"obscure" .... 'Jones Act'

Please run for Congress. Finally, a voice of reason.

Concurre!!! Run for Congress and do something to improve the situation for American seafarers.
Complaining on forums don’t help much, unless you can get some good ideas out in the public domain…

Bayrunner, you apparently believe that American mariners can not compete with foreigners. It’s not true, and many Americans are happy to sail on well run foreign ships which do not fly flags of convenience. I hate to say it, but the unfortunate fact is that the American flag is a flag of inconvenience.

Capt_Phoenix, isit not obvious that the American Merchant Marine became nearly non-existentbecause of Washington’s persistent indulgence of this politically powerful fat,dumb and happy industry? It is clear to me that over dependence ongovernment support has made this decline inevitable.

Capt_Phoenix, isit not obvious that the American Merchant Marine became nearly non-existentbecause of Washington’s persistent indulgence of this politically powerful fat,dumb and happy industry? It is clear to me that over dependence ongovernment support has made this decline inevitable.

PR already gets more freight and vessel stops from non Jones act ships, so whats the problem?

1 Like

It is one of those inconvenient facts that get in the way of those who desire to pocket the cost differential between US flag and FoC ships.

I suggest that the money saved would never be seen by any Puerto Rican resident in the form of lower prices in the stores.

The difference in crew costs, because that really is the only difference, is transferred from the American economy to overseas bank accounts while American taxpayers are forced to pay the costs to support thousands of newly unemployed Americans.

Our own government is responsible for its total failure to educate the public on the issues surrounding the Jones Act. Our Maritime Administration and transportation industry has failed to speak out about the outright lies being broadcast about the Jones Act and Puerto Rico. Our politicians have been paid to ignore reality in exchange for campaign contributions. This latest disaster has not been wasted by that crowd and its figurehead, McCain.

1 Like

If FoC shipping were subjected to the same economic and technical standards as foreign air transportation companies wanting to obtain landing rights in the US our deep sea fleet would expand exponentially.

It’s only because the threat of FoC carriers is not felt directly by politicians or their families that the economic and operational standards the US applies to foreign air carriers does not apply. All the subject means to the likes of McCain and the farm lobby is campaign money.

Forbes does a good job of providing a Cliff’s Notes version of the oversight the US provides of foreign air carriers:

Damn right

In what universe is the USMM “politically powerful”?

Again, how is a nearly non existent industry FAT? You’re sounding like an anorexic.

Me too.

Deleted

Trolling are we?

Capt_Phoenix, upon reading the following you might conclude, as I did, that fat, dumb and happy is an appropriate description of the situation:

http://www.grassrootinstitute.org/2017/04/the-jones-act-in-perspective/

That anti-Jones Act article is mostly bullshit. It’s conclusions are total bullshit.

Did you consider who the authors are or who paid them to write it?

1 Like

Seriously? They go into great detail about how the USMM is the exact OPPOSITE of “fat” and they’re definitely not “dumb” or “happy”, though some companies may be ‘content’.

That article has been dissected in great detail on this site before. Like most articles on the topic it’s heavily biased and it’s conclusions are flawed.

Couldn’t find something from the Heritage foundation on this subject to get a truly “unbiased” viewpoint?

1 Like

I love how they always bring up the fact that there are so few “Ships” but always seem to forget about all of the Brown Water Vessels. So far, I’ve only read one article that even mentioned the amount of cargo that’s moved on the Coastal and Inland Waterways!

1 Like

Yeah, especially with OSV’s running cargo to PR and the USVI and all. Honestly don’t know why they don’t count them, unless they’re just trying to make the USMM look like it’s so insignificant that destroying the Jones Act wouldn’t matter anyway.