Now for something completrely different...an update on the r/v DAUNTLESS

Is your water pump centrifugal?

[QUOTE=Emrobu;191223]Is your water pump centrifugal?[/QUOTE]

no, the pump is some kind of vane type…not the type I am used to for pot water. I am used to diaphragm type reciprocating pumps but in this case it is that the motor is not spinning up rather than not picking up suction

[QUOTE=c.captain;191224]no, the pump is some kind of vane type…not the type I am used to for pot water. I am used to diaphragm type reciprocating pumps but in this case it is that the motor is not spinning up rather than not picking up suction[/QUOTE]

Electric motor? Does it make any sound at all?

[QUOTE=Emrobu;191234]Electric motor? Does it make any sound at all?[/QUOTE]

I haven’t got there yet but I don’t believe it even squeaks

With meter in hand, start at the isolation breaker/switch and see if you have power to the pressure switch. If you have power there, try jumpering the switch. If that doesn’t start the pump, go to the motor connections.

Is this an ac or a dc pump? Any nameplate data on it?

Vane pump? Are you sure it isn’t a flexible impeller type like a Jabsco? If it is get a new impeller after you get the pump running because if it has sat for few years it will fail pretty soon.

One of these days he will post some damned pics of what he is asking us to fix. I bet olebuggy’s drone ships will have HD cameras to diagnose broken pumps.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;191275]One of these days he will post some damned pics of what he is asking us to fix. I bet olebuggy’s drone ships will have HD cameras to diagnose broken pumps.[/QUOTE]

What a bloody busybody!..mind your own business SIR!

besides, who asked anyone to fix anything? All I did was to mention that I couldn’t get the pot water pump to start when I flipped the motor controller to run. That’s all. I have yet to try to check out the power supply from the circuit breaker to the controller to the pressure switch to the pump itself. I am quite certain that I will find out where the problem is as I have with numerous other circuits. I do know how to use a bloody volt/ohm meter for Christ’s sake!

same goes with the electronics on the bridge…I’ll find the problem and if I can’t then I will ask specific questions and if photos are helpful, I will provide but I’ll be damned if I am going to post a running photo essay of all my work aboard. I have far more important things to be doing than taking snaps of machinery everyone has already seen and worked with before (except for DeepSeaDiver who has never attained first hand working knowledge of anything on a ship in his entire life)

I am beginning to wonder if you are yourself an evil twin of DSD?

[QUOTE=c.captain;190251]been working aboard daily preparing for seatrials and except for a couple small items, the mains are ready to rock however now the generators are causing me fits. Here my not being engineer trained is showing.

the gensets will not run at a steady rpm…they are going from 1500 to 2000 no matter what I do with the governor controls. The Navee manual for the switchboard gives me no troubleshooting clues regarding this. Lest anyone has forgotten, the DAUNTLESS has Detroit Diesel 371 generators with Woodward hydraulic governors. The speed is set with a +/- knob on the switchboard but that doesn’t seem to work now.

Does a speed switch actually control rpm or just read the rpm and signal if the generator is too fast or too slow? I thought it was the latter? What in the switchboard other than that knob controls the rpm?

the batteries however are flipping excellent! 26.7vDC![/QUOTE]
thankyousomuchforthebrilliantintroduction!beenuseful!

FOR MORE CYBER SECURITY, PLEASE CHECK:
How to Recover Deleted Files from Iphone
How to Restore Ipad2
Iphone Recovery Photos without Password
How to Recover Data from iphone
SEE MORE AT: http://www.passwordmanagers.net/

Steamers quick analogy/dissertation on magnetic pickup for your gen speed issues should help you narrow that issue. I hope you get thru dealing with that bad wood soon enough, It’d take a lot of beer to get me onto it! BUT, I sure could be enthused about some of your electrical issues… uh, i’ll make sure I’m on a beer run while you parallel those gen sets!!! That DSD person::, evidently you know his situation but I think his perseverance is commendable despite the comments he gets!, it sure is entertaining. Let us know how those gensets mate up! parallel circuitry is pretty robust with pretty fool proof safeguards, just push the button at the right time, they’ll either hum together or pop out.