Need help finding a job

<span style="font-size: larger]
No, I haven’t done ARPA or GMDSS.
But I still plan to go to the Gulf. Hopefully, I can find a job on one of the many boats that do not have GMDSS or ARPA. I will also be inquiring with companies that have ARPA/GMDSS boats and are willing to help pay for the training. I know this isn’t the right market to expect the companies to bend over backwards for me, but I’m not able to shoulder the expense of these classes for a job that I may or may not get.
</span>

I’m sorry to hear that things have slowed down so much out there in the towing industry but I suppose it shouldn’t be a surprise with winter just around the corner and most Alaskan projects shut down until next year. I certainly was under the impression that both Sause Bros, K-Sea and Crowley were very actively looking for people to fill all positions (except master) but that was more than a couple of months ago.

Have you contacted that Kelly Sweeney to see what he might have? I know headhunters who charge the mariner suck but sometimes a person just has to swallow that one as hard as it is.

<span style="font-size: larger]Hey Guest,</span>
<font size="2]<span id=“1225162025431E” style="display: none] </span><span id=“1225162018591E” style="display: none] </span><span id=“1225162010284E” style="display: none] </span>Thanks for your comments. I’d somehow forgotten about Sause Bros. I just sent them my resume and will follow up with them soon. As for Kelly, I did some work through him about a month ago. It was three weeks of good work at a decent pay and a much needed injection of capital. Unfortunately, he hasn’t had any work for me recently. For anyone else who is reading, Sweeney is hell of a guy and he will do his best to find you work. He’s very hands on and he doesn’t just send you off to work and collect his pay check. He checked up on me several times a week just to see if I was doing OK.<span id=“1225162025560S” style="display: none] </span></font>

A good friend of mine was just pimped out by Kelly. I think he got a hell of a deal. His charge, to me is not that bad at all either. He is pleased with the vessel he is getting on. But, they have not left the port yet. If I ever get in the “can’t find a job on my own”, I will 100% give Kelly a call.

Thanks to all who have posted here. There is a wealth of quality information on finding work in the GOM. I’ve been following the forum for the past several months, and am staying at the Galliano Inn now, knocking on doors at boat companies.
The people around here have been very friendly and most helpful. The second place I stopped made a copy of the appropirate yellow pages, and highlighted the companies they thought would be worth contacting. I’ve been here since last Wednesday, working my way through the list, filling out applications, and leaving my resume. So far, I have actually gotten as far as talking to HR people at five differenct companies, but nothing has turned up. I have a couple of companies that have expressed an interest in me, and I may know more in the next few days. My disadvantage is a lack of experience in the GOM. I have a 100 Ton NC, 6th issue, and my work in the past 3+ decades has been marine related, primarily with yachts, a lot of it on land, with several deliveries each year. I’ve sailed trans-Atlantic, as well as to trans-Pacific as far as Tahiti.
A couple of things I’m happy to pass on:
<ol>
[li]There is not a lot of turn over right now on the boats as people are hanging on to their jobs. In addition, a lot of companies are hiring from within, as AB’s start working their way up the USCG license structure. Other captains I’ve talked to who are also applying for work around here are experiencing the same thing. Perhaps someone with a 500 T or larger ticket could do better. Even a 200 T ticket.
[/li] [li]Best to arrive on a Monday so you have the whole week. I arrived last Wednesday morning (after a night in NOL), but only had 2 1/2 days because a lot of the offices closed Friday afternoon. I lost Friday afternoon, as well as the weekend for making contact with companies.
[/li] [li]Showing up in person is the only way to go. I left voice mail with one HR person, and never heard from him. Stopped by that company the following day, had had a great conversation with the person, but he didn’t mention anything about my message. Another HR person had over 200 voice mails to deal with. I suspect email inboxes may be equally as full.
[/li] [li]Talked to one employment agency today, and they also acknowledged that things are very tight. Their cut (around here) is equal to two weeks’ pay.
[/li] [li]As others have said, it is all about being in the right place at the right time. There is some normal employee turn over, and some new builds coming, so there is some hiring taking place.
[/li]</ol>
At this point I’m expanding my search for deckhand positions, just to get my foot in the door. I did drive up to L E Fletcher CC last Sunday, but the campus was closed, so I didn’t get to talk to anyone, or peruse any job postings on bulletin boards.
And after spending seven days here, any suggestions would be appreciated!

Hey Water,
What companies have you been looking at? You might have better luck getting in the wheel house with some of the small crew boat operations. If you can find deck work on an OSV with a good company take it. You won’t be on deck for long if you work hard and can show them that you have boat handling skills–we’re talking months, not years. You’ll need to find a company that has 100 ton boats. Abdon Callais comes to mind. Also Aries Marine, Candy Fleet, Graham Gulf, Gulf Fleet , Odyssey Marine and Bordelon. Not all of these employers would be included in my top picks category but I assume you’ve already visited Chouest, Seacor, HOS, Rigdon etc. . . Also check out http://www.shipbuildinghistory.com/today/shippingdirectory/osvs.htm With a 100 ton ticket and the way things are in the Gulf you will probably need to take whatever job you can get to get your foot in the door and get some Gulf experience. Many AB’s are pulling down day rates in the high 200s. Not bad for a few hours of chipping and a lot of movie watching. Good Luck!

Hello Water:
Do you have an AB rate to ag along with that 100 ton?
What comments/recomendations are you getting from the HR people?
Bob

Seattlemariner - I’ve been looking at them all - from small companies with only two crew boats to the larger ones. One HR guy that I went back to see for a second time this afternoon, suggested applying as an unlicensed engineer. That apparently entails looking after the machinery while underway, doing oil changes, and troubleshooting when problems arise while away from the dock. I’ve been doing that for a long time already, and always like to know on board systems anyway. You are right about the deck positions - I’d be happy with anything at this point to get my foot in the door, and wait to move up as the opportunity arises. I can cook if necessary, and if I was on a larger boat, I’d be able to start building my time for working my way up the license structure.
And thanks for the link to the companies. It imported easily into Excel to do some sorting.
Incidentally, the public library is one block south of ECO, and is also a great resource, with internet access. I can use my laptop where I’m staying, but need to go to the office to get a hot spot. At the library you can print things out.
Bob - I just picked up my MMD, so I have an OS rating right now. I believe I could get my AB Special if I got the STCW out of the way, and those classes are offered weekly in Houma.
Mostly, the HR people are saying the same thing that has been said by others here - their needs change on a daily basis, and you just need to be in the right place at the right time.
Thanks for the comments, and the link to the operator list. It will give me a chance to regroup and start contacting more companies.
Does anyone know of any crew housing in the area? The inn is a great spot, but it is getting expensive staying in the area.

Water, try the Apple Inn, it’s cheap.

Stay out of the bar after 2200 and lock your door if you stay at The Apple Inn.

Bingo! Jobs can still be had in the GOM.
Went over to another area today and completed an application at a company. The HR person was not in, so I moved on to the next company. Was in the middle of filling out another application, and my cell phone went off. Picked up a second captain position with a good company when another captain became unavailable. Had my physical this afternoon, and report to work in the morning.
Thanks to all who post here - the list is too long and I’d miss someone. You know who you are. This forum is a great service to mariners and the industry.
THANK YOU!

congrats water!!

Way to go! Determination and persistance paid off. It won’t be fun at first (as you know), but it will get better. The main thing is: It paid off…and will continue to “pay off” bigger and better over the years.
Enjoy the bayou. They know how to pass a good time down there.
Nemo

Way to go! Yes, it can be done. If you get stuck working for a captain that doesn’t want to train you ask to go to another boat next time. Good luck.

Water! Fabulous news. Sail safe.

Water, great news! Fair winds, and all the best on your first hitch!

It seems like Water found the last job in the Gulf. I’m on my fourth of five days in the Gulf pounding doors–with no luck. You’d think a 500 ton ticket would be worth something but the only companies that I spoke with that are hiring are looking for 1600 ton tickets (Tidewater) or 1600 ITC(HOS). Also, Chouest is looking for crewboat captains with at least two years crewboat experience. Hope this helps someone.
One request: will the last mariner leaving the gulf please turn out the lights.

I hate to be the one to say I told you so but… I think if you had gotten ARPA and GMDSS you’d be having a different experience. Oh, and why didn’t you get 1600 Mate when you got your 500 Master? And did you add Master OSV 3000 ITC to your 500 Ton? You can do that too. I’m not trying to be a dick, I’d love to see nothing but success stories on the forums here but you’re going into the game shorthanded, without stuff you already probably qualify for and as you’re finding out, it is making it difficult for you.

On my last day in the Gulf I was offered a job at C&G but I decided to pass on it. The money is good but the hitches were too short (14/14) for someone that doesn’t live in the Gulf. Anyway, there is a job open for a 500 ton mate @ C&G.

Seattlemariner,
You obviously don’t need a job bad enough.
Good luck,
Nemo