Medical Credential Renewals - Backlogged

Just a heads up, better send your renewals in a couple months early. After having sent mine in and not receiving a verification email, I went the IASKNMC route. I got a response that they are backlogged and processing (only) is taking up to and over 20 days. Processing means, taking the email and turning into an application. Who knows how long after.

did you send it direct to NMC? if it’s for med cert only, you can email MEDAIP@uscg.mil did mine a couple months ago and got the new med cert in a couple weeks

1 Like

Yes, I sent the exact same way. I contacted IASKNMC and they stated they are backlogged. There are two of us on the same vessel experiencing this wait right now. We had heard the same thing about taking only a couple weeks. There was an NVIC (I think) about the new process that stated as little as 3 business days. That’s a farce.

1 Like

When has this ever not been the case? The letter with a new med cert says “recommend you initiate the renewal process…no less than 90 days prior to expiration date.”

For example my med cert was due in July 2018.
5 Feb 18 - Sent app by snail mail to REC (NYC)
13 Feb 18 (0800) - received email saying NMC received app and it is being evaluated.
13 Feb 18 (1130) - Confirming email from NMC received saying approved and should expect another email within 1 business day saying it has been issued.
Not sure I ever got the 3rd email but…
15 Feb 18 - received new med cert in my mailbox

I can’t dispute you were told the process is up to 20 days right now - and good of you to post the fair warning - but the remainder of that statement seems a little extreme under the circumstances I experienced. Why are you so certain the backlog is due to mismanagement? Because you haven’t been served quick enough. I’m sure NMC could improve its service but criminy relax.

Not in my case it wasn’t.

1 Like

My last med renewal was less than a week from the time I sent it to the NMC email address for med renewals. This was in April. Once I had that in hand it was about two weeks from submitting my RIG to license in hand. There were a couple of snags on the RIG or it might have been faster.

Dealing with the NMC is a real crapshoot. Sometimes things are very fast, sometimes it’s molasses. It sucks having to do things far ahead of time, it sucks more to be sitting on the beach because the date on some piece of paper has passed.

There is an FAQ (see #16) on the NMC website that says:

1. How long will it take for me to receive my medical certificate from the NMC?

Processing times will vary depending on the medical condition(s) reported and supplemental information provided. If your application is not filled out properly or if we require additional information to complete your evaluation, the processing will be delayed. On average, the majority of applications are processed and certificates are mailed in less than 3 working days.

This statement does qualify that it applies to “the majority” of applications, and likely is for “clean” applications with no medical issues. If there are issues (i.e. you answered “yes” to any of the questions) it’s going to take longer. The majority of applications at NMC are clean and do not need extensive medical review.

Please pay attention to the (I think) part of the comment about an NVIC. I found where I read that info and it wasn’t an NVIC. It was on a guidance memo that you are quoting. Let’s look at that memo:

#14: How will I know if the NMC has received my email? You will receive a same day email response from the NMC indicating receipt.

Well that is a farce. After a week of awaiting a response for my submission, I went the IASKNMC route, and got a response about once a submission is processed, then it is turned into an application and notice is sent. If someone can explain how to post a pic on here, I’ll prove it. The same thing with the response about taking 20 days or longer.

#16. Deals with How long will it take for me to receive my medical certificate from the NMC?
Processing time will vary depending on the medical condition(s) reported and supplemental info provided. On average the majority of applications are processed and certificates are mailed in less than 3 working days.

So I was wrong on where I had read the info, but the info was provided by the NMC.

I think there’s an echo here, with a 42 minute delay.

2 Likes

Mine took an equally long time. There was definitely no receipt email within 24 hours. Think it took 3 weeks before mine was “received.”