Mariner's Rights

Technically the Officers’ Competency Act requires licensed engineers on vessels over 200 GRT.

46 USC 8304

© A person may not engage or employ an individual to serve as, and an individual may not serve as, a master, mate, or engineer on a vessel to which this section applies, if the individual does not have a license issued under section 7101 of this title authorizing service in the capacity in which the individual is to be engaged or employed.

Thanks, I think you missed my point what is the difference between taking your shinny new multi classed OSV on a nun doing shelf work or moving containers it’s basically the same operation but requires twice the manning. It’s BS legislation, manning requirements don’t change the scope of work does but vessel requirements don’t . Two in the engine room for shelf work and three licenses and one qmed for everything else is what i’m not following one would think the scope of work is grater doing shelf work whereas running cargo is less demanding no mud ect this is what i’m not following.

It’s my hope vessel owners follow best practice manning and don’t send a vessel on a job with 2,2,2 for 24hr operations on the shelf where you could easily spend 24hrs along side an asset but how present COI’s are written there is no guarantee. Good judgement goes out the window when it comes to money.

I’ve seen COIs that specify a lower amount for 12 hours or less operation vs 24 hour operation but none that specify a different level of manning for “shelf work” vs other work.

You are right. I mis-remembered on the tonnage that triggers the licensed engineer requirement.

Look at a COI for a multi classed vessel they show manning levels for each class. An OSV that has multi classes the shelf work is always less than any other at least the ones I have looked into.

And yes it’s a tonnage thing in shelf work it’s ITC and every where else it’s GRT if I recall correctly. So your 6000-10,000 OSV when working outside the oilfield is now an unlimited vessel.

You are welcome to believe that if you want to.

However, the USCG and the tug and barge industry interpret the law to only require two watches for tugs under 200 GRT on voyages over 600 miles.

I read the Marine Safety Manual and the USCG is horribly misinterpreting the existing law.

That’s nothing new. The USCG always interprets everything in favor of the owner’s profits and against the best interests of mariners.

An Injury to One is an Injury to All!

No payday today.
Department of Labor personnel onboard collecting statements from all mariners who were willing to give them.
I’m pretty sure participation was near 100% with the possible exception of one of the two recently embarked crew members
Nice to see the DoL onboard but very sad to see that it has come to this.

Still no payday for the crew.
Crew is being told the ship needs to have the deficiencies corrected so the ship can trade before they can get paid.
Hard to believe but it’s true.