Pid tester for marine chemist - Information Needed

I have been told to order a PID tester as per the recommendation of a Marine Chemist.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what a PID tester is or looks like?

Photo ionization detector

http://www.raeco.com/products/gasmonitoring/photovac_2020ProPlus.html

Am curious why he didn’t suggest an explosimeter? Are you carrying wierd stuff?

From Wikipedia:

Photoionization detectors measure volatile organic compounds and other gases in concentrations from sub parts per billion to 10 000 parts per million (ppm). The photoionizaton detector is the most efficient and inexpensive type of gas detector. They are capable of giving instantaneous readings and monitoring continuously. They are widely used in military, industrial, and confined working facilities for safety.

[QUOTE=Steamer;25514]
Am curious why he didn’t suggest an explosimeter? Are you carrying wierd stuff?[/QUOTE]

I wasn’t given any context, just told to order one. I work on an exploratory drillship, so we don’t really carry any cargo, but we do have plenty of “wierd stuff” coming up from the hole we are drilling.

1 Like

Which one?

[QUOTE=Steamer;25525]Which one?[/QUOTE]

I’d rather not say seeing that John was fired from my company for just calling the DP about a major safety concern… one he turned out to be right about.

Let’s just say it’s a shiny big new one in the gulf of mexico.

I’m guessing you got the information you were seeking a LONG time ago, but I just ran across your posting and thought I’d answer. A PID is a photoionization detector and is a useful tool in the shipyard/marine industry for identifying approximate levels of airborne VOCs. I use one in our yard for determining when it is okay to re-enter spaces post-painting without respiratory protection.

And as far as brands go, Rae Systems is one of the most reliable out there.

Kevin Sayler, CIH