Offshore slash and burn tactics

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;164680]Well, I don’t know your situation but it might be wise to go back deep-sea or work on tugs. Or at least scout around for the better boat companies.

I only worked on a crew boat one time. Believe it or not I got fired for asking a question. Specifically I asked the captain “What the fuck is wrong with you?” Or it might have been the follow up question: “Do you have your head up your ass?”[/QUOTE]

That post caused a major spill. I just finished wiping coffee off my computer screen.

[QUOTE=cmakin;164767]and it increases the more that you write. . . . . sheesh.[/QUOTE]
Exponentially…

[QUOTE=cajaya;164759]I updated my blog if anyone wants to read it. It’s a little bit more organized now and I added some stories. Specifically the part about outsiders.[/QUOTE]

Emma…I’ll try to be gentle but venting your spleen in your blog as you have done and coming on here to keep pointing people back to it is being very counterproductive to your message and to your own credibility. I takes battleship armor and 16" pointy sticks to take on the Bayou Boys here which you frankly don’t have.

My kind advice to you is to lay down your keyboard and just cease pursuing your vendetta. I’ll take it from here…

Now to the rest of you Jeaukx Bawss Hogg lovers out there…EAT SHIT AND DIE! Jeaukx is a thug and his minions are all toadies! The GoM boat operators are as labor unfriendly as any business in the USofA!

If she’s not your daughter you should adopt her. She seems genetically predisposed to hate anything or anyone from the bayou. You should hire her as the chief for the Orca. It sounds like her engineering skills could only be eclipsed by your unmatched boat handling skills.

Please tell me exactly where it says I hate things from the bayou? I was just explaining how they lie to one another. Maybe that is just human nature and it would happen in any situation with any group of people that take each other’s word as solid truth and they know it. I don’t know because my experience down there was definitely unique. It doesn’t take much to compare oneself to some of the operators. When I recently took a course at MEBA, those engineers were a whole other league from me, but then again [I]some[/I] of the engineers from osv’s are in an [I]entirely[/I] different league as well.

[QUOTE=tengineer1;164769]That post caused a major spill. I just finished wiping coffee off my computer screen.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, true story. They told me if I had any questions don’t hesitate to ask.

I went to work on a tug a couple days later. The tug captain had a better program for my strong back/weak mind/smart ass.

When I told my wife I’d gotten fired I used the “tell the truth, nothing but the truth, but not the whole truth” method.

[QUOTE=cajaya;164779]Please tell me exactly where it says I hate things from the bayou? I was just explaining how they lie to one another. Maybe that is just human nature and it would happen in any situation with any group of people that take each other’s word as solid truth and they know it. I don’t know because my experience down there was definitely unique. It doesn’t take much to compare oneself to some of the operators. When I recently took a course at MEBA, those engineers were a whole other league from me, but then again [I]some[/I] of the engineers from osv’s are in an [I]entirely[/I] different league as well.[/QUOTE]

Your opinion of yourself is inversely proportional to your communication skill. . which is generally a good marker of intelligence. . .

That blog isn’t going to change anything, or portray your message and happenings until you learn to write. It starts off, thus causing me to read the whole thing in such a manner, like a pre-pubescent school girl crying over her boyfriend of a week. Just my two cents.

I get what you are trying to do with your blog Cajaya but I caution you, it’s one thing to rant here as long as you don’t name names and put out too much identifying info, but you could really get yourself jammed up with your blog. You could find yourself blacklisted. You don’t want to do that to yourself.

Also, this comment is interesting:

“If I were an office person, and there was a female on a vessel who was not a butch, and was getting “excellent” or “exceeds expectations” evaluations every time, I would definitely be looking at it with a raised eyebrow.”

I am not young, and no longer attractive to young fellows but still am ok looking woman and hardly a “butch.” Yet I get pretty damn good evaluations (try 5 out of 5 which is rare) and performance bonuses. It’s not because I’m giving anyone wet dreams. I just do my job to the best of my ability AND get along best I can with others. That does not include “flirting around with the captain” or any other such bull shit. In fact, I am known for my professionalism.

We women aren’t going to get anywhere in this business if keep looking at the world through a jaded lens. The chip on your shoulder is likely the size of Gibraltar and it probably shows in your dealings with others around you. Stop seeing everyone as the enemy- especially the other women in this business. I know it’s your blog and you are ranting- I’ve felt that way too, sometimes but I think you are looking for what you want to see- or expect to see- and not what’s really out there.

[QUOTE=catherder;164792]I get what you are trying to do with your blog Cajaya but I caution you, it’s one thing to rant here as long as you don’t name names and put out too much identifying info, but you could really get yourself jammed up with your blog. You could find yourself blacklisted. You don’t want to do that to yourself.

Also, this comment is interesting:

“If I were an office person, and there was a female on a vessel who was not a butch, and was getting “excellent” or “exceeds expectations” evaluations every time, I would definitely be looking at it with a raised eyebrow.”

I am not young, and no longer attractive to young fellows but still am ok looking woman and hardly a “butch.” Yet I get pretty damn good evaluations (try 5 out of 5 which is rare) and performance bonuses. It’s not because I’m giving anyone wet dreams. I just do my job to the best of my ability AND get along best I can with others. That does not include “flirting around with the captain” or any other such bull shit. In fact, I am known for my professionalism.

We women aren’t going to get anywhere in this business if keep looking at the world through a jaded lens. The chip on your shoulder is likely the size of Gibraltar and it probably shows in your dealings with others around you. Stop seeing everyone as the enemy- especially the other women in this business. I know it’s your blog and you are ranting- I’ve felt that way too, sometimes but I think you are looking for what you want to see- or expect to see- and not what’s really out there.[/QUOTE]

Well, you work at NOAA don’t you? Not a supply boat in the [B]GoM[/B], which is what the blog is about. Working conditions in the gulf, not working conditions at NOAA. I too have worked on research vessels and gotten excellent evaluations. I chose to leave because the pay sucked.

[QUOTE=Rain Wizard;164790]That blog isn’t going to change anything, or portray your message and happenings until you learn to write.[/QUOTE]

And who is going to teach me? You? Are you in the New York Times’ best seller’s list? It is a BLOG for christ’s sake.

[QUOTE=cmakin;164786]Your opinion of yourself is inversely proportional to your communication skill…[/QUOTE]

Speaking of grammar, ellipses is [U]three[/U] dots, not two.

Cmakin, I see how you have taken by my blog personally (evident by your comments regarding my intelligence and communication skills).
Why are you taking this so personally? What happened in the GoM can happen any where, but when people sharing a common language and culture with the people who feed them and care for them, do things that might sabotage operations, you have to wonder why.

Cajaya,
After reading this thread I think you are doing nothing but blowing shit out of your ass. Please note I used the correct PC verbiage as both genders have assholes and both produce shit. If I were not so PC, I would have told you to stop pissing out of your C$#nt on the GOM. But again, I am way too PC to say something like that.

[QUOTE=cajaya;164794]Well, you work at NOAA don’t you? Not a supply boat in the [B]GoM[/B], which is what the blog is about. Working conditions in the gulf, not working conditions at NOAA. I too have worked on research vessels and gotten excellent evaluations. I chose to leave because the pay sucked.[/QUOTE]

And? (I also work on unols vessels) Your point being what? Ships are ships, in the end. There are good people and not so good on all of them. You exercised the choice we all have when things aren’t to your liking; you left. Nothing wrong with that.

However, on your blog, you are putting a lot of inflammatory, burn bridges type stuff out there and signing your real name to it. It doesn’t matter where you work now or where you worked in the past. Anyone vetting you for a future position finds that stuff and will get the impression, rightly or wrongly, that you are a chronic complainer and a sexual harassment charge just waiting to happen.

You can’t change other people. You can’t change deeply entrenched good ole boy institutions. You can only change how you react to them. It seems to me that you let a lot of insignificant shit get under your skin.

I know you don’t want to hear it, but there it is.

[QUOTE=catherder;164802]And? (I also work on unols vessels) Your point being what? Ships are ships, in the end.]re are good people and not so good on all of them. You exercised the choice we all have when thi to your liking; you left. Nothhat.

However, on your blog, you are putting a lot of inflammatory, burn bridges type stuff out there and signing your real name to it. It doesn’t matter where you work now or where you worked in the past. Anyone vetting you for a future position finds that stuff and will get the impression, rightly or wrongly, that you are a chronic complainer and a sexual harassment charge just waiting to happen.

You can’t change other people. You can’t change deeply entrenched good ole boy institutions. You can only change how you react to them. It seems to me that you let a lot of insignificant shit get under your skin.

I am not from the bayou, but I would

I know you don’t want to hear it, but there it is.[/QUOTE]

sigh I wrote the blog because I am NOT filing a law suit you so very smart woman.
I would not write [I]anything[/I] about it if that was the route I was going. The blog is not only about sexism, it is about SO much more.

Government and research is [I]different[/I]. You make a lot of assumptions. I have done both. It is [I]completely[/I] different. I came to the gulf the second time for the money. I already knew it was a give and take about the environment vs. the money. I just didn’t realize how much so. I didn’t know that merit had [U]nothing[I][/I][/U] to do with your work. Which is something that I would have a hard time accepting no matter what gender or race I was. I am not from the bayou, but I would [I]never[/I] do something to sabotage the operations of the vessel. It seems other people that still work in that company would. And it seems quite of the people that would are from the bayou and/or have been with the company for a long time. Maybe that is why.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;164772]If she’s not your daughter you should adopt her. She seems genetically predisposed to hate anything or anyone from the bayou. You should hire her as the chief for the Orca. It sounds like her engineering skills could only be eclipsed by your unmatched boat handling skills.[/QUOTE]

you also can EAT SHIT and DIE Mister Squidward!

So you’re saying you would not hire her? Is it because she sounds…quarrelsome? Or because she’s a woman she’s not qualified? Or both? I thought you were more progressive than that.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;164810]So you’re saying you would not hire her? Is it because she sounds…quarrelsome? Or because she’s a woman she’s not qualified? Or both? I thought you were more progressive than that.[/QUOTE]

//youtu.be/T8_qb9Y-exA

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;164810]So you’re saying you would not hire her? Is it because she sounds…quarrelsome? Or because she’s a woman she’s not qualified? Or both? I thought you were more progressive than that.[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about? ALL you guys DO on this forum is fight with each other.
So companies would prefer to hire their good 'ol boy friends who are [I]not[/I] quarellesome but will sabotage the vessel over and over again and cause it to go off contract and loose $_____ of dollars?

[QUOTE=cajaya;164813]What are you talking about? ALL you guys DO on this forum is fight with each other.
So companies would prefer to hire their good 'ol boy friends who are not quarellesome but will sabotage the vessel over and over again and cause it to go off contract and loose $_____ of dollars?[/QUOTE]

Truth springs from argument amongst friends.
David Hume

You’re painting with a too wide brush. Are you talking about one boat company or the whole GOM? How many companies have you worked for? I’ve sailed with GOM mariners, from what I understand there is a very wide range of companies. I don’t believe the drill ships are run like a crew boat

I’d have to argue that the crewboats are a different beast all together too. As a captain on OSV’s I’d shuffle the kind of engineers you speak of back to the crewboats they “moved up” from when I could. I had no use for an engineer that couldn’t troubleshoot problems that arose offshore during an extended time away from the dock.