MSC Hiring Physical - AFIB and they're tougher than USCG Standards

I’m in a conundrum (timing wise) and really could use some input from anyone with knowledge of MSC Hire on Physicals.

Just got lucky and got a space in the 3 weeks of required MSC classes at Mitags that is required to work on Patriot Ships (MMP). As an applicant it’s been very tough to get work off the board. Being able to work on Patriots vessels would be so awesome (I hope…) for me right now but I don’t want to waste 3 weeks in a hotel room and class as well as taking the spot from someone else only to fail the entry physical.

I have recently been diagnosed with Paroxysmal AFIB and possibly Mild Sleep Apnea (second another sleep study scheduled soon).
Finishing up medical testing now and even though my med cert isn’t due until Sept. 14th I will submit to NMC asap.
I’m otherwise very fit for a 55 year old and the Cardiologist tells me I have less than a 1% chance of stroke (the best rating you can get when you have AFIB), will probably write me a good “fit for duty” letter. Based on my research including a talk with Holly Chetta, I should be fine with the USCG and get a waiver that would keep me at 2 years.

Problem is, I remember going through MSC Hire on Physical (as an AB) back in 2010. I recall a very thorough physical with much tougher standards. Calling MSC medical dept. to discuss was a waste of time as all I could get to were low level clerks that knew nothing. Through constant internet digging I came up with COMINST 6100 and read to get a waiver for an arrhythmia they want to see [U][B]one year of control on meds[/B][/U] and they didn’t make a big deal about the sleep apnea as long as I use a CPAP (which I’m hoping I won’t even need).

Summary, based on that instruction it seems like I might be okay in a year but that’s still uncertain. So at this point I plan to cancel the classes, wait a year and try again next year.
Before I cancel those classes based on “googling” just wanted to see if I could get any helpful and hopefully encouraging info that might enable to keep my February class dates. Also if you have any info to call MSC medical and actually talk to someone that knows what they’re talkin about.

Thanks!

[QUOTE=Bigshipguy;194353]I’m in a conundrum (timing wise) and really could use some input from anyone with knowledge of MSC Hire on Physicals.

Just got lucky and got a space in the 3 weeks of required MSC classes at Mitags that is required to work on Patriot Ships (MMP). As an applicant it’s been very tough to get work off the board. Being able to work on Patriots vessels would be so awesome (I hope…) for me right now but I don’t want to waste 3 weeks in a hotel room and class as well as taking the spot from someone else only to fail the entry physical.

I have recently been diagnosed with Paroxysmal AFIB and possibly Mild Sleep Apnea (second another sleep study scheduled soon).
Finishing up medical testing now and even though my med cert isn’t due until Sept. 14th I will submit to NMC asap.
I’m otherwise very fit for a 55 year old and the Cardiologist tells me I have less than a 1% chance of stroke (the best rating you can get when you have AFIB), will probably write me a good “fit for duty” letter. Based on my research including a talk with Holly Chetta, I should be fine with the USCG and get a waiver that would keep me at 2 years.

Problem is, I remember going through MSC Hire on Physical (as an AB) back in 2010. I recall a very thorough physical with much tougher standards. Calling MSC medical dept. to discuss was a waste of time as all I could get to were low level clerks that knew nothing. Through constant internet digging I came up with COMINST 6100 and read to get a waiver for an arrhythmia they want to see [U][B]one year of control on meds[/B][/U] and they didn’t make a big deal about the sleep apnea as long as I use a CPAP (which I’m hoping I won’t even need).

Summary, based on that instruction it seems like I might be okay in a year but that’s still uncertain. So at this point I plan to cancel the classes, wait a year and try again next year.
Before I cancel those classes based on “googling” just wanted to see if I could get any helpful and hopefully encouraging info that might enable to keep my February class dates. Also if you have any info to call MSC medical and actually talk to someone that knows what they’re talkin about.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

If your condition is one that would show up in a normal physical exam, or at a later EKG at a Navy clinic, Suggest you print a MSC Medical Summary Form and have your Dr. fill it out and see if the examiner will include it with the exam results. Maybe being proactive will work for you. Good luck.

[QUOTE=civmar;194368]If your condition is one that would show up in a normal physical exam, or at a later EKG at a Navy clinic, Suggest you print a MSC Medical Summary Form and have your Dr. fill it out and see if the examiner will include it with the exam results. Maybe being proactive will work for you. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

[I]First, Thank you for taking the time to respond![/I]

Huh? What’s an examiner? This is a serious condition, I will be disclosing it and MSC Medical will absolutely know about it. But I’m not exactly sure what you were communicating to me?
I think what you’re saying is already have the MSC disclosure form filled out and include it with my medical application?
That doesn’t address my dilemma of taking 3 weeks of classes only to then find out I can’t work.

My question is simple; Is there a chance they’ll be ok with my new condition or will they make me wait a year or…list me as unfit? I’m hoping I get lucky and some MSC person either had my condition or for knows how I can find out MSC’s policy on my condition.

Thanks again!

Knowing what some of my MM&P friends went through to get all those classes it might be worth getting them done with hopes you can breeze through the physical. In the case that it takes you a year to resolve the medical issues it will be much easier to get into one class (Small arms is yearly) and be on your way instead of trying to get into all of them.

[QUOTE=GLMASailor;194372]Knowing what some of my MM&P friends went through to get all those classes it might be worth getting them done with hopes you can breeze through the physical. In the case that it takes you a year to resolve the medical issues it will be much easier to get into one class (Small arms is yearly) and be on your way instead of trying to get into all of them.[/QUOTE]

Very good advice, I can tell you know around the MMP. Except with heart stuff on my record my days of breezing through medical stuff are over. But I know what you mean, especially after reading that instruction that discussed needing a year of stability on the meds. Then again, you know how it is, they ain’t obligated to do sh… If they don’t want me to pass a year from now they just state some other stuff concerns them.

Takin the classes now is definetly an option but a luxury I can’t really afford. I just spent two weeks there in November and been off work since September 14th. So 2-3 weeks eating the buffet 3 x’s a day while the bank account drains down is not so good. I’m more than ready to ship either as Mate or AB (SUP). Plus I’d burn a year off those 5 year classes, but that’s no bigee.

Unless I get some encouraging advice I’ll probably wait until I get off a ship or two, heck I have a year to knock out the classes.

Then wait. Nobody can say yes or no, we don’t do the evaluation. You want answers? Call them directly and ask.

[QUOTE=Bigshipguy;194353]I’m in a conundrum (timing wise) and really could use some input from anyone with knowledge of MSC Hire on Physicals.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I am a wage mariner (like a civmar but another agency). I have a friend in the agency who has a-fib and had some issues with his last physical…he got cleared to sail a month or so after his first disqualification. So it should be clear that there are varying degrees of A-fib, and how Uncle Sam views it. You are not going to know if they will clear you unless you take the physical. Several days prior, avoid A-fib triggers like alcohol, caffeine, poor sleep, overeating, stressful situations, fatigue. I cannot emphasize that enough.

I’m in your general age department. People like us are good at what we do and love our jobs, so it gets frustrating when our bodies inevitably begin to betray us. The best we can do is try to stay in good condition. So I really get your frustration and fear.

I would keep trying to contact someone at MSC who has a bit more knowledge than the lower level gatekeepers, but honestly, you will not have your answer until you actually get your physical. We are all unique creatures- that’s how medicine is. They will get your 12-lead EKG and your blood work, etc and sit down and interpret it, and it may not go your way. Or it might. You won’t know until then. None of us has a crystal ball. So…like I said, treat your body really well in the week or two before your physical. Rest, good food, no booze or tobacco, get some exercise, etc. As they say, “Can’t hurt. Might help!” Start today if you are so inclined. I have no idea what your personal habits are like, so no offense intended- but the A-fib triggers are common to many of us (especially caffeine) so therefore, I mention them.

I wish you luck. Let us know how it turns out for you.