Looking into TMA

David,
I am an “older” student attending CMA (second semester), and as mentioned I am not at TMA, but I think some of my experience so far might be of some help.
Simple bills such as food and rent; I know several cadets who are working part time, both at school doing “on-campus” jobs (~$10/hr at CMA) and outside of school. I know a guy that drives an ambulance and a guy that bartends on weekends. I am trying to do some tutoring work on the side, and might get something simple such as a Starbucks job. You should definitely try to just rent a room for a few hundred bucks a month, close to the campus. If you have a car with payments go ahead and get rid of it and get something dependable but cheap. Buy a rice cooker, and a membership to Costco, and do not eat on campus without a meal plan.
Loans, both subsidized and non-subsidized obviously can be obtained. I am trying to refrain from taking any out until I absolutely need to (might for the summer cruise [~$6,000].
Try to apply to as many scholarships, grants, and what not as you can. Just don’t max out several credit cards like I know one guy has.
It definitely is not easy; things like mandatory international health insurance coverage, tuition, cruise, commuting, other fees, etc. are all part of the “equation” that you must consider.
If I wasn’t married I would buy a pickup with a camper on the back and just live in the parking lot!

You might want to talk to all six academies. Since you have a BA, you could probably get an additional BS at any of the schools in three years. I’m not sure which academies offer a three year “grad license” MS program, but I know someone that did it as SUNY Maritime. Look hard at the quality of the master’s program. Who are the instructors? The school that offers the best instructors and best contacts is probably the best choice. Cost is a very minor consideration. You can borrow enough, and if you sail you make good money right out of school to repay loans. You get what you pay for.

Heh, this reply is a few years late. Oh well. (When I logged in, it said my password expired 562 days ago :()

[QUOTE=rickmate;125026]Anyone reading this post, please excuse Screwdriver here from his ignorance of Victor company. It can be easy to confuse what Victor company is by just observation alone. Victor company consists largely of Veterans…of course there are post grads, some college and others, but many of us are Veterans. We’ve already been in the military…or other things, had to put up with more life experiences than most other cadets in school, and because so, we are in fact more focused on our futures and getting back into the field…anything else can be explained/seen as a distraction. Football games are important to kids, traditions are part of the college experience, but for those of us who’ve been part of the real world for so long, many with kids and/or have held professional positions, these things just don’t seem as important as becoming a licensed Mariner. Much appreciation can be given for these things but many choose to focus on the future, put our heads in the books and soldier on.

To say Victor company is the worst thing that happened to the academy since the riddance of Echo company is a slap in the face to every Veteran in Victor, but rather, we should show respect for those that have sacrificed to allow you to attend this university. Maybe he’s had some sort of negative experience with Victor company, but to be honest, we are here to get our degree and license, to make the best grades as we individually can, to prove ourselves to the many professional Mariners that mentor us, and build an outstanding resume with outstanding skills, which will hopefully impress a potential employer. We are not here to impress other cadets, but I’m sure if you ever ask for ANY help or ANY thing, most Victor will go out of their way to help.

Lastly, I’m sorry to burst yours or any other cadet’s bubbles, but I’ve seen you guys march, your uniforms, your attitude, and listen to you guys talk…you’ve got a long way to go before you can lay judgement on Victor, a soldier, or even another cadet.[/QUOTE]

If you are Veterans, then you should know discipline and how to follow orders (even from a younger person who doesn’t have as much life experience as you). It’s obviously been years now since I’ve gone to TMA, so I don’t know if it’s changed since then. I hope so.

If you have a college-level education, then you should know that a formation of a company is not the same thing as the people in it. To say that I’m metaphorically slapping in the face is ignorant at best.

Now that we have personal attacks out of the way, you do sound like the quintessential Victor company cadet. I wish you well.

[QUOTE=rickmate;125028]TMA is a great academy, we have great professors, who I see almost as mentors, and staff. I’m not sure what it’s been like in the past but I’m proud to attend currently.[/QUOTE]

I concur. It’s always easier to focus on the negative rather than sharing the positive aspects. I’m sorry if I did that.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Heat Miser;152503]TMA is going to be your least expensive option Amon the maritime academies that offer this program.[/QUOTE]
The cost of living in Texas is much cheaper than some of the other states with maritime academies, and at TMA, if you’re in the cadet program, you get in-state tuition no matter what (unless they changed that in the last few years).

Hey, I am at TMA now and yes as cadets we still pay in state tuition.
Also David, yes there are opportunities for employment here. Just like everywhere else you are going to have to look for it, but there are a lot of cadets here that work both part and full time.