Mr. Cavo: STCW...again

<div>Mr. Cavo,</div>
<div> </div>
<div>My “Letter of Deficiency” states, among other things, that I have to provide “ORIGINAL evidence of a valid combined basic and advanced firefighting course…”.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Does this mean that if I take BST, which includes “basic firefighting/fire prevention”, and “advanced firefighting” as two separate courses that they don’t count toward my STCW Certification?</div>
<div> </div>
<div>The reference to “combined” is what I question. The language makes it sound like the “evidence” requires that the courses must be concurrent, as one continuous course of instruction. You’re the lawyer; I’m not even close, but I do know that words have meaning.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>If I take the Louisiana Tech (Young Memorial) BST course and then take their “advanced firefighting” course separately, does this qualify me for the above-mentioned “ORIGINAL evidence of a valid combined basic and advanced firefighting course…”?</div>
<div> </div>
<div>I’ll post this on “GCaptain” so everyone will know. And maybe someone else will have been in the same situation and have the answer or is IN the same situation and need the answer.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Thanks for your service and your assistance.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Nemo</div>

Yes, to answer your question, and I’m assuming that Young Memorial is approved (and I’m sure they are). BST (the firefighting part) and <strong>1-week</strong> advanced firefighting is what they’re asking for.

You need basic and advanced both, but it doesn’t have to be in the same course. If you’re getting basic as part of BST, you can take a separate advanced course. But you can also use the basic part of the combiined course to cover BST, and the combined course is a day or two shorter than the sum of the separate basic and advanced courses.

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen. I thought that was the case, but I wanted to make sure.
This STCW thing sure is drawn out and involved. How did we ever get along without it?
Thanks again.
Nemo