Mate of tow NC to inland/western rivers

Tying to clear up some confusion. I hold a 1600 ton mate with mate of tow near coastal. Does the NC mate of tow still allow an individual to operate on an inland route? Western rivers route? I’m assuming western rivers still isn’t covered but looking for clarification on the inland routes.

[QUOTE=ItsJody;194678]Tying to clear up some confusion. I hold a 1600 ton mate with mate of tow near coastal. Does the NC mate of tow still allow an individual to operate on an inland route? Western rivers route? I’m assuming western rivers still isn’t covered but looking for clarification on the inland routes.[/QUOTE]

Is your inland TOAR checked off?

No, just oceans/NC

You can operate on an inland route but not a western rivers route with NC endorsement.

Which is total bullshit because there are more check offs on the Inland TOAR than the NC TOAR… I know- I did them both.

And to top it off, try going from Inland/Western Rivers to Near Coastal. I’ve basically been told: “Start over as a deckhand”. My reply: ”Piss Off”.

You could go to Diamond Marine or NorthEast Maritime or someplace like that and they will sign it off in a day.

The easy way is to get Master of Towing Oceans/NC first, then you are entitled to sit for the Western Rivers Mate of Towing exam without having any Western Rivers “seatime.”

I hear that it’s possible to find Western Rivers Mate jobs, they don’t use the term “Mate” they say “Pilot.” I hear that a necessary phrase to use when you call companies is to tell them that you want to “post for pilot.” I do not have any firsthand experience; just what I hear.

That will get you the license, but you can’t use it without western rivers time, see 46 CFR 11.465(b):

Before serving as mate (pilot) of towing vessels on the Western Rivers, mariners must possess 90 days of observation and training and have their MMC include an endorsement for Western Rivers.

I went this route and my license says mate of tow, western rivers. Does this mean I cant work under that license without 90 days?

What all did you have to take for the exam?

Nav gen western rivers

Western rivers chart plot.

Increase in scope from Great Lakes

The way I understand it is that I need 90 days ob&training to advance to Master Western Rivers

Which is the same requirement if you just get a WR Toar and 90 Day’s?

I was hoping the mate license would allow me to work as mate for the 90 days rather than deckhand or trainee.