Maine Maritime Academy or SUNY Maritime College

That’s essentially true. Operations does have more of a focus on the technical aspects of running a ship. That’s why they throw in some engineeringing courses. While SUNY’s MT program has a strong business component and a few harder courses. MT is better if you see yourself moving on to do shoreside management type jobs after sailing. Also most people that might hire you will probably have an MT degree since that’s all there used to be.

1 Like

I say do MT and take the three classes Operations has that MT doesn’t that are worth a fuck as electives. That would be the best possible overall education.

Agreed. There is room enough to take those classes as electives or just for the hell of it. I think there is still a ship management minor that would have everything but the engineering ones in it. You could probably get a couple minors if you had enough transfer credits coming in because of the way the license classes are scheduled (and with prerequisites).
My hesitation on marine operations is if you wanted to continue with a graduate degree. I think you’re probably better off with MT.

1 Like

There also might be different accreditation. I think at Maine the MET is an ABET accredited engineering degree but MEO isn’t. There might be something like that with these programs that could hinder future government employment and graduate school applications.

1 Like

I appreciate the feedback! I was told that Marine Ops is a bit more about shipping business while Marine Trans is a bit more about general business ideas, but it seems like what y’all are saying is that MT is more future proof especially for shoreside.

Full Disclosure: Maine grad from Mass.

I would agree with the John about the curriculum and I will add a bit to this topic. At Maine you will cadet ship and only have 2 cruises on the training vessel. You are sent out as a cadet after 2 years of classes and freshman cruise. This prepares you much better for your role as a cadet who can contribute as opposed to one who has little to offer. Maine also had a fantastic tug and barge program during my time. If you are serious about going to sea it is very easy to immerse yourself in all that Maine has to offer, without all the outside distractions…like NYC. There were many prior military enrolled at Maine when I was there, they were referred to as non traditional students or “non treds.” (students over the age of 24 were also rolled into this category) These folks were given 1/C privileges after the first couple months of their first year. Living off campus, civies after 1600 and a few other things were the main perks. get in touch with admissions about what they are offing now with this type of program since it has been more than 20 years since I enrolled. If you are trying to complete the program in less than the 4 year norm than getting all the ship-handling and engineering electives may prove difficult. All this being said, when you start sailing where you are from pretty much gets thrown out the window and you are judged on your merits not you origins. Unless you went to KP;)

Good point to bring up, It is possible at SUNY to combine your 1st and 2nd (3rd class and 2nd class) Cruises and graduate in 2.5 years. You must be sure to take celestial navigation and meteorology your second semester if you want to do this option though. I’m pretty sure that’s the only prerequisite for 2nd class cruise. If getting out quick is important, it is something to consider.

1 Like

If you go to Maine I highly recommend taking the class Workboat Operations as an elective (it’s required for the small vessel program) for extra lab time on the water and definitely take Tug and Barge Operations where you get your TOAR done so you can sail mate on tugs.

They also have “supplemental seamanship” Mon-Thurs after school for two hours where you can go get hands on time driving launches and double enders.

I heard MT students complain regularly about how the small vessel guys got all this extra time driving boats than them but that’s really not true. They were just availing themselves of opportunities any student of any major had (supplemental seamanship) and the MT students didn’t care enough to go down to the waterfront after classes and participate.

2 Likes

+1 on his post. There are lots of opportunities to become involved on the working waterfront in Castine. I was an SVO major for my first couple years before I changed to the unlimited program. With classes like “basic boatyard ops” i got to know the waterfront folks well and was doing all sorts of work right away. Even playing sports after 1600 each fall semester I was still able to spend time on the waterfront during the day driving launches for work study and helping where I could.

Work-boat ops was a great class!!! With the whole lab being on the tug you are really able to progress your skills from the ship-handling 1 class.

3 Likes

As @john noted, the proximity to NYC, Newark, and Stamford makes for a lot of shore job options and since I am not 100% sure what way I want to lean, I’d rather have more options with SUNY. Thank you for everyone’s help, I decided to go to SUNY!

2 Likes

:+1::+1:

At the end of the day you cant go wrong either way…

Unless you go to kingspoint…that’s how we got ccaptain!

2 Likes