New Job

OK, I am now a Crowley employee… :slight_smile: and where do you think they decided to put me for my first trip? :confused:

Anyone? :confused:

The Gulf of M, I’ll be headed back to the bayou. :eek:

I never used these smiley faces before…

congratulations/ how did it come about ?

Not sure I know what you mean. I was looking for a job a couple of years ago and I applied several places and one of them was Crowley. I turned them down and took a different job working in the gulf. This employer recently cut my pay so I called Crowley, they offered me something that would work for me and I took it.

I posted this to update a previous thread that I made about the decreasing wages in the GoM and that I was looking for work. I have been off the boat for a week or so but I have heard that other companies in the Gulf had been dropping daily rates the past few days. I figured that if there is a coming downturn in the GoM I did not want to compete for a position with more folks than I had to, so… I decided to make the move now.

I had turned down a half a dozen other positions the past two or three weeks before accepting the job at Crowley. If you are asking how the market is, there are jobs out there. You just have to know what you want and stick to it.

[quote=Cheng;10417]Not sure I know what you mean. I was looking for a job a couple of years ago and I applied several places and one of them was Crowley. I turned them down and took a different job working in the gulf. This employer recently cut my pay so I called Crowley, they offered me something that would work for me and I took it.

I posted this to update a previous thread that I made about the decreasing wages in the GoM and that I was looking for work. I have been off the boat for a week or so but I have heard that other companies in the Gulf had been dropping daily rates the past few days. I figured that if there is a coming downturn in the GoM I did not want to compete for a position with more folks than I had to, so… I decided to make the move now.

I had turned down a half a dozen other positions the past two or three weeks before accepting the job at Crowley. If you are asking how the market is, there are jobs out there. You just have to know what you want and stick to it.[/quote]

Okay, so the next question is of course…what kind of position? Deck hand, Eng, wheelhouse.?

To be honest, for wheelhouse, the pickings seem to be a little small, not saying there are not jobs, just very limited options. I think the wheelhouse situation will change fairly soon, but at the same time I do belive more people will want to get out of the GOM/oilfield if possible. So the east coast and west coast, along with non oilfield gulf job options will still be limited for a longer period of time.

Just my cloudy crystal ball predictions.
Take care everyone

Ocean

[quote=Cheng;10398]OK, I am now a Crowley employee… :slight_smile: and where do you think they decided to put me for my first trip? :confused:

Anyone? :confused:

The Gulf of M, I’ll be headed back to the bayou. :eek:

I never used these smiley faces before…[/quote]

Cheng,
Glad to hear you are once more “A productive citizen” instaed of just another “Drain on the System”:smiley:

It may not be exactly what you wanted but like you said, you can live with it. My friend retired from there with 20 years and he wasn’t even 40 yet!!! So now he’s wounting the days till he can retire and draw his pension.

Nice job Cheng…Congrats

[quote=cajuntugster;10537]Cheng,
Glad to hear you are once more “A productive citizen” instaed of just another “Drain on the System”:smiley:

It may not be exactly what you wanted but like you said, you can live with it. My friend retired from there with 20 years and he wasn’t even 40 yet!!! So now he’s wounting the days till he can retire and draw his pension.[/quote]

I have never been unemployed or accused of being productive.

Thanks, I think it will be just fine. The wage cut that I took looks like it will be coming back up, but, it is a little too late.

Thanks shellback.