MMC question

Hi everyone,

An odd question, but- I recently applied for an O/S deckhand position for a tug company I’d like to work for, MMC required…I have a 100 ton masters but it doesn’t have an O/S endorsement on it so they can’t process the application. How much of a hassle is it to add an O/S to an MMC if you already have a Masters, do I have to go through the whole application process again or is there a way to expedite that process?

Thanks!

It should be fairly simple to add OS, Wiper, FH endorsements to a 100 ton master license. Why don’t you call your local REC and ask them? Why don’t you apply for AB? If you have a 100 ton license you probably should be able to get AB limited or special.

I hope so! Thanks for the response! I’ll call the REC tomorrow when they open. I can get an AB special but I need BST and PSC-lifeboatman, stuff I should probably just get out of the way if it takes the REC any time to reprocess my MMC…

[QUOTE=MarkoRamius;171532]Hi everyone,

An odd question, but- I recently applied for an O/S deckhand position for a tug company I’d like to work for, MMC required…I have a 100 ton masters but it doesn’t have an O/S endorsement on it so they can’t process the application. How much of a hassle is it to add an O/S to an MMC if you already have a Masters, do I have to go through the whole application process again or is there a way to expedite that process?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Do you have an MMC, or an old (expired) license. Since the MMC came out, I bevel they have been putting OS, Wiper, and FH on every MMC. If you have the old paper license, since they stiopped issuing those over 5 years ago, the license has to be expired.

I have an MMC, it’s my original document, I went straight from being an unlicensed deckhand to having the 100 ton masters. I guess you need to submit a separate form to have the OS, FH and Wiper added otherwise they won’t.

When I got my100, I just added OS, Wiper & FH. It didn’t cost any extra fees to do it that way. If you apply now you’ll have to pay the application fee again…get those BST & PSC courses done and just test for AB at the REC ( that’s what I did ). The AB test is like a 100 Ton Lite…just make sure you know your Marlinspike as well…

is your mmc only used to show your endorsements or do you also record seatime in it?

The MMC only shows endorsements.

It is not a Seaman’s Book or Continous Discharge Book

i have a cayman seamans book for the yacht i work on but when i start on USA vessels do i have to get a usa book?

The USA has not issued seamen’s books for decades.

You should collect seatime letters from the US owners

I hear that some people also record US seatime in foreign Seamen’s books

I suggest doing both.