Large OSV Master to Master Inland AGT

At least, the company I worked for wrote sea time letters as “mate” for anyone with a mate license and as “captain” for anyone with a master license, regardless of their position in the wheelhouse. The NMC would likely reject 75% of the deck officer sea time from OSVs if they realized what was actually going on onboard.

Yeah, I have a Master license but they write my sea time letters as mate which is the position that I hold. I guess my company does it properly?

Partially correctly at least. Are you there “3rd captain” or one of the DPOs?

Even if companies aren’t giving sea time as “captain” to everyone with a master license anymore they are all still giving mate time to people that aren’t the mate.

Yes sir, when we started 28/28, pretty much done away with the master/relief master and chief/relief chief, we are all the same. I may have been on the boat a lot longer and have more experience, but when I depart, it no longer is my responsibility,

now we enter the world of OICNWs on a bridge not standing a navigation watch (such when on DP) and when there are two OICNWs present. Which is truly in chare of the watch? Then man at the desk or the man not at the desk? Maybe neither since the vessel is on DP and not being navigated hence no navigation watch being kept by anyone! The entire world of offshore really should have its own licenses with their own standards for moving up through the levels. Traditional watchkeeping standards are simply not applicable to a DP drilship or even a PSV

I am signed on as a Mate but I am also a DPO. Though we are all DPOs, everyone in the bridge must have Unlimited DP. Now I know that my teatime letter says that I serve in the capacity of mate which is what I sign on as.

From my understanding, what messes everything up is that in the shipping world you have the master and then the mates of innumerable amounts… I assume C/M then 2nd then 3rd and depending on how many of each the vessel COI calls for. In the OSV world, the clients ask to have licensed masters on each watch and then mates as well. We operate well over the COI requirements as far as licensing is concerned and manning. Having the captain on day and the captain on night makes for the confusion?

I know that this has been discussed to oblivion on this forum and that the Shipping industry doesn’t agree with the setup. Is it mainly the labeling/title that isn’t agreed with?

How much longer till this horse skeleton is beaten into dust? Hahaha

Finally nail on the head but what to do form here?

I worked for a Company for a shorty period as CE. Once getting onboard, I was informed that I was the “Relief” Chief and any and all decisions needed to be ran past the Chief at home. I forget what the repair was but it was minor and when I told them that we were all set, someone must have called the at home Chief to make sure he was aware of what was done. Well, I get a call from him bitching me out for not “asking him” before doing anything on “His” boat. I hung the phone up and packed my shit. I guess working on a boat from LA and being from NJ was not a good thing.

There can only truly be one OICNW on watch at any time.

Is the helmsman the OICNW because he’s at the wheel?

Forget when on DP, when transiting they have two licensed people on watch at the same time, but no AB lookout. In reality they have an OICNW and a lookout with s license.

You sign articles on an OSV? :yum:

There can only be one person in charge of a watch at a time. That person is the OICNW on watch and there’s only one at a time.

When does the captain sleep if he’s up for both watches?

If the master stands a watch then a boat with 12 hour watches has a Master and a Mate and a bunch of extra people. If the Master doesn’t stand a watch a boat with 12 hour watches has a Master, two Mates and a bunch of extra people.

Ah, I see then. I guess I am one of the extra people lol

I’m not knocking it, I was one too.

It never was your responsibility after departing.

Tell that to all the captains and engineers who insist on reading and answering all the vessel emails from home, who constantly call the boat to find out whats being done and expect updates on everything then try to run the boat from their sofa. When I depart the vessel, I expect no phone calls or emails about whats happening on the boat, I don’t talk about the boat and I will definitely not log on to the ships email to read emails, My off time social and private life may suck, but it is my off time social and private life not the companies.

I understand what you are saying, but they are in the wrong. What they want doesn’t change the way things are. The CG doesn’t give 2 shits about anyone but the personnel on the boat, period. You will work things out with your relief out of common courtesy, but running the boat from your sofa? Phat fucking chance.

In actuality, no one can stand a continuous 12 hour navigational watch. It is impossible. So in 12 hour watch systems using two bridge officers in each watch, though there indeed is a senior man during each 12 hour period, at various times either officer will take the con with full autonomy, which amounts to several alternating “OICNW” watches occurring within that 12 hour period.

Technically.

Having the conn doesn’t equate to having the watch. The lookout doesn’t become OICNW for three minutes while I step into the head.

The extra people aren’t technically serving as OICNW as they aren’t actually in charge. There is someone else on watch concurrently that can overrule them at any time. Just because they’re trusted to be lookout and alter course to avoid hitting things on the trip to the rig without the OICNW standing over their shoulder making sure they do everything correctly doesn’t make them “in charge”.

If you’re going to argue that someone not present on the bridge is still the OICNW, have at it.

Tell that to the people who have, and some that still do, work 12/12 with only two officers onboard.