Problems with gCaptain Phone App

The gCaptain phone App does not work and has not worked for 2 months, at least on Samsung Galaxy. I am not the only one with this issue. Upon opening App, I Get error code " the remote server sent an unknown response. This could be a result of the forum software plugin being outdated or having a conflict". I have uninstalled and reinstalled app and still no success. Are any other brands of phones having issues? Please fix this issue gCaptain. Thank You!

Same here – it’s been nearly a month for me. Galaxy S4, Androd 4.2.2; worked fine before (server tinkering, I assume), not at all now. Uninstalled and reinstalled app. No joy. Messaged John, no response yet.

No working on Casio Commando 4G either, hasn’t for a while.

I feel you. My TI-83+ is also having problems loading the forum.

[QUOTE=BowchickaBowditch;130368]I feel you. My TI-83+ is also having problems loading the forum.[/QUOTE]

Let us know how that works out for you…

Bump…

Has it been removed from the iOS App Store completely? Recently restored my iPad and went to download it again and it’s nowhere to be found.

I tried to download the app 1.5 weeks ago and it was not listed in the App Store. I have android and apple products. This is very frustrating. What gives??

Previously my app worked somewhat ok, it’d crash pretty frequently and lock down for hours at a time, but it was still more convenient on a mobile device than the website. I’d guess though that if it was having such problems, especially as described above, that either Apple and Google pulled it themselves for being consistently broken, or the developer did. I’d expect some sort of announcement from the gCaptain admin though if it was the latter. Other threads seem to indicate that the developers are “working on it”.

Honestly they should just put the forum on Tapatalk and ditch their buggy homegrown app. The other features on the gCaptain app are nice (the industry news blog is pretty decent), but that’s only the case when it actually works and is supported.

My iphone app was horrible. Worst of all my apps. It would crash and had to be deleted then reinstalled. Like said it was easier when at work to use than bringing my laptop. However in the last 2 months my app has been flawless. I just loaded it on my iPad a couple weeks ago and I too has been good. Whatever bug was fixed I can’t complain anymore

[QUOTE=wafinator;132455]
I’d guess though that if it was having such problems, especially as described above, that either Apple and Google pulled it themselves for being consistently broken, or the developer did.[/QUOTE]

How about we stop making assumptions?

We realize that a lot of people are frustrated but the problem isn’t our lack of concern… the problem is that the developer was too good and was bought out by vbulletin. Which “should” be a good thing except vbulletin’s support is terrible and we (gCaptain Admin’s) have no access to the code.

We have nothing to do with the apple or google approval process and are as frustrated (probably more) than you. This is a vbulletin problem that’s not site specific…

[QUOTE=wafinator;132455]
Honestly they should just put the forum on Tapatalk and ditch their buggy homegrown app. [/QUOTE]

As mentioned the app isn’t homegrown (it’s the official vbulletin app), and we have had very few complaints about the iPhone version.

Yes, the android version is currently broken and I am looking into tapatalk but it’s buggy as hell which gives us only two, admittedly poor, choices (1) continue to work with vbulletin to fix the problem (2) switch to a platform where we know we’ll have problems.

John,
can you put the link up for the Apple app? Mine froze, Thanks,

[QUOTE=mainecheng;132660]John,
can you put the link up for the Apple app? Mine froze, Thanks,[/QUOTE]

Danm, it was pulled from the Apple store.

If you already have the iPhone version on your phone it should work without problem… but that doesn’t help you chief.

I do apologize guys. This issue is my primary concern right now and I’ve cleared my schedule this week to work on solutions.

Just want to be clear, I’m not complaining. i find the Phone app very useful for those long meetings when my interaction is not needed and I need something to occupy my mind. really like it.

If they tried to fix the app as fast as they shut down some of these threads, we would have been in business months ago!

Why is the emergency towing thread locked?

[QUOTE=coldduck;133334]Why is the emergency towing thread locked?[/QUOTE]

I was wondering too. I was actually learning a few things there.

I guess because kennebec captain and topsail were bickering like little girls. It was becoming one of the better threads until they high jacked it.

The E towing thread is back up

Any updates?