’s in the yellow paper around the year 2000 and my dream was that there might be a remake of the movie PT109 using those vessels as replica ELCO boats. Wouldn’t be too hard to make one look like is was WWII. Looks like all but one were demolished and I am seriously wondering if the last one PTF-19 was ever actually restored?

the boat I wish to know if it has survived is this one here?

back in the day I caught many a fine tarpon off her fantail

1 Like

so there is one survivor, the PTF 17 at Battleship Cove in Fall River, MA

and an excellent website about that boat as well as all the other PTF’s here

and yet another PTF being restored found here

1 Like

Unsure of their origins, but there were several PT type boats laid up at Atlantic Yacht Basin in Chesapeake, VA, quite a few years ago. Like early to mid 2000’s time frame. Hull types similar to the boats yall have posted, or at least they appeared to be when viewed from I-64…

NOLA’s WWII museum is restoring a wartime era boat-PT 325 and coming along very nicely.

They were Nasty class boats from what I remember. They had metal or glass hulls, not wooden. They wernt at AYB they were on the other side of the Great Bridge locks at some sort of construction yard. They are long gone now however.

The WWII museum in NOLA has a Higgins PT boat that they have or nearly have in running shape. They are going to run it on Lake Ponchatrain and hopefully you can get tickets for it. I love PT boats. Another WWII group has a operational Higgins boat up in Oregon and someone in NC has a restored Elco boat too I think.

[QUOTE=c.captain;184856]so there is one survivor, the PTF 17 at Battleship Cove in Fall River, MA

and an excellent website about that boat as well as all the other PTF’s here[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link.

Here is a list of all the Nasty boats built, in Norway and the US: http://military.wikia.com/wiki/Tjeld-class_patrol_boat
The name of the Norwegian ones have even been translated to English.

It appears that the majority (11) of the Norwegian boats were sold to Stapletask Ltd, Sittingbourne, Kent, England, but that company doesn’t exists anymore.
Some of the boats have apparently been sold on for civilian use, but how many still exist is not clear.

From the Norwegian Naval Museum website it appears that three still exists in Norway: http://forsvaretsmuseer.no/Marinemuseet/Marinens-fartoeyer/Marinens-fartoeyer-1814-2014/Motortorpedobaater/Nasty-og-TJELD-klassen

This does not include the first one of the class, KNM Tjeld, were I served a long and cold winter in 1965/66 on patrols in the north of Norway. Open bridge and 36 kts. service speed (40+ kts. on exercise) made for an interesting experience. As Coxswain I did the steering.
Here she is in “Bravo” formation (30 yards apart) with the three other boats in 22nd MTB Squadron: (One hidden)

In “Close Bravo formation” we would be fender to fender at full speed.

When KNM Tjeld was taken out of service for drying and upgrading of the Officers and Petty Officers “ward rooms”, we were given KNM Gribb as our new toy:

That one MAY be preserved (??)

Interesting time, but I did not see the Navy as my future.

those were the same ones that were in Boats and Harbors. They were owned by a surplus monger (like yours truly) called General Propulsion who clung to those for many years until he died and as soon as he passed away, it was not long before all of the boats save one were crushed and landfilled.

The WWII museum in NOLA has a Higgins PT boat that they have or nearly have in running shape. They are going to run it on Lake Ponchatrain and hopefully you can get tickets for it. I love PT boats. Another WWII group has a operational Higgins boat up in Oregon and someone in NC has a restored Elco boat too I think.

there are also the guys up at Kingston on the Hudson River going by the name Fleet Obsolete. I know John wanted one of their boats in the worst way sometime back.

Yeh, you're right, I got the name wrong. Anyways, they were at that yard by the mouth of Deep Creek you can see from the High Rise. Definitely looked like these Nasty Class boats to me....

It appears C.Captain confirms we were right about those boats. Cool. Shame they got scrapped.

In January 1964 the entire covert program was transferred to the Pentagon and called Operational Plan 34A. The military would continue the missions using the new Nasty patrol boats - the command of SOG, the Studies Observation Group. Ranging up and down the North Vietnamese coast the Nastys were only moderately successful, but in 1964 they helped trigger a wider American role in the war with their role in the Gulf incident.

The Nasty history of the Nasty boats: Stalking
Here they call the Norwegians that commanded the boat by their real title; Mercenaries.

Intelligence indicated that the missions had been compromised. When a lurking Swatow attacked PTF-6, wounding four South Vietnamese, no one was surprised. A landing was out of the question; but, with the Norwegian mercenaries steeling the boat crews’ resolve, they pressed home the attack with offshore bombardment by 40-mm., 20-mm., and 57-mm. recoilless-rifle fire. Having destroyed a number of buildings and at least one gun emplacement. the Nastys turned south, unaware of the pursuing Swatow T-142, whose captain would later report that he could not catch up with the Nastys.

[QUOTE=ombugge;184868]The Nasty history of the Nasty boats: http://www.ptfnasty.com/ptfStalking.html
Here they call the Norwegians that commanded the boat by their real title; Mercenaries.[/QUOTE]

Great link thanks ombugge

Strange timing. I happen to be in Hampton Roads for work currently and drove by that boat yard on the Elizabeth River today. Confirm there is 1 Nasty class PT boat hauled out. C.captain, Im sure she could be had for a song. Theyd probably pay you to take it away!

Post some pictures

I will see what I can do to try to get some pics this week.

You must mean Chesapeake Yacht Center. Is it parallel to the High Rise bridge?

The PTFs I was talking about use to be pretty much across from the Great Bridge locks, there was 6-8 of them.

For one to be at Ches Yachts isn’t a surprise either.