Pictures of Ships, Tugs, Off Shore Rigs, Barges, and those who work them

[QUOTE=catherder;90726]This is a pretty good full length documentary about shipbreaking in India.

Thanks but I, for one, will never watch it.

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;91090]Thanks but I, for one, will never watch it.[/QUOTE]
I agree, somethings are tough to watch. I understand that this has to be done but watching a proud ship being torn apart is a tough this to do.

[QUOTE=Tugs;91099]I agree, somethings are tough to watch. I understand that this has to be done but watching a proud ship being torn apart is a tough this to do.[/QUOTE]

Back in 02 when I killed the plant on the SS Prudhoe Bay I knew she was to be destroyed. Before I departed the ship to catch a plane to Missoula I went down to the Engine Room, put my hands on the throttles, said “So long Old Friend, it’s been some ride, I’m gonna miss you.” I was talking to all my ships. I never sailed again and let my License die on the vine. FWE
I’m not one for collecting trophies but my final License is proudly displayed in my home office for all to see (should anyone ever find themself in my office, of course).

[QUOTE=catherder;90726]This is a pretty good full length documentary about shipbreaking in India.

This was pretty interesting. Thanks for posting it.

Not having a good day. We had lost the port gearbox a few months before this was taken. Since we were still able to keep running on just the starboard engine, the wise and knowing office kept delaying the repair to the port with comments like “Oh, the parts aren’t in yet”. Well, just after midnight somewhere in the middle of the Gulf, the starboard gearbox decided that it had had enough. Funny thing is, when we got to port, it just so happened that all of the parts for both gearboxes were available. I mean, no one would lie to me, would they? I guess this could also be put up in the young and stupid thread. Oh, wait. I DID comment about the SEA SKIMMER already, didn’t I.

Under Tow by cmakin, on Flickr

[QUOTE=cmakin;91466]Not having a good day. We had lost the port gearbox a few months before this was taken. Since we were still able to keep running on just the starboard engine, the wise and knowing office kept delaying the repair to the port with comments like “Oh, the parts aren’t in yet”. Well, just after midnight somewhere in the middle of the Gulf, the starboard gearbox decided that it had had enough. Funny thing is, when we got to port, it just so happened that all of the parts for both gearboxes were available. I mean, no one would lie to me, would they? I guess this could also be put up in the young and stupid thread. Oh, wait. I DID comment about the SEA SKIMMER already, didn’t I.[/QUOTE]

Ouuu, THAT was an expensive office fuck-up. Do office types ever get canned?

I have an opinion. The Port Engineer, or whoever is in charge of parts, may have a monthly (or quarterly) expense account which they try to keep under budget. Perhaps the other gear box would red line some shore PE’s monthly expense. It was a calculated risk which turned into a bust. But why were both there when you arrived? Hummm ~

It was twenty three years ago today we were bringing Moran’s 3300hp “Cape May” from the shipyard in Norfolk up the Chesapeake Bay for the canal and eventually Philadelphia.
A friend of mine was southbound with a container barge on the tow wire of the “Ashley Hale”
we agreed to meet as close as possible and he would shoot a few frames of us coming past.
That’s me just barely visible in the open starboard side wheelhouse window. I had opened the window and with two hands pushed a sheet of ice 5 inches thick out so we could see daylight!
Dead northerly around 25 knots
air temperature in the high teens
it was some trip up the Bay and through the canal only to arrive at Pier 100 in Philadelphia at 2330 Christmas Eve where we were promptly tied up before midnight and laid off so the double day wasn’t paid for the holiday.

Merry Christmas to all hands here at gCaptain.

[QUOTE=capnfab;91626]It was twenty three years ago today we were bringing Moran’s 3300hp “Cape May” from the shipyard in Norfolk up the Chesapeake Bay for the canal and eventually Philadelphia.
A friend of mine was southbound with a container barge on the tow wire of the “Ashley Hale”
we agreed to meet as close as possible and he would shoot a few frames of us coming past.
That’s me just barely visible in the open starboard side wheelhouse window. I had opened the window and with two hands pushed a sheet of ice 5 inches thick out so we could see daylight!
Dead northerly around 25 knots
air temperature in the high teens
it was some trip up the Bay and through the canal only to arrive at Pier 100 in Philadelphia at 2330 Christmas Eve where we were promptly tied up before midnight and laid off so the double day wasn’t paid for the holiday.[/QUOTE]

Oh yes, I can clearly see your smiling face. Say, that’s some spray you were taking. Were you all a sheet of ice as you tied-up at Pier 100?

[QUOTE=capnfab;91626]Merry Christmas to all hands here at gCaptain.[/QUOTE]

And to you and yours, capnfab., thanks for posting the picture and the nice story. I like it.

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;91643]Oh yes, I can clearly see your smiling face. Say, that’s some spray you were taking. Were you all a sheet of ice as you tied-up at Pier 100?

And to you and yours, capnfab., thanks for posting the picture and the nice story. I like it.[/QUOTE]

I have some pics of our arrival in Baltimore and Philadelphia. I’ll locate and scan them soon.

Merry Christmas Griz.

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;91495]Ouuu, THAT was an expensive office fuck-up. Do office types ever get canned?[/QUOTE]

I was working for a ship management company on that one. It was their only US flag vessel for some time. There WERE no or few spare parts outside of what I had onboard. Worse still, the model of boxes we had were one (or dare I say, two) of a kind. No Port Engineers per se, but Vessel Superintendents. It was a Scottish company. Their US operation has been shut down for some time. They also used to manage the Kuwait ships that were Flagged to US for protection. . . .

[QUOTE=cmakin;91852]I was working for a ship management company on that one. It was their only US flag vessel for some time. There WERE no or few spare parts outside of what I had onboard. Worse still, the model of boxes we had were one (or dare I say, two) of a kind. No Port Engineers per se, but Vessel Superintendents. It was a Scottish company. Their US operation has been shut down for some time. They also used to manage the Kuwait ships that were Flagged to US for protection. . . .[/QUOTE]

Oh, THAT bunch ~
I believe you and I had a chat about those folks. I visited them when they had an office in Houston, was offered a Chief’s job on one of their tankers but there’s no way I would work for them. Man, they were something else. Oh my goodness !!!

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;91860]Oh, THAT bunch ~
I believe you and I had a chat about those folks. I visited them when they had an office in Houston, was offered a Chief’s job on one of their tankers but there’s no way I would work for them. Man, they were something else. Oh my goodness !!![/QUOTE]

I don’t know which Super you interviewed with, but my current boss/colleague ran their office in the early/mid 90s. I had been gone a few years by then. I will say this. They paid me well and gave me bonuses. At the time, I was making a lot more that I got at Crowley on an SIU contract and more than I would have in the oil patch. I don’t know that they fully understood how the US Licensing system worked, especially for tugs and ATBs (not that it is clear now), so I would get a lot of O&M “licensed” engineers sent down that would leave before their hitch was up. The did appreciate my, uh, creativity in keeping the old girl running as long as I could. When we needed help for turbo changes, full engine repacking, they at least hired qualifed EMD reps for the work. Could they be difficult to work for? You bet. I still run into many of the guys that worked in the office back then.

To bring this thread back toward the topic, here is a fisherman and a chemical tanker on the Houston Ship Channel a few years back.

DSC_0047 by cmakin, on Flickr

ChÃÂșc ACE mua may bÃ¥n d?t

From a snowy (changing over to sleet & rain) Baltimore, I am reminded of a shot I made more than 30 years ago down at the Foot of Broadway.

Curtis Bay tugs tying up as the “Grace McAllister” returns to the Recreation Pier during a heavy snowfall. Winter 79 /80.

[QUOTE=cmakin;91910]I don’t know which Super you interviewed with, but my current boss/colleague ran their office in the early/mid 90s[/QUOTE]

That’s the time frame. There are situations where you must listen to your gut feelings. There was something about this outfit and I couldn’t put my finger on it. Perhaps I made a mistake but I can deal with it. Could very well be I didn’t have my time completed with the MEBA. THAT certainly was something to take note of.

[QUOTE=cmakin;91910]To bring this thread back toward the topic, here is a fisherman and a chemical tanker on the Houston Ship Channel a few years back.[/QUOTE]

They eat fish out of THAT channel?

Yeah, when I hired on, I was on the beach and looking. It kind of goes back to that thread about being young and stupid. Hell, it worked out. I lived, and only have a couple of scars to show for my time. Oh, and stories of action and adventure. It ended up being pretty good for me to get some great contacts, though, once I came ashore. Just shows that one never knows. I will have to say that working for a ship management company really showed me how the international industry works. It was quite an education and also came in handy when I started working for ABS.

Some folks eat fish out of that channel, some don’t. I am among those who don’t.

Another shot of the CHEMBULK YOKOHAMA

DSC_0045 by cmakin, on Flickr

[QUOTE=cmakin;91991]Another shot of the CHEMBULK YOKOHAMA

What happened to the fishing man?
~ :slight_smile:

Since I haven’t seen much, if any Great Lakes photos.

St. Marys Challenger built in 1906, Still Steaming. Headed out of South Chicago on the Calumet River

Going stern first up the Calumet river, South Chicago headed for the KCBX Coal dock

Loading at the KCBX dock

Alpena departing South Chicago