Most compelling maritime disaster stories

That is true. The major change was when the UT 704 AHTS was introduced and became the new standard for offshore vessels nearly everywhere. I posted on this subject in this forum some time back: History of the UT 704

Yes I have also been on all types of rigs and in many different positions during rigmoves and for other purposes. (Sometimes wearing two hats as well. If anything had gone wrong in such situation, it would have been difficult to “talk yourself out of it”)

My general rule has always been to ensure that whoever were Person-in-Charge (PIC) were kept informed of any problems, if time permitted, which is not always possible. I also had as a principle that I did not operate any equipment myself, but always ask for somebody in the rig crew to do so. (Incl. the jacking or winch panels, except if I was the PIC) When “the sh*t hit the fan” I could tell another person which button to press and when, but not doing it myself.

Once I had a problem; I was acting as Marine Rep. with strict orders to be “hands-off” observer only.
When I joined the first rig it was one were I had been many times before as MWS, but even so always took charge of “talking to the boats”, especially when positioning on platforms etc.

They automatically gave me the radio as usual, which caused all kinds of consternation when I told them that I was not allowed to do so. I ended up taking over when tings was about to go wrong approaching a platform, with pipelines in all directions.

A few rigmoves later when the same rig returned from a stint at a shipyard, I arrived on board a bit late due to heli-problem and found the rig being towed in circles, awaiting my arrival.