MSC or SIU

[QUOTE=Knots;163268]What about [B]SUP[/B] shipping out AB’s out of the west coast? Dont they man the ships in Guam/Saipan?

If one has the certs from working at SIU can you get on right away or is it a wait for an A book kind of thing.[/QUOTE]

I’m interested to know the answer to this as well.

Siu is a joke msc is a Much better opportunity. The Norfolk, va Union hall is the worst. They are selling job out the back door there. And as a c card holder it will take you 6 months before you get out on a boat. Maryland is a better union hall but they do a lot of car transport ships Low pay but you can get your sea time in. If I was you I would do msc

Weren’t you just asking about whether you should try to get on tugs or with MSC??? Have you sat in the MSC pool to be able to say it’s better than SIU? (Also, this thread was dead for three years, so I would hope that the OP had made a choice since he posted by now…)

I’m a member of siu and haven’t gotten any work in for months. Guys at my union hall are traveling out of state to go and get work at other union halls. I have a lot of friends that work with msc for years. They all stay working they all get A pay check in there down time. Msc has better medical than what Siu offers. And from talking to them pay is high with msc then what siu wants to pay you for the same job

I saw a copy of the job board a few weeks ago and it was full of jobs. We had 2 guys who were 10 days over because nobody would take the job off the board. Why can’t you get any work?

I’m a C card holder and last year siu in Norfolk had a 120 C card holders and only 35 went out on boats. If you are a B or A book it’s easy for you guys to get work you have seniority. I have seen jobs hit the board and then come right off when I ask why Tony would say the job was posted to early you need to talk to George. A job that was 10 days out. On top of that A lot of the jobs that are on the board for C cards want you to have a security clearance which the union does not allow you to get until you have sailed for two years.