Louisiana, Texas or both?

After much deliberation I have decided to steal through the hawsepipe like a rat and hope to get onboard a ship. I just can’t justify setting myself back $30,000 with a year of no work to attend the Seattle academy at this point in time. Pluse my dough is low because I’m sitting on an unsold spec home. I’m planning to take the STWC course somewhere in the gulf, preferably somewhere that provides accomodation for the 5-6 days of training. Will try to find a very cheap hotel and rent a car and start looking around in Louisiana and if no luck there, go to Texas. Will transfer from the cheap hotel to the much praised chateau if I don’t get any bites and hope something will happen there. Don’t want to spend more than 2 weeks looking if possible, it will get expensive. If you were me, would you head for Louisiana, Texas or both? Is the pay similar in both states and does one have a larger presence of offshore vessels than the other? Which one might I get more easily hired at? I want to pursue the engineering track but will take a deckhand position if none are available. If anyone out there wants to hire me, I’ll work my ass off. You won’t regret it. I’m ambitous and will work to get promoted.

1 Like

Louisiana. Start in the NOLA area, and work your way down the bayou. Lots of drilling companies in Houston, but from what I hear, they aren’t as nice about door knocking.

Good luck and let us know how it works out!

I agree with gulf engineer above. Lots of drilling companies here in Houston, but they are really looking for experienced hands. Hit Bayou Lafourche and knock on doors there. You just may get lucky.

Not many boat companies in Texas (other than inland towing). I can think of four, and most of their boats are working in La. Pay should be ballpark the same.

[QUOTE=oregonblitzkrieg;116879]After much deliberation I have decided to steal through the hawsepipe like a rat and hope to get onboard a ship. I just can’t justify setting myself back $30,000 with a year of no work to attend the Seattle academy at this point in time. Pluse my dough is low because I’m sitting on an unsold spec home. I’m planning to take the STWC course somewhere in the gulf, preferably somewhere that provides accomodation for the 5-6 days of training. Will try to find a very cheap hotel and rent a car and start looking around in Louisiana and if no luck there, go to Texas. Will transfer from the cheap hotel to the much praised chateau if I don’t get any bites and hope something will happen there. Don’t want to spend more than 2 weeks looking if possible, it will get expensive. If you were me, would you head for Louisiana, Texas or both? Is the pay similar in both states and does one have a larger presence of offshore vessels than the other? Which one might I get more easily hired at? I want to pursue the engineering track but will take a deckhand position if none are available. If anyone out there wants to hire me, I’ll work my ass off. You won’t regret it. I’m ambitous and will work to get promoted.[/QUOTE]

It only takes about a week to cover all of the companies in the Bayou Lafourche area; you will not need 2 weeks, here.
Check out LE Fletcher in Houma for STCW class; state run school, cheapest in the area.
Best wishes to you.

[QUOTE=A Chateau on the Bayou;116923]It only takes about a week to cover all of the companies in the Bayou Lafourche area; you will not need 2 weeks, here.
Check out LE Fletcher in Houma for STCW class; state run school, cheapest in the area.
Best wishes to you.[/QUOTE]

Could someone point me in the direction of a website that has a comprehensive list of all of the companies in this area? I hope I’ll score some points for traveling so far out of state to go there, shows some determination.

There is one site that I know of called gcaptain.

Holy fuck, dude.
You really didn’t just ask that question.
And make that statement.

If you think “traveling so far”'will score you brownie points, you are sorely mistaken. This doesn’t make you special or worthy of extra consideration. If anything you will need to be sure that you can convince a recruiter or co-ordinator that you are reliable enough to get to crew change on time, especially if that crew change is a moving target.

1 Like

[QUOTE=Flyer69;116982]Holy fuck, dude.
You really didn’t just ask that question.
And make that statement.

If you think “traveling so far”'will score you brownie points, you are sorely mistaken. This doesn’t make you special or worthy of extra consideration. If anything you will need to be sure that you can convince a recruiter or co-ordinator that you are reliable enough to get to crew change on time, especially if that crew change is a moving target.[/QUOTE]

I’m reading this the same way, he says he is going to work his ass off - is the captain going to end up at a deposition trying to explain why the guy’s ass went missing?

Or on the phone to the company? “No, I swear, that man did not have an ass when he came aboard”

1 Like

I hope I’ll score some points for traveling so far out of state to go there, shows some determination.

Get in line buddy. I’m 10 hours away and been doing this before you even knew what OSV stood for.

Stop deluding yourself. All you are is a warm body to fill a spot at that particular moment if needed. If they don’t need you right then you are forgotten the second you walk out the door.

Does this guy really think he’s the only one that travels? I wonder how hard he actually works considering he can’t even work Google!

[QUOTE=“ryanwood86;116991”]Does this guy really think he’s the only one that travels? I wonder how hard he actually works considering he can’t even work Google![/QUOTE]

hahahah lmfao! Man that’s a good one Ryan!

Just my 2 cents but I think it will be a waste of time to stop in Texas. Unless you were invited to the office by the drilling companies you will probably be politely asked to leave. Drilling companies don’t like folks knocking on there door like the boat companies seem to do. Just a different world.

Traveling from another state would tell me you came from a state that does not allow drilling, or you wore out your options in that state, nothing more. I’d certainly opt for someone that lived close, easy to call in when needed, things change etc. Also if you live in the area the I’d assume some stability in that you are content living there. Sadly you are looking for an entry job and the line is long for those without a skill set to bring to the table. I’m sure in the end you will find something, but it may take a while, and it may not be with a premiere company with high pay and benefits. In short you may need to pay your dues, and yes even handle benzine.

In Louisiana, I just spent a couple of days at A Chateau on the Bayou B&B. I was referred to it by a Boots & Coots hand, at the McDonalds. Ms Claudette, made room for me on short notice. (reservations are important because she often has a full house) The property is exactly as you see it on her web site http://achateauonthebayou.com/ and she is very knowledgeable. Her price is a great deal less than the hotels and much cleaner. Ms. Claudette took time with me and sent me off in the right direction. I have the job offer I want and just have to do some physical training to meet the requirements. I will go back to the B&B when I go for my physical. The right place at the right time. Charlotte

As far as STCW school that provides room and board, check out Sea School. I’ve never been there myself, but know plenty of guys that have. It’s no Chateau on the Bayou, but it is economical.

[QUOTE=“txwooley;117013”]As far as STCW school that provides room and board, check out Sea School. I’ve never been there myself, but know plenty of guys that have. It’s no Chateau on the Bayou, but it is economical.[/QUOTE]

Sea School is where I went 10+ years ago. It gets the job done at an economical price. I stayed down the street at a cheap hotel. Back then they didn’t have the lodging option. There were a lot of Tidewater guys there at Sea School. Your best bet is to listen to the previous posts and come down for the STCW / BST / PSC training. You may want to stay a couple of days extra and look for work, however, don’t be disappointed when you find the line is long. Once again, as stated previously, you will need to be in the right place at the right time.

[QUOTE=charlottehard;117008]The right place at the right time.[/QUOTE]

The key to success in this industry. Always keep your bag packed. :slight_smile:

1 Like

[QUOTE=Jemplayer;116989]Get in line buddy. I’m 10 hours away and been doing this before you even knew what OSV stood for.

Stop deluding yourself. All you are is a warm body to fill a spot at that particular moment if needed. If they don’t need you right then you are forgotten the second you walk out the door.[/QUOTE]

Wow, 10 hours, I could bicycle that.