Pictures of 70+ foot seas

Kraakenes Lighthouse in Western Norway frequently see >20 m. waves:

1 Like

Years ago there was a famous picture of a large motor yacht crossing a bar - it may have been the Columbia Bar? The picture showed this entire yacht out of the water its entire hull visible.

MILLER FREEMAN coming over a large wave to render assistance to a fishing vessel in the Bering sea sometime in the mid 1970s. This photo was taken from the stricken fishing vessel.

2 Likes

Dude, that is bad ass!!

1 Like

That sounds like the Mojo, a yacht that was crossing the Morro Bay bar outbound that a photographer shot at the exact moment it went airborne. It was either owned or chartered by actor George C. Scott who was on board at the time.

Look closely at the photo and you can see that one of the bridge windows has already been blown out and patched with plywood!

Maybe not 70 ft. but amazing pictures of a fishing boat riding out 30 ft. waves in the North Sea:

How did someone manage to take these amazing pictures under such conditions is my question.

Modern stabilized lenses no doubt had something to do with it. It’s remarkable what you can hand-hold these days.

It takes a stabilized mount to support a heavy professional motion picture camera. I got my marine coordinator chops working with Dave Grober, the guy who invented the Perfect Horizon.

http://www.perfect-horizon.com/

1 Like

that pic of the freeman looks like the one taken from the russkie boat in about '02-3, I was aboard at the time. yea, one of the most economical ships NOAA ever had but the cme didn’t get didly for his efforts. sure saw some ruff water.