After reading this forum for several weeks and having just gotten my license renewed would like to share my observations.
- Start the process early. CFR’s allow renewal 12 months before expiration date. If you have a medical condition better start 12 months before.
- Drug test. Have this done on the proper form signed by MRO.
- Fill out all forms completely and signed.
- Two passport photos. I tried to do this on home computer and was unacceptable.
- Submit all original class certificates for courses taken.
- Turn in package to local REC. Don’t know too many mariners living in WV.
- 1-2 week wait for application to be received by WV.
- MEB could take 6-8 weeks if you are over 50.
- Check status on NMC website.
- If you have a question- email. Believe it or not the people responding to my email were very courteous.
- Very difficult to get through to a real person via phone.
- If you have any problems contact your congressman. Guaranteed to get results and especially if your congressman is on the House Ways and Means committee. (Money!)
- We will disregard this number. I am a little superstitious and won’t whistle on a boat or ship either.
14.Get MMD, STCW and license within 90 to 120 days if no problems.
Ok, what did I miss?
BTW: JD Cavo has been very helpful. The CG needs more like him.