Maritime Advocate Online

With so many places for news now, it is difficult to cover them all. In addition to gCaptain and one or two others, this is one that I like to receive the news letter from.

[B]Maritime Advocate Online[/B] (as they say about themselves) is a weekly digest of news and views on the maritime industries, with particular reference to dispute resolution.

http://www.afterofficehours.com

The news letter is interesting reading, sometimes bedtime reading (!) but still interesting reading.

Dear Old Bakelite-

I searched the internet to see the Maritime Advocate and they appear to have a broken link (404). Do you have the physical address on the periodical that you refer to in your post?

Steve,

The link seemed to work just now…http://www.afterofficehours.com/

The newsletter is sent by email and you can subscribe by sending your request to: contactus@AfterOfficeHours.com

Hope this helps.
Ian.

Thanks Ian. Got ahold of a Mr. Humphrey; He is a very nice guy. I have a feeling that www.maritimeadvocate.com will have a “coming out” party soon as they do not seem to be very “findable” on the search engines. Thanks again and have a great day.

I’ve never heard of them before but I do like the joke found in their last issue.

[I][B]The perfect husband[/B][/I]

A GROUP of men were in the changing room of a golf club. A mobile phone on a bench rang, whereupon one of the men engaged the hands-free speaker function and began to talk. Everyone else in the room stopped to listen.

MAN: “Hello”

WOMAN: “Darling, it’s me. Are you at the club?”

MAN: “Yes”

WOMAN: “I’m at the shopping centre and found this beautiful leather coat. It’s only £15,000. Is it OK if I buy it?”

MAN: “Certainly, go ahead if you like it that much.”

WOMAN: “I also stopped by the Mercedes dealership and saw the new 2007 models. I saw one I really liked.”

MAN: “How much?”

WOMAN: “£150,000.”

MAN: “OK, but for that price I want it with all the options.”

WOMAN: “Great! Oh, and one more thing. The house I wanted last year is back on the market. They’re asking £950,000”

MAN: “Well, then, go ahead and make them an offer of £900,000. They will probably take it. If not, we can manage the extra fifty thousand. It really is a good price.”

WOMAN: “OK. I’ll see you later. I love you so much.”

MAN: “Bye! I love you, too.”

The man hung up. The other men in the changing room were staring at him in astonishment, mouths open. He smiled and asked, “Does anybody know who this phone belongs to?”

WHEN the vessels “Eleftheria” and “Hakki Deval” collided in fog in the Mediterranean, the “Eleftheria” argued that the invariable practice in cases of restricted visibility was a fifty-fifty apportionment of liability. But the English Commercial & Admiralty Court (Steel J sitting with Capt Gibb and Pryke, Elder Brethren of Trinity House, as Nautical Assessors) this month held that, in view of its speed, look-out arrangements and a surprising course alteration, the “Eleftheria” should bear the preponderance of the blame. The court held that “a fair apportionment” would be two-thirds/one-third in favour of the “Hakki Deval”.

@ Old Bakelite:

May I also recommend to you the e-paper “[B]Marine News China[/B]” provided by www.gms.sonsec.com … it informs about all recent news and trends on the Chinese shipping, shipbuilding and logistics industries. It is a good read (in more than 20 countries already), [I]free of charge[/I] and is issued on a [I]monthly[/I] basis as PDF-e-paper. Subscription link can be found here along with the archive of the older editions.

Greetings …