Large OSV Master to Master Inland AGT

:man_shrugging: Lack of internet? That was a big one for me…

On that note, now that there is a Chief Mate OSV license and Master OSV requires time as Chief Mate, when are OSV COIs going to start requiring Chief Mates?

nevermind

Umm…

1. You obviously didn’t read my comment very closely.
  2. Look up 46 CFR 11.495

oops…

What about us uneducated U/L officers? People make these unlimited tests out to be more than they are. I’m still waiting on my stickers from the NMC that say PhD Astro Physics and PhD Oncology.

I have a hunch that the Unlimited Master exam is about the same as the Third Mate exam. Probably not much different than Master 1600 either.

None of the USCG exams test the right material at the right level.

men like you usually do quite well in the GoM. especially if you are from the magic three states (Bama, Ole Miss and LSU)

It’s closer to 1600 Master I guess but has a stand alone stability module and another extra module. I didn’t find it that difficult, but I retain information well.

#rolltide #rmftr #sec #hottytoddy #geauxtigahs

don’t you have anything better to do with your backwards Southern life…like working hard to escape it?

btw, I think that fellow is a large OSV captoon in the GoM…I think I saw him once on an AHTS spitting his filthy wad into a clear plastic water bottle!

Roll Tide you fucking BITCH.

you make this too easy

It’s not necessarily true that holders of an unlimited licenses have the required skills. For example if a captain is needed for an tug far more qualified mariners will hold limited licenses.

Forcing companies to pick from the smaller pool of u/l mariners might result in having to select a less qualified individual.

Some people around here are still salty about the Peach Bowl.

traitor

As I view it, this is partially correct. Third captain does allude to the autonomy of the individual in question, as the relatively brief apprenticeship of “Mates” on OSVs leads to the assumption that most licensed mates are inexperienced or lacking in some operational category or other, and require some degree of operational intervention by the Master. A third captain on the other hand is understood as an individual both legally and practically qualified to run Master or at least to act with relatively full autonomy during his watch outside of some exceptional circumstance (allowing the Master to indulge in the prized luxury of uninterrupted sleep). I think in part the title also originated as a traditional small boat honorarium for someone who has served as Master prior, and so is accorded the respect granted to peers rather than pure subordinates. But mostly, a third captain is simply a small boat chief mate in an environment that doesn’t justify the full range of mate gradations.

That said, with the continual growth in the size of the OSV fleet and its enabling stream of paperwork, this less formal organization is going the way of the dodo in favor of more stratified systems of rank. The majority of people I work with hold upper level licenses to some degree or other, though unlimited masters remain rare. It isn’t difficult to envision a day when that is no longer so, however.

So, I will give you a run down on all of the OSVs I have been on…

There was the Master (Lead Captain) who was on the vessel and he worked from noon to midnight with a Mate. On the other watch there is another Captain who, anywhere else would be considered a C/M but is called a 3rd Captain. This guy also works with a Mate.

The Second captain is the guy who comes to relieve the Master on the vessel on his off time. This guy becomes the master.

All of this was due to the schedules being worked at the time. When everyone was working 28/14 the Master (Lead Captain) would work days and the Third Captain would be getting off and would exchange with Second Captain. Then, when the Master would end his hitch, the Second Captain would switch to noon to midnight and become master… When typing this out… it is about as clear as mud.

Each person was paid a different rate. The Lead Captain would get full Master pay for his entire hitch. The second captain would get Master pay when the lead captain was not onboard but then get pay cut when the Lead came back in two weeks.The Third captain would receive a constant pay rate and always work midnight to noon.

Now that most people are working an even time schedule, Each person gets a constant pay rate. The Lead Captain and the Second captain work opposite of each other and never work the same rotation so each one gets Master pay for their entire Hitch… Third keeps his rate as before.

So now, we basically have two Lead captains and the two thirds and a bunch of mates…

Also, almost everyone has the same license lol

I’ve never actually heard anyone use the term “second captain”, a number was never signed until “third”. Lead captain, relief captain, third captain.

I know they still think this way down there but in the rest of the Maritime world when you work equal time you’re both simply “Captain”. One might have seniority on that boat and have a little more say in what’s done to the boat but otherwise they’re equal.

And everyone on the bridge gets OICNW sea time, even though technically there can only be one OICNW on watch at a time. In reality, the master and chief mate both stand watch with a licensed lookout.

Yeah, Relief is more common.

The lead makes all the rules and the rest of us just follow whatever he has set up for the vessel.

I didn’t know that everyone got OICNW time, that is good info, thanks!