Maritime Law holding up crucial salt supply for New Jersey Higways

http://www.northjersey.com/news/national/Maritime_law_holding_up_crucial_salt_supply_for_New_Jersey_highways.html?mobile=1&ic=1&iphone=1

What a flipping load of BULLSALT!

What surprises me is the fact that they loaded the ship without asking for a wavier, which I am sure would have been rubber stamped by the idiots in DC.

It’s rock salt fer crying out loud. How difficult would it have been to load a few AMERICAN barges and tow them to NJ with AMERICAN tugs?

A little forethought and that salt would have arrived by now - without turning a logistic rush into a political blame game.

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;130939]It’s rock salt fer crying out loud. How difficult would it have been to load a few AMERICAN barges and tow them to NJ with AMERICAN tugs?

A little forethought and that salt would have arrived by now - without turning a logistic rush into a political blame game.[/QUOTE]

Damn straight.

The problem is the general public will never know the real story. They will just think it’s overpriced Americans who are holding up the delivery. This is just another play on turning the public against the Jones act

I hear that barges are already on the way to Searsport to pick up that salt. Also heard that due to a failure to do much needed maintenance dredging it’s not so clear that that ship could have loaded salt in Searsport.

Maine has plenty of salt on hand. in Maine they know how to plan ahead for winter.

Why weren’t the folks in New Jersey smart enough to stockpile extra salt, just in case of a bad winter? They have nobody to blame but themselves and their own poor planning. They should be thanking their lucky stars that Maine is bailing them out, not ranting about the Jones Act.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;130955]Why weren’t the folks in New Jersey smart enough to stockpile extra salt, just in case of a bad winter? They have nobody to blame but themselves and their own poor planning. They should be thanking their lucky stars that Maine is bailing them out, not ranting about the Jones Act.[/QUOTE]

That fat lying tub of blubber Joysey has for a governator must be somehow behind this…

maybe some tug owner didn’t give him a big enough campaign contribution? Either that or not enough Twinkies!

[QUOTE=brjones;130950]The problem is the general public will never know the real story. They will just think it’s overpriced Americans who are holding up the delivery. This is just another play on turning the public against the Jones act[/QUOTE]

Yep.

Team Christie will put a spin on it like ‘those greedy, union lovin mariners are playing politics with New Jersey’s Transportation system.’

We all know the huggable New Jersey Governor would never stoop to that…

The searsport dock is too shallow now for full loads, ships have been dumping some cargo in Portsmouth, Boston etc before hitting searsport.

Better not give them a waiver!!!

Don’t think there is a foreign ship loaded for it as they loaded a barge the other day, heard $300 a Ton!

I emailed the writer of the article with this thread attached. Lets see if he responds back.

[QUOTE=z-drive;130982]The searsport dock is too shallow now for full loads, ships have been dumping some cargo in Portsmouth, Boston etc before hitting searsport.

Better not give them a waiver!!!

Don’t think there is a foreign ship loaded for it as they loaded a barge the other day, heard $300 a Ton![/QUOTE]

$300/ton? That’s only a 500% markup.

Ain’t Karma a bitch Christie?

[QUOTE=brjones;130950]The problem is the general public will never know the real story. They will just think it’s overpriced Americans who are holding up the delivery. This is just another play on turning the public against the Jones act[/QUOTE]

As evidenced by the comments to this similar article: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2014/02/rock_salt_shipment_held_up_because_ship_is_not_flying_us_flag_report_sayd.html

Many of the comments are taking “flying the U. S. flag” literally and wonder why they can’t go to Home Depot and buy a flag. The comments are amusing, until you realize these are the people who will vote for a Congress that could repeal the Jones Act.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;130993] The comments are amusing, until you realize these are the people who will vote for a Congeress that copuld repeal the Jonmes Act.[/QUOTE]

They are the same people who voted for the one we have now.

When the morons get another shot at the Jones Act, let’s make sure the repeal applies to airline industry as well … after all, why shouldn’t Air Liberia or Somali Airlines fly a load of politicians wives and kids out of DCA to Orlando?

the dredging in searsport most likely could have been completed however there are “concerned citizens” that are not happy or satisfied with the army corp of engineers proposed dump sites.its very difficult to get anything done in that area.im being very polite when i refer to these people as “concerned citizens”.

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;130980]Yep.

Team Christie will put a spin on it like ‘those greedy, union lovin mariners are playing politics with New Jersey’s Transportation system.’

We all know the huggable New Jersey Governor would never stoop to that…[/QUOTE]

You do realize that Senator Cory Booker and Bob Menedenz are the big push for the Jones Act waiver. http://freebeacon.com/booker-and-menendez-urge-feds-to-waive-jones-act-for-rock-salt/

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=c.captain;130960]That fat lying tub of blubber Joysey has for a governator must be somehow behind this…

maybe some tug owner didn’t give him a big enough campaign contribution? Either that or not enough Twinkies![/QUOTE]

Senator Cory Booker is leading the charge on this one.

February 18, 2014

The Honorable Jeh Johnson
Secretary of Homeland Security
650 Massachusetts Avenue NW
Washington DC 20528

The Honorable Anthony Foxx
Secretary of Transportation
1200 New Jersey Avenue SE
Washington DC 20590

Dear Secretary Johnson and Secretary Foxx:

Thank you for your assistance in working with the State of New Jersey to identify maritime transportation for the delivery of a 10,000 ton supplemental supply of rock salt, with a commitment of additional assistance. We urge the Administration to explore every possible avenue to assist the State.

As you are aware, the State of New Jersey has been among the hardest hit states this winter season, with more than 70 inches of snow accumulated in some parts of the state. The Governor has issued at least four state of emergency alerts. Several cities and municipalities are reporting shortages of rock salt, which has the potential to endanger motorists and the general public in future snow events. Reports indicate the state will see additional snow accumulation this week. The shortage of rock salt is truly a critical national need.

We understand that on February 13, 2014, the New Jersey Department of Transportation filed a request with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to waive the Merchant Marine Act of 1920 in order to allow a foreign-flagged vessel to transport more than 40,000 tons of rock salt to Port Newark. Recognizing that such waivers require an interagency review of the national security merits of the waiver request, we appreciate the Administration’s swift review.

We urge your agencies to continue to assist the State of New Jersey in the procurement and delivery of rock salt for the purposes of public safety and security. Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Robert Menendez Cory Booker

United States Senator United States Senator

[QUOTE=Polaris;131013]You do realize that Senator Cory Booker and Bob Menedenz are the big push for the Jones Act waiver. http://freebeacon.com/booker-and-menendez-urge-feds-to-waive-jones-act-for-rock-salt/[/QUOTE]

So Democrat senators are stoopid and easily led…tell us something we didn’t already know?

btw, because you have a photo of Frank Worsley as your avatar I won’t flay you alive. Shack’s captain is a captain this captain would be honored to sail under.

[QUOTE=c.captain;131015]So Democrat senators are stoopid…tell us something we didn’t already know?

btw, because you have a photo of Frank Worsley as your avatar I won’t flay you alive. Shack’s captain is a captain this captain would be honored to sail under.[/QUOTE]

I’m no fan of republicans or democrats point being both sides are pushing for the repeal. Also it’s NJ’s own fault as they weren’t forward thinking enough to actually continue to order salt.

Flay me alive for what?!? That I actually know who Frank Worsely is?!? You know he did do more than the trip from Elephant Island.

[QUOTE=Polaris;131016]Flay me alive for what?!? That I actually know who Frank Worsely is?!? You know he did do more than the trip from Elephant Island.[/QUOTE]

Because I flay everybody at one time or another but I will spare you.

Btw, I am thrilled that someone else other than I know the legacy of the great Captain Worsley. His abilities were legendary but most know nothing about the man. Yes, most know that Ernst Shackleton was the leader but he wasn’t a master even though trained as a merchant mariner.

Worsley was a master’s master bar none!

Tom Crean also needs to be mentioned here as does Timothy McCarthy.

MY GOD HOW THE MEN OF THAT ERA WERE REAL SEAMEN! Maybe because it was because they were all trained in working sail? There certainly are not men like that at sea these days!