Master OSV 3000

Can anyone shed some light on this ? The way I understand it is that a master OSV 3000 will get a mate 10,000 OSV when the mariner renews his license. So does that mean he has an option to go to 3rd without testing? Just curious. Found that in the marine safety manual

In addition, mariners holding an endorsement as Master of OSVs of Less Than 1,600 GRT/3,000 GT ITC will be issued an endorsement for Mate OSV with a tonnage authority “Less Than 10,000 GRT/GT ITC.” This Mate OSV endorsement will be added when the mariner renews their credential, or upon application from the mariner.

Doubtful. The rule was never about what license you held but whether you took the mate test after 2002. If, for dinner reason, you were to be given a Mate 1600 without testing that doesn’t allow you to upgrade to 3M.

No. The test is required for 3rd Mate.

I don’t think you could have found that in the Marine Safety Manual. The MSM was last updated in 1999, 15 years before the Mate OSV endorsement for less than 10,000 GRT was established. It was also several years before the consolidation of exams for 3rd Mate and other endorsements in 2002. Also, stuff like that was not in the Marine Safety Manual, it’s usually in the NMC’s exam guides.

However, the bit about Master (OSV) 1,600 GRT/3,000 GT getting the Mate (OSV) endorsement valid for up to 10,000 GRT/GT mentioned below is in the MSM.

Correct. They will get the Mate endorsement as it is now for a higher tonnage than the Master endorsement. This is how they will get the sea time on vessels over 1,600 GRT/3,000 GT needed for the Master (OSV) endorsement for 1,600 GRT/3,000 GT or more. When the Mate endorsement was limited to 1,600 GRT/3,000 GT, there was obviously no need to give it to anyone endorsed for Master for 1,600 GRT/3,000 GT.

Am I reading this discussion correctly? Upon renewal someone holding a master osv 1600/3000 will receive a mate osv less than 10000? With no sea time or testing?

The ONLY “Mate OSV” license now is for up to 10,000 GT.

After my post I looked at the checklists on the nmc website. I guess it hasn’t been updated?

They must not have been. There checklists don’t mean much, read the actual CFR.

[quote=“Ctony, post:4, topic:46226, full:true”]

See Para. 7 on pages C.2 to C.3 of Volume II of the Marine Safety Manual (it’s page 423 of the pdf document).