Maritime Law on Searching

What is the law on an unlicensed crew member searching your personal computer in YOUR stateroom? I recently discovered this months after I left the particular vessel and was infuriated! I’ve since had to change all personal and banking information he might have obtained and want to take legal action.

In such cases, simple civil and criminal law will apply. There is no real requirement for Maritime Law for such matters. One can also check up employer/company policy in this regard.

[QUOTE=matt21;32986]What is the law on an unlicensed crew member searching your personal computer in YOUR stateroom? I recently discovered this months after I left the particular vessel and was infuriated! I’ve since had to change all personal and banking information he might have obtained and want to take legal action.[/QUOTE]

[B]**that situation is potentially catastrophic!!would hope someone took pity on you and demonstrated how to password protect access to your computer??[/B]

Although it would (probably) be against forum rules. And a case of libel. and another lawsuit!

It would be nice to know this ass^&*(( name so i know if he;s on my boat!

But personal privacy trumps the need for my rights. Oops, I was talking about random drug tests! But in this case, I guess we have to make an exception. Dammit.

[I]Libel?[/I] For what? LMAO. Did you mean, he might be liable? LOL

why do I get that “old gcaptain feeling” that I’m only hearing 1/2 of the real story here…?? anyone else agree?

[QUOTE=richard8000milesaway;33046]why do I get that “old gcaptain feeling” that I’m only hearing 1/2 of the real story here…?? anyone else agree?[/QUOTE]

[B]**the late Paul Harvey said it best…“and now the rest of the story”!![/B]

[QUOTE=matt21;32986]What is the law on an unlicensed crew member searching your personal computer in YOUR stateroom? I recently discovered this months after I left the particular vessel and was infuriated! I’ve since had to change all personal and banking information he might have obtained and want to take legal action.[/QUOTE]

You certainly have a potential cause of action against the individual for invasion of privacy and possibly conversion and/or theft if he took something and used it. You might have a claim against the vessel owner for negligence in not providing a secure location for your personal belongings. However, this would probably also require a showing that the individual had some sort of prior criminal record involving theft such that the company was on notice of his propensity to steal and did nothing to protect the crew from same.

Dear potential client:
You don’t have a cause of action against the individual for invasion of privacy and theft if he took something and used it since you obviously: 1. left something you value highly in your unlocked cabin, 2. are very stupid based on your third grade grammer & the mere fact that you are even here at gcaptain seeking legal advice for something like this: “dumb is as dumb does”.
You don’t have a claim against the vessel owner for “negligence in not providing a secure location for your personal belongings” since you chose not to lock your cabin door or ask the captain to keep your valuables. This would probably also require showing: 1. that the individual had some sort of prior criminal record involving theft and, as previously mentioned above, 2. that you are in fact not stupid. Both of these would be challenging for a lawyer.
Regardless of my above statements, my advice is to send me your next paycheck in full so that I can open a file on this. I will be sure to send you some legal documents for you to sign without reading and after that I will be in touch.

Dewey, Cheetum, & Howe
Maritime NON Lawyers
[I]Proudly ripping off Stupid Mariners & uninformed people Throughout The World[/I]
800-555-6770-Office
617-555-7144-Cell