Need your help!

I’m working on a presentation and I need your guys’ help. Can you answer this question in your own words… Why do you like to contribute to gCaptain?

Thanks!

-Trends in Industry Labor

-Discussion of Marine incidents and how to prevent them.

Discussion of US Maritime Policy

Those are probably my top three and naturally the interesting banter keeps me entertained.

Opinions and information across a broader spectrum of mariners than we would have access to on a day to day basis.

some topics I find helpful are

job search advice
company profiles and issues
licensing advice
Vessel safety issues

Oh… and the funny as crap posts that spin wildly out of control.

-Juicy gossip

-Finding out my next pay raise

-C.Captain rants

But really, it keeps me up to date with maritime news. I like watching the trends in both my sector and others.

Not the Forum, but I do enjoy getting your daily updates via email everyday.

Now for the Forum, What make gCaptain special is that most of the posters are real Merchant Mariners. Some may have been sailing for years, some may be just starting out and then there are people like me that are retired but like keeping up to date.

There is much to be learned from reading each and everyday.

To let the world know I work for “The Company of Choice” and they should too…I also have an answer to and an opinion on everything…oh and there is nothing better than a train wreck thread it’s so indicative of sitting in the galley/mess area at any meal time

There is really no other place to find information on our industry or a gathering of fellow mariners than gCaptain. It is integral to our lives and obviously interesting to us.
What really brings me back is the moderators letting sailors be sailors. Some of the other forums I visit over-moderate to such a degree that interesting banter will get you banned for a couple of weeks. That makes for a boring forum.

gCaptain has something to offer the ethusiast, the SSE, the veteran, to the retired mariner

Plus it is a one stop shop we can catch up to whats happening, old friends and make new ones

the stick man…

it’s all about the great omnipotent stick!

I’m here for the chicks man

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;139917]To let the world know I work for “The Company of Choice” and they should too…[/QUOTE]

I always had this nagging suspicion you were an engineer for TransAtlantic Lines, thanks for confirming!

• Updated - - -

News Articles

The forum for employment trends, sharing / comparing work experiences, state of the industry, work / lack of work being done by MARAD, trying to give good advice to beginning mariners.

It’s the only forum I am aware of where a Greenhorn like myself can get straight, unvarnished advice from experienced mariners throughout the industry.

oh - and like Traitor Yankee - I’m here for the chicks too.

When I started out in the industry, there was nothing like this. I had to figure stuff out on my own and learned a lot of things the hard way. I also met a ton of liars who pretended to know it all and I took a lot of bad advice. If I can help others avoid some of the things I did or if I can set straight some of the misconceptions some people have, then I am all for being here and contributing.

Oh fer chrissake.

• Scuttlebutt
  • Industry info
  • Lessons learned/safety
  • Job leads. Yes, working for the gov’t sucks.
  • Soap-box bombast
  • the need to vent
  • a feeling that I am not the only one dealing with this $#^QO@!

And hey! Why won’t gCaptain save my password? Fix it!

PS? We love ya dude. Thanks for the forum. I would not be back out here at my age if I didn’t 1. meet other old farts already sailing, and 2. Learn how to do it here.

[QUOTE=Dsc;139976]When I started out in the industry, there was nothing like this. I had to figure stuff out on my own and learned a lot of things the hard way. I also met a ton of liars who pretended to know it all and I took a lot of bad advice. If I can help others avoid some of the things I did or if I can set straight some of the misconceptions some people have, then I am all for being here and contributing.[/QUOTE]

Yes, there are a lot of BS artistes in this business. One must be careful and triple-check info before acting. Even here on the forums, we have all passed on incorrect info (maybe save for a few including JD Cavo) so it’s always best to review the general info and then hit the regs. Learn to read the CFRs and the NVICs. Especially with all the changes afoot. It’s a humbling experience, lol!

LinkedIn has nothing on gCaptain as far as mariners are concerned.

*Great insight to licensing, jobs, company info

*Industry related news

*lurking HR personnel

*answers to my most of the time relevant questions

*stern discipline

*multiple smart asses

[QUOTE=roundabout;140043]LinkedIn has nothing on gCaptain as far as mariners are concerned.

*Great insight to licensing, jobs, company info

*Industry related news

*lurking HR personnel

*answers to my most of the time relevant questions

*stern discipline

*multiple smart asses[/QUOTE]

Somebody has to be the duty smart ass.