Lifeboat accident on Harmony of the Seas

Let’s hope that this is not an omen: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37348292
With up to 9000 persons on board and only lifeboats for 75% of them, there isn’t room for any loss of capacity in a real emergency.

[QUOTE=ombugge;190290]Let’s hope that this is not an omen: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37348292
With up to 9000 persons on board and only lifeboats for 75% of them, there isn’t room for any loss of capacity in a real emergency.[/QUOTE]

I saw that, interesting stuff. Thanks for the share. If you still can ombugge change the thread title to Harmony it’s not horizon. Prayers go out to the affected.

[QUOTE=DeepSeaDiver;190338]I saw that, interesting stuff. Thanks for the share. If you still can ombugge change the thread title to Harmony its not horizon.[/QUOTE]

Ooops another senior moment. I’m afraid it is too late for me to make a change.
Maybe a moderator can do so??

I describe the [B]‘Harmony of the Seas’[/B] incident at my website http://heiwaco.com/harmony.htm . The ship is not as per SOLAS and only certified using plenty exemptions by Bahamas. I cannot understand why any port state allows this ship to enter its ports.

In spite of this the ship was at Marseille and five crew members dropped into the sea while being in a boat of the ship. One died, two are seriously injured and the lucky two others less so.

I assume the boat was a Fast Rescue Boat, FRB, (and not a 370 persons lifeboat) and why the crew messed around with it is unclear. According IMO/SOLAS FRBs are just decorations and not considered as LifeSaving Appliances and should not be touched. Anywhere! Neither in port, nor at sea.

According to latest European jurisprudence after [B]Costa Concordia[/B] the Master is responsible for everything aboard and should have been arrested and jailed on the spot. And the ship could not proceed unless a new Master was appointed and the five seamen replaced, even if 6000+ passengers had to stay aboard at Marseille and miss the next stop of this stupid cruise.

I assume the ship will just sail away. Europe should be happy to get rid of it. She will arrive at Port Everglades in November. I hope USCG will stop the ship for good there. But I doubt it.

[QUOTE=Heiwa;190345]I describe the [B]‘Harmony of the Seas’[/B] incident at my website http://heiwaco.com/harmony.htm . The ship is not as per SOLAS and only certified using plenty exemptions by Bahamas. I cannot understand why any port state allows this ship to enter its ports.

In spite of this the ship was at Marseille and five crew members dropped into the sea while being in a boat of the ship. One died, two are seriously injured and the lucky two others less so.

I assume the boat was a Fast Rescue Boat, FRB, (and not a 370 persons lifeboat) and why the crew messed around with it is unclear. According IMO/SOLAS FRBs are just decorations and not considered as LifeSaving Appliances and should not be touched. Anywhere! Neither in port, nor at sea.

According to latest European jurisprudence after [B]Costa Concordia[/B] the Master is responsible for everything aboard and should have been arrested and jailed on the spot. And the ship could not proceed unless a new Master was appointed and the five seamen replaced, even if 6000+ passengers had to stay aboard at Marseille and miss the next stop of this stupid cruise.

I assume the ship will just sail away. Europe should be happy to get rid of it. She will arrive at Port Everglades in November. I hope USCG will stop the ship for good there. But I doubt it.[/QUOTE]

Interesting prospective Heiwa. Your website and writeup is good. It was for sure worth a look and read. Thanks for your addition to the thread.

Respectfully
DSD

[QUOTE=DeepSeaDiver;190347]Interesting prospective Heiwa. Your website and writeup is good. It was for sure worth a look and read. Thanks for your addition to the thread.

Respectfully
DSD[/QUOTE]

for the love of God…please, would somebody shoot this CRETIN?

[QUOTE=c.captain;190348]for the love of God…please, would somebody shoot this CRETIN?[/QUOTE]

Someone is preventing that from happening. I see that my factual troubleshooting suggestion posts have been removed from the governor thread while his plagiarized cut and pastes (after strategic editing to make it look like he wrote it) are still there.

So much for the usefulness of the forum for legitimate questions and exchange of information among maritime professionals.

Not to mention the log in/posting issues. It only works from my phone, my computer just wants me to log in repeatedly. It seems like there has been a major downward slide in this site within the last couple months or so. It’s a shame as it used to be a great site. Now we get liars posting plagiarized material and asking questions like “why is oil slippery”

My posts are back … it looks like the posting issues are still around. One time I look and the thread has 2 pages, the next time it has 3 pages and all the post numbers are different depending on which version the server delivers. It takes multiple reloads and no telling what will show up.

It seems like there has been a major downward slide in this site within the last couple months or so. It’s a shame as it used to be a great site. Now we get liars posting plagiarized material and asking questions like “why is oil slippery”

I wonder if “egy petroleum” and “stalin” over in the drilling and offshore group are sock puppets of the kid. Maybe setting himself up for getting the boot.

It should be easy for the mods to look at the source of those posts. I hope this isn’t the start of a new forum disease.