Only in Norway

Those of us who have shopped at the Galliano Walmart on the way to joining their ship in Fourchon know where the term Wal- Martian comes from.

[QUOTE=salt’n steel;190817]Those of us who have shopped at the Galliano Walmart on the way to joining their ship in Fourchon know where the term Wal- Martian comes from.[/QUOTE]

Hell…Walmart ain’t got the claim for all of the weird people. I sailed the West Coast and PNW for several years. There’s so much strange shit that nobody notices. In the WEST WIND Bar in Port Hueneme in the late '70s, in the course of 8 rum and cokes I witnessed a streaker, a flasher and rumble between 2 bull dyke motorcycle gangs. In 2002 in Anacortes while in the ship yard, we were having supper in one of the many fine bar and grills. There was a large group of diesel burners in this joint. The CM from New Orleans asked one of the less masculine to dance. She replied “I prefer women”. He replied “I didn’t ask you to f@%&, I asked you to dance”. They thought that was cute and danced until closing…Plenty to go around…

I have been to beautiful Bergen. Back in the 80s

Before we got off the ship we were given the lecture on how to behave. “Norwegians frown heavily on excessive drunkenness.”

Okay…go change $$ to krone…forget getting drunk when a pint of beer cost almost 10 bucks even back then.

But I digress. Several of us waiting to cross the street were accosted by an angry Norwegian gent who was- you guessed it- excessively drunk, and who proceeded to kick my friend right in her shins.

True story. We were participating in the NATO exercise Teamwork '88.

Does that count for only in Norway?

[QUOTE=salt’n steel;190817]Those of us who have shopped at the Galliano Walmart on the way to joining their ship in Fourchon know where the term Wal- Martian comes from.[/QUOTE]

That may be less of a reflection of Walmart and more of one of Galliano. . . .

[QUOTE=catherder;190822]I have been to beautiful Bergen. Back in the 80s

Before we got off the ship we were given the lecture on how to behave. “Norwegians frown heavily on excessive drunkenness.”

Okay…go change $$ to krone…forget getting drunk when a pint of beer cost almost 10 bucks even back then.

But I digress. Several of us waiting to cross the street were accosted by an angry Norwegian gent who was- you guessed it- excessively drunk, and who proceeded to kick my friend right in her shins.

True story. We were participating in the NATO exercise Teamwork '88.

Does that count for only in Norway?[/QUOTE]

The Norwegian drinking culture leave a lot to be desired. Getting rip roaring drunk on weekends is a “must” for some (NO, I did NOT say all) Have a beer on an ordinary day and SOME would think you are an alcoholic.
I can tell you, it take some time to get used to when you have lived abroad a while.

Fortunately it is improving, with more Norwegian travelling to countries with a more liberal view. (Commonly refereed to as “Syden”)

Is this weekend “bing drinking” an “Only in Norway” thing?? No, not at all. It is occurring in many countries, maybe even in North America?

I remember a Tee-shirt going around with the text;“Instant Obnoxious (Add nationality or nick) Just add Alcohol”

Back to Norwegian activity in the Canadian Arctic. Here is the latest on the salvage of Maud, which is due to be returned to Norway next summer: http://www.budstikka.no/maud-returns-home/roald-amundsen/tandberg-eiendom/maud-klar-for-vinter-over-vann/s/5-55-373207

For anybody interested in this adventure, here is a link to a website for the institution performing the salvage: http://www.maudreturnshome.no/
It is in English. Hopefully better than Google Translate.

[QUOTE=ombugge;190877]Back to Norwegian activity in the Canadian Arctic. Here is the latest on the salvage of Maud, which is due to be returned to Norway next summer: http://www.budstikka.no/maud-returns-home/roald-amundsen/tandberg-eiendom/maud-klar-for-vinter-over-vann/s/5-55-373207

For anybody interested in this adventure, here is a link to a website for the institution performing the salvage: http://www.maudreturnshome.no/
It is in English. Hopefully better than Google Translate.[/QUOTE]

Couldn’t the Royal Norwegian Navy or Coast Guard lend a helping hand here for a project of national interest?

[QUOTE=Lee Shore;190884]Couldn’t the Royal Norwegian Navy or Coast Guard lend a helping hand here for a project of national interest?[/QUOTE]

They probably could, if the Canadians would let them do so and money were budgeted for it on the Norwegian side.
It would probably take an Act of Parliament on both sides to get it done though.

Seriously, this is a private venture based on donations from interested parties. That is as t should be I think.

[QUOTE=ombugge;190885]They probably could, if the Canadians would let them do so and money were budgeted for it on the Norwegian side.
It would probably take an Act of Parliament on both sides to get it done though.

Seriously, this is a private venture based on donations from interested parties. That is as t should be I think.[/QUOTE]

Verah enlightened. Not at all imperial. Highest bidder gets the loot. Much more culturally significant out of context. If onLy the Canadians would cooperate and let us take the treasure more easily. Public good in private hands. As it should be. History belongs to those who can buy it, after-all. People who can’t afford groceries certainly can’t appreciate their own story, so we’ll pretend it’s only ours and throw money at it until it becomes ours. It’s vital that the people of Oslo have one more dusty wreck under an architecturally novel roof.

[QUOTE=Emrobu;190888]Verah enlightened. Not at all imperial. Highest bidder gets the loot. Much more culturally significant out of context. If onLy the Canadians would cooperate and let us take the treasure more easily. Public good in private hands. As it should be. History belongs to those who can buy it, after-all. People who can’t afford groceries certainly can’t appreciate their own story, so we’ll pretend it’s only ours and throw money at it until it becomes ours. It’s vital that the people of Oslo have one more dusty wreck under an architecturally novel roof.[/QUOTE]

What are you trying to convey?

I’m trying to convey my frustration at the Canadian government’s failure to protect our archeological and historic sites. It’s irksome to hear that they aught to be making this process easier, when actually they should have nipped the whole idea in the bud years ago.

[QUOTE=Emrobu;190888]Verah enlightened. Not at all imperial. Highest bidder gets the loot. Much more culturally significant out of context. If onLy the Canadians would cooperate and let us take the treasure more easily. Public good in private hands. As it should be. History belongs to those who can buy it, after-all. People who can’t afford groceries certainly can’t appreciate their own story, so we’ll pretend it’s only ours and throw money at it until it becomes ours. It’s vital that the people of Oslo have one more dusty wreck under an architecturally novel roof.[/QUOTE]

Me no understand??? Have you overdosed on the Presidential Debate. You are as incoherent as one of the participants.

[QUOTE=ombugge;190895]Me no understand??? Have you overdosed on the Presidential Debate. You are as incoherent as one of the participants.[/QUOTE]

Presidential? Debate? Are they doing that again? I thought I heard a southerly mumbling sound.

Never mind. See post 32 for a straight-shooting, sarcasm-free summation of what I was /trying/ to say.

[QUOTE=Emrobu;190894]I’m trying to convey my frustration at the Canadian government’s failure to protect our archeological and historic sites. It’s irksome to hear that they aught to be making this process easier, when actually they should have nipped the whole idea in the bud years ago.[/QUOTE]
How is it a historic site? The only value it has is it’s connection to Roald Amundsen. And Canada showed no interest in protecting the wreck.

Here’s and example of its value as a historic site:
http://www.royalaviationmuseum.com/2374/lost-the-macalpine-expedition/

Here’s a statement from underwater archeologist Dr. James Delgado
“…the wreck [of the Baymaud] at Cambridge Bay is an internationally significant cultural resource and archaeological site of particular interest to both Norway and Canada.”

Here’s an example of Canadian funded research and public interest in the site:

The team, led by underwater archaeologist James Delgado, Vancouver Maritime Museum, included Robert Delgado, Michael Paris, Jacques Marc and David Stone from the Underwater Archaeological Society of British Columbia. The project was funded by the territorial Department of Economic Development and Tourism. Drawings, photographs and underwater video footage of the wreck will form part of a new display at the Arctic Coast Visitor Centre in Cambridge Bay.

http://www.pwnhc.ca/cultural-places/archaeology-program/fieldwork-reports/1996-archaeological-reports/#tab-id-2

Amundsen, himself, is an important person in Canadian history. I won’t bore you with all the examples, but here’s one that you may find convincing.

Finally, here are some passages from the government of Canada stating why it’s important that they take responsibility of this kind of thing. It’d be something if they lived up to these standards which they set for themselves.

As heritage protection is an essential element in the affirmation of our Canadian identity, and as our archaeological heritage is a source of inspiration and knowledge, it is the policy of the Government of Canada to protect and manage archaeological resources.

The responsibility to preserve archaeological heritage must be shared by all: the Government, the provinces, the private sector and individuals.

The Government will adopt a comprehensive approach to ensure that all resources within the Government’s jurisdiction are protected and managed, that appropriate instruments are in place to achieve this objective, and that roles and responsibilities are clear.

The Government will enhance measures designed to encourage reduction of commercial trading and export of archaeological objects to keep these resources accessible to Canadians.

The Government will work to strengthen archaeological resource protection and management in the territories. Once they have in place legislation and a demonstrated capacity to protect and manage their resources, the Government may transfer responsibility to the territorial governments.

Looks like the Canadians have spent their time and money looking for the Franklin fleet. Now that they have located the Terror in Terror Bay.(To their surprise?) they are going to spend more money to protect this submerged wreck, which is obviously more famous than the Maud: http://gcaptain.com/canada-confirms-second-franklin-expedition-ship-found-hms-terror/

Will the Brits try to claim it, raise it and bring it home? Left to be seen I presume.

[QUOTE=ombugge;190936]Looks like the Canadians have spent their time and money looking for the Franklin fleet. Now that they have located the Terror in Terror Bay.(To their surprise?) they are going to spend more money to protect this submerged wreck, which is obviously more famous than the Maud: http://gcaptain.com/canada-confirms-second-franklin-expedition-ship-found-hms-terror/

Will the Brits try to claim it, raise it and bring it home? Left to be seen I presume.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure that won’t happen. Their museums are already stuffed to bursting with stolen artifacts. Tabarnak. Doesn’t Sweden or Denmark have something you’d like to loot? It’d be less trouble for you.

[QUOTE=Emrobu;190938]Pretty sure that won’t happen. Their museums are already stuffed to bursting with stolen artifacts. Tabarnak. Doesn’t Sweden or Denmark have something you’d like to loot? It’d be less trouble for you.[/QUOTE]

I’m not into looting, or are you equating me with all of Norway? If so, I’m not a good example, having spent most of my life outside Norway.

It appears to me that to salvage a wreck that nobody in Canada is interested in (except as fire wood in the early days) is far from looting.

On the other side, HMS “Terror” and “Erebus” is a major part of British history and less so of Canadian.
I don’t think that ownership of the wreck has changed from the Royal Navy to the Canadian or Nunavut Government.
If the wreck is salvaged, the Owner has the right to claim his property against paying due and fair salvage fee to the salvor. If it remains in place, it is still the property of the original Owner, unless sold or transferred to another entity.

In the case of Maud the group behind the salvage had bought the ownership to the wreck. How can you loot something that belongs to you??

anyway…

speaking of the Norwegians, it appears they are coming back to Seattle to take advantage of a whole new market opportunity…expedition cruising

[B]Hurtigruten Opens New U.S. Headquarters[/B]

By MarEx 2016-09-29

Hurtigruten opened its new U.S. headquarters in Seattle, Washington on September 29. The opening of the offices comes at a time when Hurtigruten is significantly growing its presence within the competitive adventure and expedition travel space in the U.S. market.

In addition to administrative offices, the new headquarters will also have a consumer travel center where the public can learn about Hurtigruten voyages to destinations including Norway, Antarctica, Svalbard, Greenland, Iceland, Canada, South America and Europe, book trips, attend events and learn more about exploration travel.

“Adventure and expedition travel are the fastest growing segments in the travel industry today and the U.S. is one of the largest source markets for this particular segment,” says Gordon Dirker, Managing Director of Hurtigruten North America.

“After we reentered the U.S. market in partnership with an external sales and marketing company nearly four years ago, we have grown our business to a level that justifies the opening of our very own U.S. headquarters in Seattle. Fully staffed by a team of expert sales and marketing professionals we continue to be aggressively focused on growing our sales in the largest of all explorer cruising markets. These are very exciting times for our company.”

Hurtigruten has 20 employees in the Seattle office and 10 others working throughout the rest of the U.S. In addition, the company works with about 60 percent of U.S. travel agencies including brands like Liberty Travel, Signature Travel, AAA clubs across the U.S. and most major consortia.

The line currently has expeditions that include Canada, specifically Newfoundland. “Our flagship operations/home offices will remain in Oslo, Norway, but we do hope to offer new itineraries with departures that will be more convenient for U.S. travelers,” says Dirker.

“This is a tremendous milestone for the company as we continue to expand our U.S. operations,” says Daniel Skjeldam, CEO of Hurtigruten. “The demand is growing within the expedition travel segment and the building of a world-class office and consumer-centric facility comes at a perfect time for our continued growth in the U.S.”

Earlier this year, Hurtigruten announced the construction of two new state-of-the-art vessels, which will be designed and customized specifically for adventure-rich expedition voyages in the Arctic and Antarctic regions, as well as along the Norwegian coastline. The new ships, being built in partnership with Rolls-Royce will be equipped with advanced environmentally-friendly technology to reduce emissions.

“Our new ships will reduce the fuel consumption by approximately 20 percent,” says Dirker. “For the first time, fully electric propulsion on a passenger ship will be possible. This technology, in combination with the construction of the hull and effective use of electricity on board, will reduce the fuel consumption and CO2 emissions by 20 percent. This amounts to more than 3,000 metric tons of CO2 per year.”

Hurtigruten’s expedition voyages sail to the most remote of destinations, including Antarctica, Greenland, Arctic Canada, and the Arctic’s Spitsbergen, as well as year-round along Norway’s coast. The company’s fleet of 14 intimate ships each carry 100 to 646 guests.

of course what I want to know is if this move includes any plans to develop a US flagged operation? if it does, is it to build new or to buy out one of the established companies? With Lindblad going public recently, they obviously see a financial opportunity here now to exploit.

Should have said “y’all.” Excuse my imprecise use of English.

It appears to me that to salvage a wreck that nobody in Canada is interested in (except as fire wood in the early days) is far from looting.

See post 36, report back if you still cling to the convenient belief that nobody in Canada is interested. You could argue that theArchaeological Heritage Policy Framework which was enacted in 1990 was a reaction to the plan to take the Baymaud out of Canada. *No one had ever tried to take an historic site before, perhaps.

On the other side, HMS “Terror” and “Erebus” is a major part of British history and less so of Canadian.

Less so? Do we have a history at all in your eyes?

I don’t think that ownership of the wreck has changed from the Royal Navy to the Canadian or Nunavut Government.*
If the wreck is salvaged, the Owner has the right to claim his property against paying due and fair salvage fee to the salvor. If it remains in place, it is still the property of the original Owner, unless sold or transferred to another entity.

What do salvage laws say about National Historic Sites? Those wrecks were designated in 1992, before they were even located. By the way, how many of the ships excavated during the Oslo Havn immersed tunnel project are Norwegian? Maybe Denmark should claim salvage rights on them, since Norway wasn’t even a country yet when those ships were sailing.*

In the case of Maud the group behind the salvage had bought the ownership to the wreck. How can you loot something that belongs to you??

You’re right. They bought it. Fair and square. Can I buy it back? I’ll buy it back at 10 times what was paid for it. That’s more than fair, isn’t it? Let’s see… $1 multiplied by 10, carry the one, by 6 kroner to the dollar… Oh let’s be generous. Will a 100 nok note do? I don’t like using coins. Buying a historic site for a dollar, and then taking to another country on another continent is nothing like looting, what was I thinking? For shame.