Mass or SUNY Maritime?

[I][B]This is a copy/paste from my post on the SUNY forum. I’m repeating here to get the Mass Maritime perspective.[/B][/I]

First post on this site so apologies if this has already been discussed to death.

As a high school junior, its time to begin looking at options for fall 2011. One thing for sure, I have always known I want to work on the water.

I live in CT so am eligible for reasonable tuition at Maine, Mass & SUNY maritime. Visited Mass open house 2 weeks ago. Took a tour and interview at SUNY yesterday. When I visited Mass, I thought ‘this is it’, after visiting SUNY, I’m not so sure about Mass. MY GPA and SATs are just average (3.0 GPA and 530 math, 520 verbal) and I prefer hands on to classroom learning.

My impressions=
Mass -
Cape Cod beats the Bronx as a community
100% regimented - I think that’s a good thing
More choice of majors - Environmental, homeland security a few others
Winter cruise to warm places
During cruise, underclassmen are exposed to all majors. Good way to find your best fit.
Emphasis on hands on learning “Learn, do, Learn” is what they call it.
More academically challenging - which scares me a bit because I really have to work at math to get decent grades.
Got the sense that while hazing is not sanctioned, it is still fairly common. While I don’t consider myself a candy ass, I really don’t take much pleasure is seeing others humiliated.

SUNY=
Much nicer campus and facilities
Summer cruise to more distant ports
Tutoring services (if needed) are readily available
Seems like a kinder/gentler academy with less abusing of underclassmen
80/20 mix of regimented/unregimented. That’s got to be tough on the regimented cadets when they see unregimented freshmen with greater privliges that a 1st classman.

So, it’s still early in the search process. Any input from the ‘old salts’ is appreciated.

BTW, have not looked into Maine yet. Too cold & remote?

i graduated from mass recently…it’s a fucking dump… doont believe what they tell you…theres no hands on learning…and if your not nose deep in comcad’s ass your labeled a “troublemaker”…place was a joke…graduated marine engineering

Not sure what you want to major in, but I dont see a lot of Engineers come out of SUNY. I know a couple, but I seem to see more mates out of SUNY. I do however see a lot of MassHoles in the engine room. Most of the ones I know are pretty good engineers. Not as good as West Coast engineers though…lol

There are plenty of Engineering majors that graduate from SUNY, the problem is there are also a lot of great shoreside engineering jobs closeby.

My impressions=
Mass -
Cape Cod beats the Bronx as a community
-Yes but that area of the Bronx ain’t bad and it is much closer to the city than Mass.
100% regimented - I think that’s a good thing
-You’re probably right
More choice of majors - Environmental, homeland security a few others
-I would rather have a school the size of both these concentrate on a few good majors than spread itself thin.
Winter cruise to warm places
-A plus
During cruise, underclassmen are exposed to all majors. Good way to find your best fit.
-ok
Emphasis on hands on learning “Learn, do, Learn” is what they call it.
-I disagree strongly with this statement. There is [B][I]no[/I][/B] school more hands on than SUNY.
More academically challenging - which scares me a bit because I really have to work at math to get decent grades.
-I disagree here too… it’s a perception that schools like Mass foster.
Got the sense that while hazing is not sanctioned, it is still fairly common. While I don’t consider myself a candy ass, I really don’t take much pleasure is seeing others humiliated.
-Yes, I’ve witnessed more of an attitude of self importance from Mass cadets that you won’t find at SUNY. But that is just my perception.

SUNY=
Much nicer campus and facilities
-yep
Summer cruise to more distant ports
-yes but the mass guys get to escape the winter months
Tutoring services (if needed) are readily available
-Mass doesn’t offer this??
Seems like a kinder/gentler academy with less abusing of underclassmen
-No need to haze… that’s what the chipping hammer is for.
80/20 mix of regimented/unregimented. That’s got to be tough on the regimented cadets when they see unregimented freshmen with greater privliges that a 1st classman.
-I haven’t heard many [I]real[/I] complaints except from the alumni.

So, it’s still early in the search process. Any input from the ‘old salts’ is appreciated.

BTW, have not looked into Maine yet. Too cold & remote? What about Cal maritime, far but not cold or remote.

If your goal is to sail, I’d focus on what can get you to that point most efficiently. money, time, etc… there’s great and awful examples from every school out there. if you want to ship, worry about the license…

jtryder…please check your private messages.

Fuji

i would look into how the different schools schedule their training cruises. At SUNY, you have at a minimum 1/2 your summer spent on cruise. You pay $5k+ for the experience, plus you are not availble to be home working a summer job. SUNY splits the cruise into 2 sessions and you don’t know until April which session you might get, so very hard to plan for summer employment. Going into your senior year, you are on the training ship for 90 days of the summer, it costs $6k+ and you have no time to get a summer job to help offset the costs. I heard Mass Maritime does their cruise in Jan/Feb, so you have your entire summer off to do paid employment and/or catch up with a summer class or 2. Big difference to consider.

If you’re looking for the BEST education, the BEST and MOST hands on Training, the BEST training ship, with the BEST crew, and the BEST reputation in the Maritime Industry, you need to set up an interview and tour of Maine Maritime. Once you see the campus, the ship, meet the faculty and crew, and talk to some alumni, You’ll never think twice about going anywhere else.

[QUOTE=irishlagerlad;48718]If you’re looking for the BEST education, the BEST and MOST hands on Training, the BEST training ship, with the BEST crew, and the BEST reputation in the Maritime Industry, you need to set up an interview and tour of Maine Maritime. Once you see the campus, the ship, meet the faculty and crew, and talk to some alumni, You’ll never think twice about going anywhere else.[/QUOTE]

Maine compared to USMMA? does Maine have a better rep than USMMA?

[QUOTE=Fuji;47643]jtryder…please check your private messages.[/QUOTE]

Are you afraid to air your official sales pitch for fear other members might dispute it? Are you making slanderous statements about your competitor you don’t want seen?

I am a current Mass Maritime Cadet. I can’t compare Mass to any other maritime academies. All I know is that we have great deck and engine departments full of knowledgeable instructors with more hands on training than I could have ever dreamed of. Pick a school based on your “Fit” rather than all the hype from others saying how great their school is. Also Mass does offer tutoring, I know that was a previous question on this forum.

[QUOTE=Archimedes;56195]Are you afraid to air your official sales pitch for fear other members might dispute it? Are you making slanderous statements about your competitor you don’t want seen?[/QUOTE]

Relax Archi, Fuji did nothing of the kind.
The PM contained suggestions on how to determine best fit. The message concluded stating that they are all GREAT schools and he extended an invitation - with personal contact info - to discuss further if needed.

BTW, In case you are wondering, I am currently attending one of the Academy’s. I’m reluctant to identify which one so as to remain below the RADAR. You don’t want to call attention to yourself as a 4C.

Heck no! We can all scurrilously slander and defame anyone/place/thing!