Predictions for turn around time on MMD AB -with FUBAR potential

I’ll have to double check when I’m back in the office on Friday, but I am pretty sure we will accept the Navy helmsman PQS to meet the assessments for RFPNW, The Navy let the approval lapse so you won’t see it listed as a current approval, but it will still be good for the period it was approved. I need to get into our expired approval database to confirm so I’ll have to follow up.<br><br>James D. Cavo<br>Chief, Mariner Training & Assessment Division<br>USCG National Maritime Center<br>James.D.Cavo@uscg.mil

El Capitan, you have a good memory…Yep I’m an independent trucker…lol…<br><br>As usual these terms are a bit foreign to me so I probably sounded like a putz…sorry<br><br> I was a Navy QM2 from 83-86’ this gave me 540 days of sea time that the CoastGuard accepted (60)% of the origanal amount. This was done on a vessel of 8700 Tons…During that time I was signed off for Helm,lee helm after steering,unrep helmsman and othe special evolutions…but this was early 1986 …<br><br> Then I sailed on several sailboats under 25 tons… to gain another 180 days on oceans…This was a total of 720 days that allowed me to get the 50 Ton ticket…<br><br> Since then I have done another 400 days,on small vessels …So I have no recent time on anything over 100 tons…but I do have a little over a1100 total days on Oceans/or near coastal…<br><br> From what the CFR’s say, for AB unlimited it’s 1080 days on deck …<br><br> AB limited is 540 on vessels over 100 ton…<br><br> The unlimited rating doesn’t state a tonnage requirement…So that is what I have been instructed to apply for…<br><br> The STCW certificate that I mentioned was the BST …I admit this whole STCW thing has caused me much confusion from all of the different answers that I have gotten…But to be clear all I have is a basic safety/firefighting/personel resposibilities…ect…from a maritime school…I complete the lifeboatman/PSC tomarrow…I have already completed the AB course through a school too…<br><br> This is everything that I will be submitting to the REC on Friday…<br><br><br>The end result would be to get some really good deck time…An AB unlimited should know what the heck he is doing on deck…Right…?? Well, I haven’t had the benifit of some of that experience and before I can move up I really need this deck time…I would like to work up to a 100 ton master license and hopefully with a good company that would work with me to move up, at a pace that I feel is appropriate…At this point in time a 200 ton master with towing would be a nice goal to shoot for…in the next few years…<br><br> Thanks for the help on this stuff guys…I really appreciate it…

I remember getting into a pretty good discussion with Mr. Mattie at Seattle REC about the lack of tonnage language in the CFR for AB Unlimited. That’s the day I learned what the MSM is. When you think you’ve got them nailed on a CFR, they’ll pull out the Marine Safety Manual and wave it in your face. The CFRs don’t speficy tonnage for AB Unl, but the MSM does. Or did, or something. But regardless, they won’t give you AB Unlimited unless your time is on over 100 GT vessels. Which it seems a lot of Shellback’s time is. But a lot of it isn’t. Recency of time for applying isn’t an issue, it doesn’t expire. You’ll need sea service recency in order to get an issuance, 90 eight hour days in the last 3 years is what you need.

The relevant part of the Marine Safety Manual (Volume III) is at<br><meta http-equiv=“Content-Type” content="text/html; charset=utf-8]<meta name=“ProgId” content="Word.Document]<meta name=“Generator” content="Microsoft Word 11]<meta name=“Originator” content="Microsoft Word 11]<link rel=“File-List” href=“file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CJDC%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml]<!–[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<w:WordDocument>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:PunctuationKerning/>
<w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/>
<w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>
<w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent>
<w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>
<w:Compatibility>
<w:BreakWrappedTables/>
<w:SnapToGridInCell/>
<w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
<w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
<w:DontGrowAutofit/>
</w:Compatibility>
<w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
</w:WordDocument>
</xml><![endif]–><!–[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<w:LatentStyles DefLockedState=“false” LatentStyleCount=“156]
</w:LatentStyles>
</xml><![endif]–><style>
<!–
/* Style Definitions /
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
{mso-style-parent:"";
margin:0in;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:“Times New Roman”;
mso-fareast-font-family:“Times New Roman”;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
{color:blue;
text-decoration:underline;
text-underline:single;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
{color:purple;
text-decoration:underline;
text-underline:single;}
@page Section1
{size:8.5in 11.0in;
margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;
mso-header-margin:.5in;
mso-footer-margin:.5in;
mso-paper-source:0;}
div.Section1
{page:Section1;}
–>
</style><!–[if gte mso 10]>
<style>
/
Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:“Table Normal”;
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:””;
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:“Times New Roman”;
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}
</style>
<![endif]–><!–[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=“edit” spidmax=“1026”/>
</xml><![endif]–><!–[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit]
<o:idmap v:ext=“edit” data=“1”/>
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]–>

<p class="MsoNormal]http://www.uscg.mil/directives/cim/16000-16999/CIM_16000_8B.pdf

After reading through the entire set of posts (wow, some of you guys really need to take a deep breath, look around, pick up a quarter and buy yourself some perspective), I only want to add one thing.<br>Capt_Anonymous and Mr. Cavo have just pulled the velvet curtain back from the great and powerful Oz. The Marine Safety Manual, Volume III should be on EVERY mariners reading list. <br>Let me explain:<br>Every mariner should be familiar with the document (i.e. MSM, Vol III) that is used by NMC as guidance for interpretation of the relevant international conventions (i.e. STCW) and US regulations (i.e. 46 CFR 10).<br>By the way, if anything that I’ve written in the last two paragraphs causes a question mark to appear in the bubble over your head, you have a long way to go, my friend.<br>As I overhead Capt_Anonymous say, “An informed mariner is a successful mariner”.

I’ve gotta be more careful. The bulkheads, apparently, have ears.

<P> Wow …It looks like I’ll be doing more business with Barnes and Noble or Amazon next week…<br><br> .MSM…huh…<br><br><br> Just when you think you have something figured out too…lol…<br><br> Guys once again ,I really appreciate your time to comment on these things…<br></P>

You don’t have to buy it, you can download it.<br><br>http://www.uscg.mil/directives/cim/16000-16999/CIM_16000_8B.pdf<br><br>

Is there somewhere you can buy it though? I hate trying to find something or read a book like that in Adobe…I’d rather spend the money and have the book in my hand.

I found the CFR 's through several sources but haven’t looked for the MSM yet…,I , like you would like to have acess to both…<br><br> About the time I really need it, my laptop would have a malfunction…Murphy’s law…

Try the Government Printing Office.