NEO and beyond

I starting at MSC in a few weeks most of the stuff for NEO on here is outdated the hotel they are sending us to is the Wyndham in Norfolk and the Sheraton in Eatontown is the hotel in New Jersey. The question I do have are… How long should i expect to be in New Jersey as a third mate? How long of a wait is it in the Pool? Can we still choose to wait in the pool in SD? I’ve seen some of you posting how many MSC has at each position, How many thirds do they currently have versus supposed to have(this used to be 110)? Feel free to post this info for all the positions

What happened to CMA? Look at the bright side.

Dude what happened to CMA? Look on the bright side.

What about take a look at those port call details and see how frequent the MSC fleet is moving. This is USORF

[ATTACH]4439[/ATTACH]

What about take a look at those port call details and see how frequent the MSC fleet is moving. You most likely do not have much choice. What happened to CMA?

Guess they’re getting a better rate than the Double Tree (what was the hotel of choice when I went through). The training center in NJ isn’t really around much of a happening place…we were hold up in Freehold. Not many hotel options, but its a 45 min train ride to Philly or NYC. It could be worse. Be glad you got a job and are being put up with S&Q. You’ll be in NEO with a bunch of other brand new Academy 3rds and will have no trouble finding ways to get in trouble.

You’ll be in Norfolk for a week or so and the NJ another 6-8 weeks.Unless their is a huge urgency for Mates, you’ll have to go through it all. Getting paid to sit hungover through power points and shoot some guns isn’t as bad as it seems. Engineers might get plucked out early to go to a ship.

Once you get done with training, you’ll be sent to the East Coast pool. Unless things have changed since I left, all new mates are sent East Coast. If the West coast needs you, you maaaaay get called and sent to a West Coast (Pacific fleet) ship. Once you are on your new ship…you can put in for a West Coast transfer via your detailer. I didn’t have a problem getting a transfer…but be careful for what you wish for…pros and cons for both.

You’ll be sitting in the pool for probably a week or two before getting called out.

I know you are assigned to the east coast but from what i have heard you can wait in either pool. Personally i would prefer to be in San Diego than Norfolk if its going to be awhile like it seems it will. MSC has very little need for mates is what i inferred from my conversation when scheduling NEO.
DeepSEA CMA is in the shitters Technically its not even CMA anymore but CSUMA. I’ve been meaning to do a rant at some point after they finally send my diploma. I did my com cruise with msc so i know a lot of the BS and games you have to play. We had one mate it took 8 months for him to get a ship.

The Wyhndam in Norfolk is across the street from the hood so be vigilant.

1 Like

It is impossible to say how long the wait will be. MSC has too many third mates. My last ship was at 200%. Three of our third mates did not have a position on the Station Bill. The first mate had to make up duties/positions for them. MSC’s response was to send, unexpectedly, another third. Sooooo…we had four thirds standing watch…(two on the 12-4 watch) and two serving as cargo mates 4 and 5. Yes we had 5 cargo mates.

We had four second mates. One was the Navaigator. The other three were cargo mates 1 through 3. Oh…I forgot to mention we also had two first mates.

Ironically, we were consistently short 4 ABs and half of the required OSs during the entire deployment. Talk about top heavy. Mates and BMs almost outnumbered the Deck ABs. Go figure.

[QUOTE=Xavier6162;185366]It is impossible to say how long the wait will be. MSC has too many third mates. My last ship was at 200%. Three of our third mates did not have a position on the Station Bill. The first mate had to make up duties/positions for them. MSC’s response was to send, unexpectedly, another third. Sooooo…we had four thirds standing watch…(two on the 12-4 watch) and two serving as cargo mates 4 and 5. Yes we had 5 cargo mates.

We had four second mates. One was the Navaigator. The other three were cargo mates 1 through 3. Oh…I forgot to mention we also had two first mates.

Ironically, we were consistently short 4 ABs and half of the required OSs during the entire deployment. Talk about top heavy. Mates and BMs almost outnumbered the Deck ABs. Go figure.[/QUOTE]

At least you only had ONE MASTER, I hope??

The other side of the coin is when MSC is so desperate they send you out right away and relieve you late reducing the time you’d hoped or expected to have off. You request training but are told that there is no time to send you being short of experienced mates and, besides, all the extra third mates in the pool have been sent to training to give them something to do and so training budget is overdrawn so there’s no money to send you to training anyhow.

Quit whining like a spoiled brat and make the best of it. You’re taking home $1100 a week with free room and free training. Lots of folks here would be thrilled to have that.

My advice to you, kid: Learn to shut the fuck up.

From what I hear it is what you make of it bud. Many of my offshore classmates and coworkers jumped at the MSC jobs when the downturn hit and love it. Money’s not as good but they see the world and don’t have mortgages and a family to support.

If you get tired of bowling and drinking beer you could always start creating a few sea stories.

http://norfolk.backpage.com/adult/

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

A"bro"ham Lincoln

Thanks for all of your replies. BayRunner isnt everything in norfolk just across the street from the hood like in Vallejo. Come’on man keep the hard working backpage hoes out of this. Deck Ape im not complaining I has smart enough to know go with MSC on Comm cruise for the extra points after graduation. We still have several recent graduates who will turn into good mates without jobs because they thought they were to good for it.

Lots of tough love here

Just hope you don’t get on a rusty ass ship.

//youtu.be/5bubVJ4KVWk

Don’t know anything about MSC, or understand how the “hiring and firing” system works, but it looks like Crowley manage to keep the people working for them on MSC ships happy: http://www.crowley.com/News-and-Media/Press-Releases/Mariners-Benefit-from-Training-Promotions-as-Crowley-Focuses-on-Crew-Retention-on-Military-Sealift-Command-Ships

Or is this just PR from Crowley’s HR department??

[QUOTE=ombugge;185398]Don’t know anything about MSC, or understand how the “hiring and firing” system works, but it looks like Crowley manage to keep the people working for them on MSC ships happy: http://www.crowley.com/News-and-Media/Press-Releases/Mariners-Benefit-from-Training-Promotions-as-Crowley-Focuses-on-Crew-Retention-on-Military-Sealift-Command-Ships

Or is this just PR from Crowley’s HR department??[/QUOTE]

More like propaganda and Crowley is expert at it. They recently split their ship management between commercial and government and then promptly lost a bunch of contracts to Keystone, so…

What the original poster is requesting information on is working directly for MSC and from what I’ve read, the rest of the crowd seems to know a bunch about it. It’s basically what I’ve always heard about Military Sealift Command. It’s good steady work with more of a resemblance to working for the Navy vs. the Merchant Marine, and as long as you don’t desire to have some decent time off or a family it’s a good career. I personally wish the OP good luck on his new career, but second the one comment. Keep a good attitude, work hard, and you’ll be welcome anywhere.

The 3rd mated did some scaling in the video.

[QUOTE=CaliforniaOso;185403]The 3rd mated did some scaling in the video.[/QUOTE]

This appears to be a ship with a full PRC crew, although not a Chinese flag ship. They do things very differently from others.
Or is it common on other ships that the 3rd Mate spend his entire off-duty time during the day working on deck, although on LSA maintenance and inspection?

This appear as being a Capesize ore carrier on the Brasil - China run with long time at sea. It should give ample time to keep the safety gear in good shape without he 3rd mate spending every day working like that.

[QUOTE=DamnYankee;185401]More like propaganda and Crowley is expert at it. They recently split their ship management between commercial and government and then promptly lost a bunch of contracts to Keystone, so…

What the original poster is requesting information on is working directly for MSC and from what I’ve read, the rest of the crowd seems to know a bunch about it. It’s basically what I’ve always heard about Military Sealift Command. It’s good steady work with more of a resemblance to working for the Navy vs. the Merchant Marine, and as long as you don’t desire to have some decent time off or a family it’s a good career. I personally wish the OP good luck on his new career, but second the one comment. Keep a good attitude, work hard, and you’ll be welcome anywhere.[/QUOTE]
I was referring to the GO/GOs. I want to go to sea for a few years make a bunch of money with my biggest expense being what i spend at the bar. Then if the GOM ever heats up go there or into tugs. All of Crowley is through the unions but I don’t personally trust them. Nothing against the guys working there but I don’t trust the upper management (read McKay Brothers)