OSV companies advertising on gcaptain?

Living quarters and household goods are light. Canned food is quite heavy. I could see heavy containers two high, with one more container of chips, nachos, and taco shells on top. But that’s just my best guess, no sort of cargo plan.

Doesn’t matter how heavy or light. Most OSV are not approved to carry containers. Cargo securing manual will state that very clearly. No one in the oil patch has ever read the cargo securing manual, let alone performed any of the calculations. Waiting for the next storm to wipe a few out… Not wishing, just waiting for the inevitable. Feel bad for those poor bastards. Wonder if they are running unlimited personnel if any of the boats are over 3000 ITC.

Nice to see someone stepping up and more mariners going back to work but can’t help wondering how much of a underhanded bayou type shit show this will turn out to be.

Cargo securing manual what dat is?

Jesus Christ here we go again everyone is stupid because they work on a mud boat.

Oh and at least half or more of the officers have an unlimited license and you can’t swing a nutria without hitting an academy grad.

8 Likes

Not everyone, just you.

:wink:

1 Like

checking my email this morning and laughed my ass off when i see the ambassador to norway’s post in my inbox…hahahahaha

So… You’re saying that you not only read it but that you follow it religiously? You do the calcs for every load out? All I have ever heard of is a chain draped over the top of the line. Doood, dat’s good enough! I would venture to guess that less than 1% of cargo is secured properly per the cargo securing manual. But, that’s probably good enough in the Lake of Mexico… Until it ain’t.

Aw mais yeah dood just tro dat chain over dat ting comme ça and rap it aroun dat yellow vent ting it gon be more gooder.

Yes I do my own calculations long hand when a heavy load out of mud is onboard. Im old school and I don’t have blind trust in the computer programs and spread sheets. That’s the deck department that handles all that and they have two different computer programs they use to cross check the numbers. I walk around outside and it’s all laid out nice and neat and lashed into the Peck and Hale gear. I stay in my hole and don’t get involved with all that.

3 Likes

Out in the wild, we don’t have accurate weights or do fancy calculations for barge stability, we use rules of thumb and experience. The lashing for Alaska is excellent.

I recall an instance 25 years ago when a barge hit a rock and was holed in BC. It partially flooded and rolled over. It was towed all the way back to Bellingham Bay upside down and the containers were still secured by their lashings.

1 Like

Monkey see, monkey do.

1 Like

No. There is a lot more to it than that.

Went to Harvey. They had at least 10 people in the lobby for interviews last Tuesday. There were 5 in the orientation the next day and more were supposed to be in later that week

I wonder if they were hired via applications or if they just showed up.

1 Like

To answer that. I applied online early last week. Was called on Sunday night and interviewed on Tuesday. On a boat Wednesday. One other guy applied online and was called. The rest I think were walking in that day. 2 were rehires.

1 Like

That’s good to hear. I hope everyone ends up with something long term.

Are they just hiring to crew up vessels for the Puerto Rico runs or are things starting to pick back up in the oil patch?

I put in an application with Sea Shepard and haven’t heard anything from them.:pirate:

6 Likes

They may be sending a construction vessel as a flotel. Aside from that I’m one of the supply boats running spot jobs. I read an article that’s from June I think that said they were installing vessels and had inked some “uncancelable” long term contracts. As for the rest of the companies down here who knows.

2 Likes