MARAD's Mariner Outreach System

I’m curious about the Mariner Outreach System.

https://mos.marad.dot.gov/portal/page?_pageid=35,5996&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

There’s a sentence in there somewhere that says:

“The MOS is important and will help MARAD understand mariners and their willingness/availability to sail during a sealift crisis.”

So, has there been a time, in recent memory, where the government has utilized this system?

How would you, the seafarers here on this board, react if called upon by the federal government?

Personally, I registered. It says one is not committed to sail. Would the world be in upheaval before such a system is activated?

Just interested to hear your thoughts…

It’s only about 5 years old, so there hasn’t been much time to make use of it.

Man - is there any topic Mr. Cavo doesn’t have an answer too! You amaze me with your breadth of knowledge (and a lot of depth too!)

It’s not that big of a deal, just a reasonable memory. MARAD started it with a data dump from our system. We had some discussions with MARAD to satisfy us that they had appropriate protections for the data. Originally it was going to be the Mariner Tracking System but decided that sounded to intrusive and Orwelian.

We wouldn’t want that now, would we? Excuse me, I’d have more to say on the subject but I’ve just been told I have to go piss in a cup…

In the Desert Shield/Desert Storm build-up, didn’t the hiring halls pretty much get emptied? To th epoint of calling retired guys and asking if tey wanted to sail? I was boots on ground then, so all I have is anecdotal info.

My father, an ex Navy Captain and engineer was recalled to help get the old ships out of mothballs and then sailed a couple over to the Gulf. He did not hold a USCG and was sailing as an “advisor”. The reason for bringing him out of retirement was that all the engineers who really knew how to run a steam plant were already onboard ships. He said it was a pretty cool experience and had nothing but the highest regard for the engineers he worked with, he even told me years later that they never needed him there, it was just that MSC wanted him aboard. He also told me that some of the ships were in pretty bad shape.

But isn’t redefining something to make it seem less intrusive the ultimate in Orwellianism?

This system is only 5 years old? I remember something on the license application back in 2000 when I graduated about mariner tracking? or was that when I upgraded a few years later? I can’t remember…

Good idea, I’d ship out again in a pinch if somebody waved a magic wand and activated my license again. The emergency would probably be over before I could go through the hoops to reactivate it off of “continuity only.”

MARAD’s system is about 5 years or less, but that question on the application is older. It was added in anticipation of having to contact mariners in the future, probably influenced by the scale at which it was done for Desert Storm. So I guess the idea isn;'t that new, but the actual system is.

So do you think that there might be plans for using that pool of mariners for anything else? I was thinking in terms of humanitarian aid, possibly delivering food aid or medical aid. I know that MSC has hospital ships, perhaps as a cost saving measure they could ask for volunteers to serve aboard in some capacity. It could be a way for mariners to gain experience on vessels of that size and route. Or perhaps have a group of volunteers who would be available to serve aboard a vessel delivering food aid to war or weather stricken areas, either here or abroad.

Any thoughts?

1 Like

why volunteer… the gov’t will spend the money on corporation bail outs from our tax dollars and then ask you to give your time for free??? Oh yeah it will be sugar coated when they ask you to give of your time, but don’t ask for any discounts on your taxes b/c you volunteered your time to uncle sam. food for thought… just reality. Hopefully it would be one of those paid volunteer positions. That was my impression.

My thought is, just as was already written, they want the info ICO another call-up similar to what happened in the 1st Gulf war. I really doubt there is a “hidden agenda”.

Yes that’s the rumor but they solved that “problem” in GWII (That’s Gulf War II, not a reference to…) by putting cargo on Chinese hulls. Also they took away the monetary incentive that helped clear the union halls during GWI. Remember the big “Mission Accomplished” sign Bush strung up on tha Aircraft Carrier? My wife sure does, that was the last day she recieved danger pay for her work aboard a grey hull in the Gulf.

That being said I registered. If they call asking me to haul munitions to the next third world nation we attack I’ll probably say “no thank you” but if China ever pops one of these within a few thousand miles of my beach, I’d probably answer with a hell yes even if hell is exactly what awaits over the horizon.

John, GWII wasn’t nearly as bad also because the US had to move roughly 1 corp, verse over 2 corps in the first to the theater of operations.

Yes, the military trans-people did learn allot from the first war, and the prepo’s helped this time, but I think the biggest difference was the amount of force being employed.

That said, it was kinda sad to be anchored of KNB (kuwait Naval Base) discharging ammo, and there is a Singaporean container ship anchored next to you discharging green and tan TEU’s. Nothing against Singapore or that ship’s officers and crew, but its kinda an embarrassment to the US flag for US war go to be going overseas in foreign bottoms.

[quote=trekleader;7770]So do you think that there might be plans for using that pool of mariners for anything else? I was thinking in terms of humanitarian aid, possibly delivering food aid or medical aid. I know that MSC has hospital ships, perhaps as a cost saving measure they could ask for volunteers to serve aboard in some capacity. It could be a way for mariners to gain experience on vessels of that size and route. Or perhaps have a group of volunteers who would be available to serve aboard a vessel delivering food aid to war or weather stricken areas, either here or abroad.

Any thoughts?[/quote]

Are you volunteering? I talked with the recruiter from Mercy Ships during our career fair. 2 month min. volunteer contract. They spend most of their time anchored off of Africa. It’s something I’d like to do some day when I have the time.

http://www.ms-information.org/

Go to Get Involved > Positions Available > Africa Mercy

I remember some retired radio officers coming back to man the ships. They were told their pensions would stop if they didn’t go.