NEO and beyond

Well I hear they are not even hiring when they have been visiting Academies this fall. It may be a while before they post openings. I cleared medical and security back in May and I’m still waiting for a NEO date for a 2nd Mate job. They tell me to check in once a month, but last month they said they’ve had the lowest attrition rate ever and would be reducing manning levels in 2017 due to several ships laying up. I’ll keep checking in once a month but until the oil patch picks back up I think everyone there is hanging onto their jobs.

[QUOTE=GLMASailor;193119]Well I hear they are not even hiring when they have been visiting Academies this fall. It may be a while before they post openings. I cleared medical and security back in May and I’m still waiting for a NEO date for a 2nd Mate job. They tell me to check in once a month, but last month they said they’ve had the lowest attrition rate ever and would be reducing manning levels in 2017 due to several ships laying up. I’ll keep checking in once a month but until the oil patch picks back up I think everyone there is hanging onto their jobs.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I applied back at the end of last February. It may be a while for the oil field to pick up to. Right now I am working for a tug company on the Illinois river. Think I’ll go get my steersman endorsement. Never hurts to have a back up plan.

You’ll be sitting in the pool for probably a week or two before getting called out.

Reading reviews for the Wyndham hotel for NEO. Haha! The general consensus is its a huge dump across the street from a housing project. Nice! Glad its only for a week, but I don’t think NJ will be much better. I am looking forward to the adventure though! Haha.

Jersey hotel is awesome! It’s the Sheraton in eatontown MSCs best hotel. The wyndham in San diego isnt bad either

Unless you get your own place you’ll be there for more than a week.

Its all right. I’ll just be happy when I get the call for NEO. I just get a laugh at all the reviews of the hotel. I’ve stayed at plenty of dumps in my life. I’m sure it won’t be the last.

How does the pool work as far as what I’m supposed to be doing while there. Is there something like a muster every morning during the week? I have family and friends in DE across the border from NJ and I would obviously rather be there.

Well…Wyndham (Methinks owned by a Chinese Company) is a dump. Actually much worst than a dump. Though the rooms are clean. You’ll see many CIVMARS hanging out getting drunk drinking beers and other hard beverages on the side/back stairwell during off hours.

This is why many pool on the west coast in San Diego.

New jersey is just for training. The pool is in virginia and san diego. The Norfolk pool is very strict about people leaving while the san diego pool is very relaxed. Even in san diego you have to sign in every morning and afternoon. You have 30 minutes to be back to the pool when your name is called

Consider yourself lucky. I remember one MSC New Jersey motel where you might be awakened before sunrise by a hooker pounding on your door looking for a last call before hitting Denny’s for breakfast.
Unless they were forcing you against your will to join them in their abhorent behavior, I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it.

1 Like

Thanks for that bit of info… the pool sounds like a form of purgatory. I’ve got online classes to keep me somewhat occupied, but what else is there to do aside from hanging out in the stairwell getting drunk?

The stairwell drinking parties happen at the motels, not the pool. Find a couple of like minded individuals preferably someone with a car so you have options, like going to see a movie in the evenings or going to a track and running on weekends instead of sitting around drinking beer. Some of us we would also chip in for groceries and have outdoor BBQs at motels that had outdoor grills. We’d have drinks with the food but we weren’t getting drunk in a stairwell. I’m a voracious reader so I always brought plenty of books. Bring a laptop and an ipod so you can keep yourself entertained.

1 Like

Sounds similar to hanging around a union hall in some shithole getto in some shithole city with a bunch of drunken union brothers while trying to ship off the board.

Reminds me of TPU in the Navy.

This is probably a stupid question, but is that 7-days a week?

just monday to friday. If you have to work any weekends its OT.

I am waiting myself. Just be sure to read up on buying your time back if you have any government services. I have infomation i hunted down that has me prepared. Just be ready.

I have a question about promotion. I am coming in as a wiper with the goal to go to deck engineering. I am a diesel tech and industrial background with aslo being a 14 year sailor. How long will i have to wait in order to put in for the position, i would like to go to the school for the lathe but i do that for a hobby metal and wood working. I just want to do that becuase i dont mind getting my hands dirty working on the fork lift or rebuilding something. If anyone can walk me through. That would be a big help.