Looking to get into the GOM. A couple of questions

<p class="MsoNormal]Hey Guys,

<o:p> </o:p>I am hoping to get some insight into how best to get started in the GOM. Of course I’ve read through great previous posts, but everyone seems to have a little different background. I hold a 2nd issue master 500grt oceans with AB unlimited via hawsepipe. I’ve mostly run yachts in the past, but most recently ran a 43 meter survey ship out of Singapore/Indonesia. I’m a bit burned out on yachts, and looking for more time off than a month a year, as I have a place in the <st1:country-region><st1:place>Philippines</st1:place></st1:country-region> where I like to spend my down time. I have great boat handling skills, I’m confident but not cocky and a hard worker. I have contact info on all the companies others have recommended here plus more, and I’m about to head over to look for work in a couple of weeks. My questions are:<o:p></o:p>
<div style="text-align: left;]1. Where do I start? Emails, fax and phone? Or fly into <st1:city><st1:place>New Orleans</st1:place></st1:city>,<st1:city><st1:place>Houston</st1:place></st1:city>, or <st1:city><st1:place>Mobile</st1:place></st1:city>, rent a car and start stopping in head offices? Anyone hear of companies presently hiring?

1. Are there any agencies that are worth contacting? I don’t mind paying if it leads to something good.</div>
    <p class=“MsoNormal” style="text-align: left;]<span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 127);]3. I wouldn’t mind getting into towing, but I have no experience or ticket for it. Is there any reason for a company to want to give me a TOAR and training? As per Capt.Lee’s past post, is it correct that I will need 30 days training (90 w.rivers) and the completed toar to receive MOT? I would work as mate, but I’m not too keen on working AB very long unless it was sure to lead to MOT in a good company like Chouest.</span><o:p></o:p>
    <div style="text-align: left;]4. Are most of the hitches in the GOM only 2 weeks off? I will work 2 months straight if needed, but I really need at least 3 weeks off to make it worth flying back to the P.I. for my R and R.</div>
    <p class="MsoNormal]The 500grt ticket is strange, as I seem stuck in the middle of a lot of jobs being offered. Anyway, thanks in advance for any help or suggestions you guys can offer!<o:p></o:p>

Where are you in PI? I’m in Subic, pensyonado@yahoo.com

If you call Chouest, as about government contracted vessels in Guam, Japan, Korea, or Hawaii. Might be better than the GOM.

<P>I, like you, have a 500 ton ocean ticket and I’m looking for a job in the gulf. Unfortanately, none of the big operators seem to be hiring. Still, post your resume on workboatjobs.com and rigzone.com. Last time I applied in the gulf I had 5 offers in 5 days from my posting on workboatjobs.com but that was two years ago. You may want to try for a job with one of the smaller companies to get your foot in the door. if you are still interested let me know on this posting and I’ll give you a list of the small copanies that may be hiring. If you can get to the gulf and go to some of the companies in person that may be the trick. Pressing flesh is still the best way to get a job in the gulf. Additionally, let me know if you find anything and where.</P>

I just came down and found work in June. I flew into New O, then headed for Galliano. Rent a car from Enterprise, then you can return it in Galliano if you find something. The Airport fees at MSY airport are very high, look for another rental car location in N.O. and catch a cab there, the day rates are about half off airport premises. <br><br>You will see billboards all over advertising jobs. Showing up is the way to go, everyone seems to be scrapping for qualified people, but I think that personel managers are so busy keeping track of current employees its hard to take the time to scour the inet listings, since they always have people in their office anyway. This is especially true for the smaller operators.<br><br>Most companies seem to prefer straight time , it makes it easier on them if your not coming and going so much. good luck